Archinect
anchor

Just got laid off not sure i want to be an architect anymore. Help!

ARteMiss

I’m not sure i can do this anymore. Just was laid off. Not sure women my age fit into this profession at all. Not sure i want to negotiate the testosterone minefield anymore. 

Female

Licensed

Jan 24, 18 9:56 pm

I'm almost 51, also licensed. I've made several career changes within the realm of architecture, but at this point if I lost my job via layoff I'd seriously look outside the traditional practice. It's exhausting and so often not rewarding in the ways that - to be honest - women tend to want to see a reward. Not just money, or a hunk of concrete and glass somewhere, but actually improving communities, connecting people in meaningful ways...

I mean I don't know if this applies to you at all, but I'd like my work to be meaningful in ways that aren't about winning the next AIA award or getting published. I LOVE my current job, and the firm is wonderful and if we win awards I'm excited, and I'm never more proud than when my clients are happy...but if I no longer had that job I doubt I'd want to look for another job in a firm. I think the direction of working for a CDC or with a non-profit agency that helps low income homeowners or something might be where I'd look.

I'm learning Revit now but damn, software just doesn't interest me at all LOL! And I can so easily see that by the time I'm truly fluent in Revit, maybe at age 53, it will just be time to learn yet another software and that is why I keep a flask in my desk drawer. This profession is HARD. And wonderful, challenging, fun, exciting, and HARD.

Good luck.

Jan 24, 18 10:30 pm  · 
3  · 
mantaray
I'm sorry to hear that. Mind letting us know what general geographic area you're in? Personally I'm worried we're headed for another bust... feels very 2007-ish to me lately.

Anyway--I'm in my late 30s with kids and I'm sorry to hear your perspective. I've been looking upward lately to see where older women are in the profession and the results are not that encouraging.
Jan 25, 18 7:09 am  · 
 · 
ARteMiss

I started my own firm. I have great experiences with the people I work with and have been watching from afar as the principal who got me fired has failed in every way to bring in work. He's also lost so much money on every project he touches. And yet they keep him around. It's just typical institutional sexism. The men and women I work with now are wonderful. I feel respected and valued. I'm making wayyyyy more money and I'm my own boss.

Jun 5, 20 2:34 pm  · 
2  · 
ARteMiss

Best of all, the little douche bags like "randomised" are not a part of my life anymore. Yay.

Jun 5, 20 2:34 pm  · 
2  · 
mantaray
If you can stomach it, the architects I know who jumped to the dark side (ie: became project managers at GCs) all claim it was a great move. Many more perks, respect, and above all money. They seem to appreciate maturity more on the GC side as well. On the other hand, I don't know of a women having done this...
Jan 25, 18 7:11 am  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

I know women who went into owner (rep, facilities) or GC side. I think OP would have more luck working for a developer or on the facilities side.

Jan 25, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Jeezz, I know of a couple of firms that are almost all women. The interior designers they have on staff are almost all women and about half the architects are. Find one of those firms.

Jan 25, 18 8:40 am  · 
1  · 
curtkram

i ended up at virginia beach last night.  met a retired navy guy that was all about moving to panama.  you could just retire there, live well for about $2k per month.

Jan 26, 18 8:04 am  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

Why were you laid off? 

What area of practice were you in?

Jun 5, 20 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
ARteMiss

I was laid off because of reasons that are complex, but basically, I’m an older woman who has opinions and mad skills and was working for a man who has been getting by on “charm” and glad-handing. He didn’t want me around because I saw him for what he was. He’s still there loosing money on every project after getting the head of the company to fire all the competent people around him. Now, he is able to fail in peace and quiet. I was working in a studio that did a number of different project types. Civil, Documents for higher ed, Community College work.

Jun 25, 20 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
ARteMiss

Why do you ask?

Jun 25, 20 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
ARteMiss

I’d really like to thank all of the people who responded to my post over the years who were supportive. It’s helpful to feel a part of the larger architecture community and you all have done that. It shows your maturity and your ability to empathize. 

Stay safe and keep making great spaces.

Jun 25, 20 8:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: