Archinect
anchor

Job transition. Career Advice please!

contigo

I have two offers to consider and both jobs are very different sectors than I've worked in the past. So it's hard to decide..... I have few years of experience in other specialty sector firm and on my path to licensure. 

I would like to gain more technical skills and SD to CA phase experience. I want to focus on design in my future career. 

1. high profile commercial/mostly high rise/ working with star-architect firm as a collaborative company/ decent benefit/ good work-life balance/ probably not so much in design because it's an executive architecture firm. 

I'm worried if only drawing would become a main job for me, but will learn details/technical drawing etc. They mentioned they are participating from SD to CA. 

2. Corporate/ Healthcare sector/decent benefit/ decent pay/ nice office/ probably not so much in design, but heavy on MEP? spatial planning? Overall exposed to all architecture aspects. 

I am not certain if I want to be in healthcare sector later in my career, but it is also a great learning experience in a large firm. 

What would be good for my career growth? I know I won't be doing so much design work unless I have more experience, so I wanted to use this opportunity as learning other aspects other than just design.

Jan 21, 18 5:49 pm
archinine
It is your career. Only you know what you're looking to accomplish. Asking a bunch of strangers to guide your career is rather unwise. Moreover, despite your wordy post, we don't have much info at all about your background nor long term goals.

Sounds like you aren't very experienced yet and thus either firm will give you growth opportunities.

Make a pro con list, add more items into that- location, commute, technology available/required, possible mentors, people/firm culture, ability to be promoted, any benefits not mentioned such as licensing or membership fees reimbursed, regional or local projects, ground up or interiors etc. decide which of those are pro vs con.
Jan 21, 18 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

I think if you're interested in more design-oriented practice in the future the first firm is better. Especially if you can get to work on really interesting, high-profile projects.

Jan 21, 18 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Contigo- 

I wonder how you answered interview questions at both firms in order to have gotten both offers. I'm sure somewhere in there, they must have asked you, whether directly or indirectly, why you wanted the job. 

If they are vastly different, you must have answered that question in a way that made you sound interested in both and desired for both. I mean do you have multiple personality disorder??

SO: when you say

I am not certain if I want to be in healthcare sector later in my career

WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOU APPLY TO WORK IN THAT POSITION AT THAT FIRM??? It sounds like you lied to yourself and your employer for whatever reason.... 

Moral of the post is:

stay true to yourself and I think you'll find your answer.

Jan 21, 18 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

This tells you how "hot" the job market is. "...you don't have experience doing what we do, but no problem!"

Jan 21, 18 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

My advice would be to join a circus, you'll even get real on site experience building up the tents, have a client facing role, and if you would become their clown can even design your make up and shoes, it's all about shoes these days...

Jan 22, 18 1:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: