Archinect
anchor

Difference between urban designing and urban planning

HarshM.
What is the difference between Urban Designing and Urban planing and what is the job profile after doing master in the above mentioned feild.

Jan 18, 18 8:29 am
randomised

If you find out, let me know, thanks!

Jan 18, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
cnstruction

Urban design is more the role of a landscape architect and is primarily concerned with the aesthetics of the built environment.  Urban planning concerns land use law, zoning, incentives.  There is some overlap in terms of form-based zoning but I 'm not sure who hires "urban designers" except for developers who do large master-planned communities.

Jan 18, 18 9:04 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Urban design addresses the form of the city through the lenses of land use, density, infrastructure, and public space. I would argue that urban planners codify the urban design vision as policy, and landscape architects implement that vision through streetscape and park design.

Jan 18, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 
spedz14

Okay thank you for the thoughtful replies. The confusion for me lies in the fact my hometown of 400,000 people has as their chief urban designer someone with an undergrad in environmental studies, and a master's in urban planning with a specialization in urban design. His first jobs were in planning then he took on an urban design position with the city, ultimately becoming chief urban designer without any background in architecture.

May 15, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: