Archinect
anchor

How to convert scale

ordo

I am trying to scale a house blue print to actual size and can t figure out the math. 
So the blueprint states: 
SCALE: 1/4" = 1'-0" 

If I were to convert 119 to actual size how many feet would that be? 
Please show the work also.

Jan 14, 18 2:35 pm
Non Sequitur
Use math.
Jan 14, 18 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Wow and i was only using Ematics no wonder

Jan 14, 18 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
119 x 3.14(pii) / 1/4” = 10’-5”
Jan 14, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Doesn't seem right because this is the length of the house. I'm pretty sure it's not 10 feet long.

Jan 14, 18 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It’s a small house, likely a tricked question. I’d bet it’s a a plan of a kids playhouse. Trust me, I’m an architect.

Jan 14, 18 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

No actually is supposed to be a very large house. My father was supposed to get it built. He purchased a 1 acre property to build it on. It's an actual 6 page draft.

Jan 14, 18 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t think so. 6 pages are typical for

Jan 14, 18 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Non is correct. It's just a small house. Dad lied.

Jan 14, 18 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

It is for a dog house. Trust me, I'm an architect.

Feb 10, 20 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're a little late to the party, but still, this is a great necro thread

Feb 10, 20 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Actual size: 12"=1' or 1000mm=100cm=1m

Jan 14, 18 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

The blueprint is on a scale so it's not 12" = 1'

Jan 14, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You needed actual size, I delivered.

Jan 14, 18 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

But okay...here's a tip: How many blueprints would you need to lay side by side until you reach the actual length of the house?

Jan 14, 18 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

A tip can't be a question just like 1' is not actually 1' on downsized scale....

Jan 14, 18 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Of course a tip can be a question if it helps you to clarify your thoughts, but in this case that's rather pointless...my bad.

Jan 15, 18 12:26 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It is very simple, measure your measurement with a ruler and figure out how many times you need to multiply or divide that number to reach the measurement written down on the drawing.

Jan 15, 18 7:36 am  · 
 · 
ordo

119'

Jan 14, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I think you are overanalyzing the question. The dimension on the house would be 119 feet. At .25 inch = 1 foot you can just do a proportion .25 inches is to 1 foot as X inches is to 119 feet . X would be 29.75 inches which would be the length of the line on your drawing marked 119 feet.

If you wanted to convert everything to inches the answer is the same:

.25 inch is to 12 inches as x inches is to (119 feet times 12 inches)

Jan 14, 18 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

I posted part of the blueprint, it's not very clear but it's the best I can do for now.

Jan 14, 18 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

You're saying that what ever number written down is actual dimensions?

Jan 14, 18 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Yes.

Jan 14, 18 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Perfect that's what I wanted to make sure! Apparently Non Sequitur disagrees...

Jan 14, 18 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

@Non Sequitur

Jan 14, 18 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes? My math was bullet proof. I can’t believe you don’t know how to multiply scales. It’s so simple and it’s the reason my Pii exists.

Jan 14, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Apparently not.

Jan 14, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

According to Volunteer it's actually 119 ft. I know as a fact it's not a 10 ft long house...

Jan 14, 18 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Please, volounteer rounded up. That’s not how the real world works. I guess it’s to much to expect you know this since you’re crowd sourcing grade 2 math questions.

Jan 14, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Because building a 10 ft house makes total sense right?

Jan 14, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is that a serious question? Maybe your father has another, more capable offsprings to handle this construction project.

Jan 14, 18 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It's probably a small house for his mistress.

Jan 14, 18 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

jla-x At least you make sense lol

Jan 14, 18 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

:)

Jan 14, 18 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Noray,

Not to muddy the waters any more but 119' is a large dimension for an average house. Is there any chance the dimension is 11' 9'' (eleven feet, nine inches) which would be a common dimension for a small bedroom? How long on the drawing was the line marked 119'. If the line you read as 119' is 2.93 inches on the drawing the dimension is most likely 11' 9".

Jan 14, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

I never said it was an average house. I'll post the whole line, I just don't want to post the whole page. I don't want someone taking the design.

Jan 14, 18 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So you’re worried someone will steal the “design” from one page? Not going to happen, plus I’m sure you’ve just stolen it from someone else anyways.

Jan 14, 18 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

You should change your career lol....

Jan 14, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No need. I at least know how to read drawings.

Jan 14, 18 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Its forsure 119'. Its written as 119'-0"

Jan 14, 18 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

That can not be correct because it is not in relationship to Pii. And since it is not related to Pii, the design is not worth the taking.

Feb 10, 20 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

@Volunteer

Those two tips you see are supposed to be car garages and I think is 3 cars per garage. 

Jan 14, 18 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How old is that page?

Jan 14, 18 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Old enough

Jan 14, 18 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I can't read the line dimensions but the last line visible on the drawing certainly seems longer than 11 feet, 9 inches, so disregard what I said.

Jan 14, 18 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So you’ve stolen the design and are trying, poorly, to build it without paying real professionals. Classy.

Jan 14, 18 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

So if this house was built and I were to use a tape measure it would be 119' ?

Jan 14, 18 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It depends on the tape. I don’t think I’ve seen a 120’ long tape thou, so maybe buy several and string them up together.

Jan 14, 18 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

So you build houses but never been to home depot haha

Jan 14, 18 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t build, I design and oversee construction. I can also read drawings. All 3 things you are useless at. Enjoy the doll house.

Jan 14, 18 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

You oversee construction but don't know the existence of the working tools haha....

Jan 14, 18 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Maybe I'll hire you to build a tree house or something, hopefully you can get it done

Jan 14, 18 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Says the wanker stealing building plans but is so incompetent they need to beg strangers online for help.

Jan 14, 18 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

At least some strangers know their working tools

Jan 14, 18 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you did not know how to read a scale.

Jan 14, 18 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

I'm not an architect...

Jan 15, 18 12:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We know Nick, you're a simple mall cop.

Jan 15, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 
ordo

And a simple mall cop can afford a home like this while you didn't even know a long tape measure existed hahhaaha

Jan 15, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not sure why you're so hung-up on that tape thing... they go up to 40' for the belt clip ones.... and then it's the long wind-up rope for excess of 100'. I don't swing a hammer for a living, I tell the grunts who do where to swing. Big difference. Anyone can afford a house if you can all the corners and avoid paying fees to professionals. It helps when daddy buys the land too... You should have stayed in school longer, perhaps you'd be a real cop today.

Jan 15, 18 8:43 am  · 
 · 
ordo

I'm glad you know how to use Google! Glad you finally discovered that there are long tape measures. What do you tell your grunts use a rock or something to nail the wood.

Jan 15, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No, actually, I can't remember the last time I designed with wood. Hard to make high-rise buildings with simpleton methods. Anyways, props for sticking around and playing our game, but note that you're way out of your league here. Had you done some casual research in this forum prior to you illiterate question, you would understand why no one respects cheap wankers like yourself.

Jan 15, 18 8:53 am  · 
 · 
ordo

Haha thanks....youre the only replying you must have no friends haha. But when you're done with your high rise building let me know if the property owner wants any mall cop services I'll give him a great rate lol

Jan 15, 18 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks for the offer, but I prefer that the security we hire have at least a middle-school level education.

Jan 15, 18 9:05 am  · 
 · 
ordo

Maybe this is more clear

Jan 14, 18 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

who did you steal these from again?

· 
ArchNyen

Can you show us more tips so we can compare.

Feb 10, 20 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

119' = 119'

You're welcome. Please send the check to the address in my bio.

Jan 14, 18 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

Thank You! I'll leave the amount part blank

Jan 14, 18 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Wow. So your dad has enough "sense" and resources to build a massive house that he's going to fill with 6 cars, but can't educate you well enough to carry out basic multiplication, let alone entrust this project to a qualified professional? I'm with Non on this one, you're way the fuck out of your element

Jan 14, 18 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Careful... he's an officer... albeit, a mall rental pilon, but still, probably caries a gun. 8-)

Jan 14, 18 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

He's a fucking dolt who can't tell a bay window from a three car garage

Jan 14, 18 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think we've thoroughly established that

Jan 14, 18 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
ordo

It's very interesting how some members here have to try to belittle people here. I don't understand your people's thought process, does it make you feel better about yourselves? What is it? I'm not an architect nor was my father. Obviously, I'm not going to build the house physically a construction company is. I just wanted to know how to read and understand the measurements to get an idea of how large the house is going to be.

Jan 15, 18 12:47 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I'll entertain you, ok? Here's my thought process: I come here for entertainment such as hoping to guess a building by it's floor plan, that another intelligent and educated person, passionate about architecture has selected as a challenge for this community. I deal with all sorts of real work in real life, and in my experience the people who act in the manner you have elected to carry yourself on here are the worst. You want to do it yourself and save a buck, until you fuck up royally, and either blame it on me or call me to fix it. Hire a local professional to consult/educate you on how to build your cheapskate McMansion, don't expect anybody to solve your very real problems for free on the internet.

Jan 15, 18 1:02 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

If your father designed this house, and you want to honour his memory by getting it realised - that's great! Enroll in a building code or drafting class at your local community college, get some learning in you and DIY the shit out of your dreams. Or skip the hard work, but pay for someone to do it. Not really any in-between options here

Jan 15, 18 1:14 am  · 
 · 
ordo

Let me entertain you now. I have no interest to be an architect nor do I care about all the little details on the print. I don't have any architect friends to ask my question. Why would I waste a professionals time to arrange an appointment just so they can tell me its 119 ft? I asked the question in a decent manner, yet you decided to belittle me and my father. If I am trying to find out the size of the house you should have figured out that something is not quite right with my father for me to just ask him. He passed away and didn't get the opportunity to ask. like I mentioned before, I don't care how it is built, what materials are needed, or what it cost. I'm going to give this to a construction company ask them when it will be ready and going to return to my property once the construction is complete. I needed to know how to understand the measurement so I can have an idea of how large the home is. So I don't understand why you I'm trying to save a buck....

Jan 15, 18 1:19 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Because myself and others on these forums do this for a living, yet you expect us to do it for ----- free. Can you do that math? It's not a waste of a professional's time to help you with all sorts of issues, including how to read your drawings - if you remunerate them for thw efforts, it's called work, guy.

Your contractor can tell you how big things are on the drawings, if they can't you shouldn't hire them.

Jan 15, 18 1:26 am  · 
 · 
ordo

If I had a contractor maybe I would have... So you tell people what the little numbers mean for a living? I doubt it. From my understanding, you're also an architect, so you get paid to draft/design a plan. I never asked anyone here to do that for me... Finally, not everything is about money. If someone asked me a question and I had the knowledge to answer it I wouldn't belittle and insult them I would answer it.

Jan 15, 18 1:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey Nick, you're the one who came into our bar and changed our sweet sweet Neil Young Jam to some cheesy pop country tunes and demanded all Tvs play the cricket match. That's why no one here cares to answer your question. You've asked for free work, something many of us here, myself included, make a living doing. No wonder no one here wants to help. Had you for example posted the entire plan and asked questions from a historical perspective, you would have at least sparked a few of our interests. This is what I suspect Volunteer was trying to get to through asking for a better picture. The snark you received is entirely merited. Now go back to your mall cop job and hire people if you want this project done right. You're clearly not up for the challenge.

Jan 15, 18 8:22 am  · 
 · 
ordo

I actually walked into a bar and asked to the bartender why aged brandy is better, while a drunk in the bar started tell his life story because he has nothing better to do. So when I hire someone I'll make sure it's an architect that knows long tape measures exist..

Jan 15, 18 8:44 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

you 'walked into a bar' and started asking everyone there your pant size based on the number of holes in your belt. (that's how scale relations work)

Jan 15, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

This is the "why aged brandy is better" thread: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/130326038/why-are-people-so-fascinated-with-classical-architecture

Jan 15, 18 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

116'

Jan 15, 18 12:13 am  · 
 · 
ordo

how did you get that? I thought we established that it was 119'

Jan 15, 18 12:50 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Jan 15, 18 12:55 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

How deep is a hole?

Jan 15, 18 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what about a half-hole? or quarter-hole?

· 
randomised

What's the scale of the hole?

Jan 15, 18 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I mean 611 feet.

Jan 15, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@ ordo

Your answer is 29.75". Positive Pete gave the short answer - 119 * 1/4. If 1/4" (drawing) is equivalent to 1' (real size), then 119' will show as 119 * 1/4 =  29.75".

Not being familiar with imperial scaling, from my metric/decimal viewpoint, I would find the decimal scale of 12 / 0.25 = 48, or 1:48.  36271.2 mm (119') / 48 = 755.65 mm (29.75") on your drawing. For double-checking, if you use a common metric scale (300 mm long) that's roughly 2.5 scales long.

Jan 15, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"By 2500 BCE, the “royal cubit” in Egypt was determined by the forearm length of the Pharaoh and carved into black marble. It was approximately 52 cm in length (20.5 in) and was further divided into 28 equal segments, approximating the width of a finger. This provided a baseline for others and consistency across the kingdom." wiki 

Bring back the cubit! Good enough for the 'Gyptians, good enough for everyone.

Jan 15, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

If 'mercans were to rely on Trump's hand size for dimensioning things, global material consumption would be reduced drastically... Allegedly

Jan 15, 18 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

That cubit can be seen at the Louvre

Jan 15, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
MDWed

Ah yes, wiki…

Common cubit [forearm] = 6 palms [24 digits]

Royal cubit [forearm + palm] = 7 palms [28 digits]

MDWed

Jan 15, 18 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I was wondering how long it would take to get to the answer "48".  That concepts is far beyond the OPs capacity for understanding.

How big IS 119'?  Also, how big is the OPs property?  What's scale per acre?

Jan 15, 18 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

the answer to everything is 42

Jan 15, 18 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

The drawings state that the scale is 1/4 inch equals 1 foot. Using your architect scale, select the face of the tool with the 1/4 mark in the upper left-hand corner. Lay the “0” point at the extreme left end of this line, and read the corresponding value at the right end of the line.

Jan 15, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
icksdeh

This is hilarious. Just use the metric system and this discussion wouldn't even exist.

Jan 15, 18 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

The metric system doesn’t fix illiteracy.

Jan 15, 18 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Kevcas94

I am bidding a large project. The scale for the plan is 1/4”=1’

The problem is when I measure a measurement on the plan (for example, 5’-7”) the scale itself reads 4‘-6”.

Any suggestions guys? 

Dec 13, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

General note no.1: Do not scale the drawings

Dec 13, 18 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

General note no. 2: See General note no. 1

Dec 13, 18 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Besides the obvious General Note no 3 : See general notes 1 and 2. Have you measure other dimensions in the plan? Maybe printed at whatever size comes out of the printer?

Dec 13, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

General note no.4: When in doubt, ask for fucking clarification

Dec 13, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

You obviously have a reduction of a quarter inch plan. If something is supposed to be 5'-7" but only scales 4'-6", then you will have to take all of your scaled distances and multiply by a ratio of 67/54.  Or you could get a correct set of drawings, but that might be too easy.

Dec 13, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This glorious thread was thankfully resurrected.  I just re-read it top to bottom... and it's just great.  I wonder if the mall-cop OP ever figured out how to measure.

Dec 13, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

It's an Abbott and Costello routine.

Dec 13, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
stevenpagan

476 feet actual size of house

Dec 25, 18 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
MommaDukes

So did the house ever get built or is he still at square 1 trying to read Blue prints

Jun 10, 19 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
barbaravale

can anyone help with a scale conversion? 48 acres to 1/4 scale? Making a model..thx

Feb 9, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Perhaps one of your fellow students who was awake in class that day.

Feb 10, 20 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

use metric scale instead

Feb 10, 20 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

48 acres @ 1/4 scale = 12 acres

Feb 9, 20 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good call, that site plan drawing will fit nicely across 97,000 A1 sheets

Feb 10, 20 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Great thread.

Feb 10, 20 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: