Archinect
anchor

Career Path/Education questions

chrisjones

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, and had a few questions.

I'm 32, live 30 minutes from NYC and have had a wide career path over the years that is starting to become a bit more focused as I've become older.

I originally went to school for Business Management, took a break and didn't finish.

During my aforementioned break I've had a few gigs in retail management and a few in the craftsman side of the trades.

Most recently I've been working as a Construction Supervisor for Habitat for Humanity since February of last year. Before that I was a Driving Foreman for a small-mid sized residential remodeling company and handled a lot of the office work.

That being said, I finally went back to school this past semester and took a course in Architectural Drawing and Blueprints and am planning on getting a certificate in CAD (9 courses, 27 credits). 

I'm hoping that the CAD cert will give me some of the credentials that I need to move forward in the industry. It's also part of an AAS in Civil Technology which I guess I could roll into a BA in Civil Technology or apply part of it for a B.Arch

All in all, I'm hoping to land a job where I can work for a company acting as a Projector Manager/Draftsman or Designer.

Is this a viable career path? What type of internships should I be looking for while I attend school? What other programs should I take classes in or learn on my own? It seems like BIM is mentioned a lot in job postings.

All in all, I'm interested in the field of Architecture but don't necessarily need to become an Architect. I feel that my years of relevant work experience might be able to land me a job if I have some continued involvement on site. I'd like to be able to do design and be creative at some point but realize that I'll have to pay my dues/earn my salt.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time in reading this.

Dec 24, 17 10:16 am
archinine
It's not always the case but often there is a pretty significant divide between architect/designer and on site contractors/construction managers.

You'll make more $$$ as a contractor/PM and spend less time behind a desk. Your previous experience is less valuable at a traditional architecture firm but would be highly valued at a contractor or design-build firm.

Learn enough of cad & BIM to navrigate the models and information. You don't need to go through the whole 'design' process nor the associated classes if you have no intention to become an architect. It's a huge waste of time/money if that isn't your end goal.

Your best bet is taking more classes in project & construction management, possibly getting a certificate or associates degree, building off of what you already know and in remaining on the side of the AEC field in which your investments in training will actually pay off in terms of achieving a higher salary.

Best of luck.
Dec 24, 17 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: