Archinect
anchor

Why isn't Architecture a direct commission in the Military

nickmarsala

I never understood why in the Army for example that is the case. I would think of any branch of the Military that the Army would be in need of people who can design and build structures for them considering the area that they operate on.

Dec 24, 17 1:43 am
nickmarsala

Have there ever been any efforts or arguments made to try to make Architecture a commissioned officer position?

Dec 24, 17 1:48 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

There are...

If you're willing to use the search button.

Dec 24, 17 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Outsourced, like everything else. Generally no-contract bids handed to specified parties.

Dec 24, 17 9:34 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

The military is more about knocking buildings down than putting them up.

Dec 24, 17 9:43 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

When you say outsource I take it you mean to foriegn companies?

Dec 24, 17 10:55 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Not really, most military buildings are designed in the USA by giant engineering companies with a staff of in-house architects.

Dec 24, 17 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

Now wait a second wouldn't it be more cost effective for the Military to just do it themselves instead of having an outside source do it?

Dec 25, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Maybe, but that's not the current process.

Dec 26, 17 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

How can I find more information regarding this topic of what would be more cost effective?

Dec 27, 17 12:53 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

I get that they blow things up but with so many Army posts I would think they have a need to build.

Dec 24, 17 10:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What is the question? If you spend 1/2 a minute on the internet, USAJOBS

Dec 24, 17 11:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Check Malkit Shoshan's work and her previous Dutch entry at the Venice architecture biennale. It deals exactly with the topic of introducing design and architecture into military peace keeping operations, not just their base layout but how architecture can be used to improve local peoples lives and conditions, leave a legacy behind when the soldiers have left.

Dec 24, 17 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

Thank you for that. I will check out Malkit Shoshan and see what she says 

Dec 24, 17 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: