Archinect
anchor

How to build a small house

Elexanyc

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum, I am an  architect in New York City and I want to build my own small house upstate. I am embarrassed to say that I have little experience in building a house from start to finish, I wonder if anyone could recommend some books to look into. I think it could be a great learning experience. I stumbled upon a series of books "from pros to pros". Are there perhaps any seminars I could attend? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much 

Dec 23, 17 11:26 am
citizen

It's the same as building a huge house, only you stop much sooner.  ;o]

(Sorry.)

No embarrassment called for!  Many of us haven't gone through every step.  It'll be an adventure.

To Christopher's very good suggestion, I'd add the great importance of researching local codes, both building and planning.  Some smaller jurisdictions' point of pride is a unique set of regulations or overlays.  Misreads or bad assumptions early on can cause heartache and extra cost.  I'd strongly recommend an early meeting with officials.  Good luck!

Dec 23, 17 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

+++ "Yessir, of course, sir. And, may I say, sir, that is one handsome crewcut!"

Dec 23, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Chris and citizen are spot-on. To them I can only add play it straight. Experienced construction people will sniff out a poser before the car door opens. 

Think like water (and snow and ice). Don't put windows and doors where snow will pile up against them or where the roof will drain on them. Gutters are bad design, they freeze and back up. Avoid plumbing in exterior walls that will freeze. Study the traditional local vernacular, there are reasons for it. Utilize the knowledge and experience of the local contractors. 

Dec 23, 17 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

This is Small House, CA and necessary details for one story construction. So easy as you want to be here.

Dec 23, 17 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Fine Homebuilding and The Journal of Light Construction are both magazines with a lot of practical articles on how to build houses, geared toward construction professionals rather than homeowners, but accessible to anyone. Both publish various anthologies, and JLC puts on annual conferences. I happen to be a contributing editor for Fine Homebuilding, but I would still recommend them if that was not the case. 

http://www.finehomebuilding.co...

http://www.jlconline.com/

Dec 24, 17 10:42 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Yeah, FHB straddles a few categories and doesn't really fit one niche, but it still has good content. Interesting that you know Richard; I've known him (online) for a long time.

Dec 25, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Oh, different guy then.

Dec 25, 17 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Every year the homes constructed as part of the Solar Decathlon make their construction documents available online. Some teams are much better then others, but it may be a helpful resource to see how some small, energy efficient homes are documented. 

Solar Decathlon 2017

Dec 27, 17 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

The Solar Decathlon is great. The company where I used to work is involved in next year's competition: https://www.ecocor.us/news/see-passive-house-features-from-teammtl-s-entry-in-the-2018-solar-decathlon.

Dec 28, 17 9:22 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

elexanyc,

Are you planning to design and build, or just the design and hire a builder?  In either case, take a look at the local municipal website, they probably have a decent list of what they expect to see on residential drawings and can give you a good idea of what their approval process involves. 

You might want to take a special look at the energy code too. I expect the requirements are different for sfr vs everything else.

I just flipped though a house one of my old bosses did for himself, a pretty standard mcmansion took 7 sheets

Dec 27, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

How to build a small house? With tiny hands!

Dec 28, 17 1:46 am  · 
 · 
randomised

At least I'm consistent if not predictable, wanted to post this exact response 2.5 yrs later...thanks spammer.

Jun 5, 20 10:33 am  · 
 · 
AE12Pr

how?
simply

in fact it's better to call friends

Jun 8, 20 5:07 am  · 
 · 
architectR

Hi Elexanyc. Were you able to build your house? If so, can you share some ideas? 

I am an electrical engineer from Alberta, Canada and I am passionate about architecture, particularly about modern homes design and brutalist architecture. I found your post through a google search where I was asking the same question. I would also like to build a small house. 

Thanks for the book suggestion. I think a good way to find out how to design and build houses would be to interview people who do that. Find companies that build houses and contact some of their architects or building designers through LinkedIn. Then ask for help; they will probably be able to give you an idea of everything you need to learn and point you in the right direction. If you find other books or knowledge please share with us.

Feb 12, 21 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: