Archinect
anchor

Where should I study my Master in Architecture?

kevhsyoon

The post might be quite long... sorry, but I hope you guys can really give me a truthful advise and really help me out here with this huge dilemma decision.

I have always been just referencing Archinect for any indirect informations that might further broaden my perspective, but I think this is the first time for me to actually post and start a new thread.

So I wanted ask opinions on my further Master Degree in Architecture and where I should study, and what might potentially be the best option for me.

I have graduated in the UK and gained BSc (RIBA Part1). For my master courses I have shortlisted according to my personal values and style amongst many of the architecture schools around the world with extensive research (as much as I can).

Since my previous undergraduate degree has much relied on a strong studio and design led teaching style, I kind of searched for a school that might offer either solid background in History / Theory / Technology or at least puts an emphasis on it or much neutral than my previous school.

To me by far I am considering the following architecture schools (alphabetical)...

- AA School [UK]: AA Diploma (Year 4-5)

- ETH Zurich [EU | Switzerland]: Master in Architecture (MSc ETH Arch)

- Harvard GSD [US]: MArch 1 (Not 2!!)

- IoA, University of the Applied Arts Vienna [EU | Austria]: MArch

- TU Delft [EU | Netherlands]: MSc in Architecture Pathway

Obviously, I HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN AN OFFER TO ANY OF THE ABOVE INSTITUTION NOR HAVE I APPLIED TO ANY YET, so it is pretty clear that someone might say that it is not late to decide afterwards, but here is the part where there is a big dilemma. I am confident in English (not my mother tongue), but if I were to apply for ETH or IoA, I must study German to a extremely high level which is apparently C1. I am considering I will be spending at least 2 years (whilst continuously working at an office) learning the new language from scratch. On the other hand, if I apply for Harvard GSD, I need to prepare for GRE and TOEFL... It seems slightly ridiculous how they require TOEFL despite the candidate holds a degree from the UK with ALL THE COURSES taught in English... Anyways that is also going to take up some time probably not as much as learning German... for sure... here I am looking around 6-8 month.

At the moment I am really not sure what would be the best option for me considering all the multiple values and my personal situation.

For me at the moment, ETH Zurich is my top choice with probably other schools not even being close to 3 or 4th.. and for ETH, I would definitely devote 2 years in learning a new language to study there. Also in the end that 2 years might not be so much of a waste since you know can speak German as well which might be useful in getting a job in Europe.

I am currently working in architectural firm in New York and by far my experience in US is not so bad. To me also where I want to work also does not matter so much either. I would slightly prefer EU more. For  licensure I have absolutely no preference. It can be UK / US / EU. Slightly have a more preference on UK, but that can always change.

I also wanted to ask for advice in terms of whether it would REALLY BE SO WORTH IT to spend 3-4 month and another 1-2 month on getting down the GRE / TOEFL to apply JUST FOR THE Harvard GSD? I mean what if I don't get in? That would probably be a real legitimate waste of time.

For ETH / IoA I must study a new language, but here I have at least 2 options and the further incentive of having to know a whole new language and a slight potential of getting a job much easier than just knowing English. Delft is being taught in English, but I have heard that it is almost semi-mandatory to speak Dutch if you want to work after you graduate. The only most easiest and rather frankly smooth way would be AA. But.. again.. yes.. I know that getting in to Diploma school is extremely hard and competitive. In terms of AA and Delft I can always apply no matter what path I choose either it being studying German or discarding ETH / IoA and just going with the line-up of GSD / AA / Delft.

So probably in the end I guess it is really a matter of GSD - ETH / IoA. I have seen ETH and personally when I went to a field trip also GSD as well. I have seen ETH students work which was impressive and the faculty staff line up of both GSD and ETH is simply amazing. However, I can not define the quality of GSD students output as I can't seem to find their some kind of annual year book (if it even exists...)

If financial sector was not a problem at all and also providing that you may get an offer for all the above (which I know is impossible)... what kind of choice will you make? and what are your potential advice? Also to me... from some point I decided myself to see things in a larger scale. So I would not get influenced too much of a additional 1-2 years... as long as I spend it usefully.

Sorry for such a long and complicated thread... thanks for seeing all this.. must have been crazy boring...

If you are from any of the institution above, I would really love to hear your personal experience as well!!

Anyways! Thank you !!!

Nov 25, 17 11:43 am
randomised

tl;dr

Nov 25, 17 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
FlameAura

There is a yearbook of GSD students, it's called Platform. The schools
of your choice are very different, so without knowing the criteria how
you came up with this list it's difficult to advice anything. One thing
to have in mind before commiting to learning German, it's not only about
getting into the school, you need to feel comfortable enough to
understand lectures, use it during your presentations etc. Your language
skills are going to be worse comparing to your native-german speaking
classmates so you will be disadvantaged. ETH is already a super
stressful school (also quite difficult to get into).

Nov 25, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
kevhsyoon

Thank you for your reply! :) I am very strongly aware that if I were to go to ETH (if possible) it would not just be about getting a C1 for German. I know this very strongly, and that is what makes me kind of scared to bravely take that option even though ETH is a school that I really want to go. I have graduated from the Bartlett and since English was not my first language I had a relatively hard time competing with other native English speaking students in terms of final year thesis (although in the end with extremely hard work I managed to get A so... I would not say its impossible). It would really be a very tough time and a super unusual decision of suddenly start learning German... that is actually why I think I am really struggling to decide. In terms of criteria for choosing those school is as I have mentioned within their thorough curriculum. I would say balanced/neutral. Because Bartlett has put such a strong emphasis on 'Design/Concept' I wanted to take my masters for slightly more neutral which will cover a little bit more on the history/theory / technical aspects. AA would probably lack a little more on the 'technical' part, but I know that they are extremely strong in history/theory, due to my previous tutors teaching at AA at a diploma level (which actually made me put AA into the list.) Delft as well seems to be a strong and very thorough curriculum in their master course. Do you think it will be too insane to start German from scratch and give it a bit of time to really make myself confident and apply for ETH? I know that ETH is a stressful school... but in terms of stress level... I am quite used to it due to my undergrad studies... but I don't know whether it is actually an insane choice to just decide in this direction.... I know that Harvard GSD is obviously super competitive and hard to get in... but to me comparing to German applying to GSD and discarding ETH / IoA seems to be much easier option to prepare. I guess this is why I am hesitating so much to decide...

Nov 25, 17 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
FlameAura

Learing German woud be very useful if you think about applying for jobs later on in Germany/ Switzerland. Personally, I wouldn't bother with learning it just for the school, as I know how difficult it is (took me 6+ years+1 year spent in Germany, however tbh I wasn't very diligent student and my mother tongue is not germanic). I also don't think in the end it's THAT imprtant which school you finish. On the other hand, break to get professional experience before starting Masters is always a good idea. Also, I advise you to double think the Angewandte if you want to go for "balanced/neutral" options. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Nov 26, 17 4:35 am  · 
 · 
FlameAura

Also- why on earth would you go to US to study with so many free/little tuition options in Europe....

Nov 25, 17 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

I agree with David's list of questions you need to personally evaluate yourself with. I posted a similar thread about a month ago (https://archinect.com/forum/th...) and honestly, you're going to get varied answers here, especially if you go through the past threads, and it will only even make you more confused. Even to the point where you'll question whether you actually need it or not, or if you need another year to think about and prepare for it.

But I'd take the advise (or structure of self-evaluating yourself and why you want to pursue postgrad degree) of one user called placebeyondthesplines:

• What do you plan to do differently in graduate school?
  • Specifically, what "experiences and knowledge" are you seeking that only these schools can offer?
  • Why should any admissions committee choose you over someone who performed far better in college?

Figuring out which program and course you're going to follow is one thing. But preparing for it is another and a life of its own. Good luck! 

Nov 25, 17 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
kevhsyoon

​Thanks for the reply! I have just stated above, but to be more precise, I actually like academical works and 'research' parts. In terms of this I thought it would be much more logical for me to learn in a neutral broad range, but at the same time deepen my knowledge from what I have learnt back at undergrad. ETH and all the other schools that I have mentioned above can give me an access to deepening my academical perspective towards the field of architecture. Particularly the list of school I have mentioned is a strong 'research' based institution, which is the one I prefer. For the why should admission committee choose me... would be I have grown consistently from first year to my final third year every year boosting my quality of work by enormous amount. I personally think I have developed so much in school that I can not even believe I am what I am compare to few years before. Both design and research wise I have always outperformed extremely as well as I have enjoyed so much in researching and developing which all the schools mentioned above can potentially offer me. I do not know whether they will like me or not, but I can be sure to my self that at least I have a clear vision and what I want to focus and further research in the academical field of 'Architecture'.

Nov 25, 17 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: