Archinect
anchor

M.Arch in Canada or MFA Interior Design in US?

LianneSn

Hello guys!

I know that this type of topic has been in the forum already, so please bear with me for another Architecture vs. Interior Design advice seeking post. 

I come from a non design background and a year ago I discovered interior design. Not interior architecture, but the 4yr interior design program or 3yr interior design MFA that teaches the technical side of construction design. 

I am from Toronto and hope to work in New York (long distance relationship). The surest way to do that is with a 3yr MFA in Interior Design NYC. However, I am not ready to be over 100k in debt. I also have the option to apply for a 3yr M.Arch in Canada, which is much cheaper. I will then try to find an Interior Design related job in NYC. 

Could an M. Arch help me in potentially securing an interior design related job or internship in NYC? From some comments in this forum, it seems that having an Interior Design education can be limiting as one is stuck in only picking up furnitures/ choosing wall colours. Most importantly, I am interested in a job related to adaptive reuse, renovation, designing floor plans...

Nov 15, 17 8:03 pm
Non Sequitur
100k for int design?

Tuition is almost free in Canada and the M.arch, even from UofT, will go much further than limiting yourself to int design.
Nov 15, 17 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
LianneSn

Yes, interior design MFA at Parsons, NYSD and Pratt... it's crazy!! I guess my worry is that M.Arch does not cover enough knowledge about the interior functioning of a space... 

Nov 15, 17 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
LianneSn

In addition, how true is that having an M. Arch can allow you to do all types of design? How long will that be possible, for architecture degree holders to enter in other professions such as interiors, UX, industrial design... 

Nov 15, 17 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Lianne, an M.arch is by far a more in-depth and superior degree than interior design. You will however need to get comfortable with building design and construction detailing rather quickly. Just remember than an architect can do interior design, but an interior designer cannot do architecture.

Nov 16, 17 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Bench

The architecture courses will absolutely cover subjects on interiors. You will have many more doors opened to you with an M.Arch rather than whatever the interior design master provides - including working at an interiors-specific studio. Even with many of the more successful interiors firms, I think you will find very quickly if you read through their bio's and cv's that most, if not all, of the firm leadership are trained as architects primarily.

I had the choice between a top-5 M.Arch in the US vs. a full scholarship to a great Canadian masters (150k v. 0) - I am beyond happy with my decision to stay in Canada and go to school for free. I was able to secure a good job in my chosen specialty, in the country I wanted to live.

Nov 16, 17 6:28 am  · 
 · 
LianneSn

Hello Bench, thanks for your feedback! I Do you mind sharing which Canadian school you went to? Also, any of your classmates were able to work in the US after? 

Nov 16, 17 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Lianne, Bench and I share a common undergrad school (carleton) and although I cannot speak for his graduating class, plenty from mine went on to work in the US. As long as your degree is accredited, you will be eligible for licensure in either Canada or the US (and most, if it not, other foreign countries)

Nov 16, 17 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Bench

I did my M.Arch at Carleton. Many of my friends are working in the US (mainly NY), as well as various cities in Europe, and every corner of Canada.

Nov 16, 17 10:58 am  · 
 · 
LianneSn

Thanks good to know! Thank you :) I am applying to Carleton too.

Nov 16, 17 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Seems like a no brainer. Do the free degree that covers a wider education.

As for making moves into industrial design, ux etc. plenty of people trained in architecture have done it, see archinects out of the box series or google specific career switches from architecture. As for interior designers, I've never heard of them transitioning into anything more technical other than architecture, which tends to be quite difficult enough for them. Such cases are extremely rare. Plenty think they are architects until you throw a code book at them or ask them to detail something and they suddenly have no clue and go back to picking furniture swatches which frankly a child with wifi could do.

The architecture training of any decent school is wide ranging and the newer curriculum usually incorporates some level of computer literacy - in this era that includes light programming, as such ux isn't too far away. Industrial is all about shape making, ergonomics, again a topic that will be broadly covered in arch school - interior design not so much.
Nov 16, 17 11:22 am  · 
 · 
LianneSn

Thank you archinine! Glad to know that industrial design is a career possibility as I do want a degree of flexibility after investing in an M. Arch 1!

Nov 29, 17 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: