Archinect
anchor

business advice

MDH-ARCH

Hi all,

So I am currently working for a firm full time but recently got my license and started my own LLC. I am taking on small jobs,  home additions, tenant fit outs ect in order to get my feet wet and feel things out. I made connections with a local builder who specializes in modular houses. The designs are garbage but I am still interested non the less from a business standpoint. 

So onto my question. The builder gets sealed drawings from the modular construction company along with signed and sealed foundation drawings. He has a professional survey done of the property and wants me to put together a single sheet, referencing the survey, showing the proposed area of work, set backs ect.. along with a zoning table showing that everything complies. Seems simple enough. Question 1: what is a typical fee I should charge for this? Question 2: if he uses his own title block but I am referenced as the architect, is there any legal issues? again the plans and foundation are done by a third party and I am not taking any liability for that. I am just starting out do not want to jeopardize my license.

Thanks for the advice!

Nov 14, 17 2:45 pm

Let me know when the designs get better. DC

Nov 14, 17 2:57 pm
MDH-ARCH

Maybe after I get involved they will ; )

s=r*(theta)

Dave knows about this, but me not involved early and often in the design process is like a james bond movie were james never appears

"no Dave, no shorts" (recent Twitter Bio)

won and done williams

1. How long will it take you to complete? Multiply that times your hourly rate.

2. Sounds like you are submitting plans for site plan review. Check with the jurisdiction if the drawings need to be signed/sealed. Anytime you create a drawing you are assuming liability.

Nov 14, 17 3:43 pm
Anob

Wouldn't you want to start with including any overheads (insurance, non-existing draftsman, etc.....) then probably a base fee? Did you set up a basic hourly fee for yourself? Sounds like it should take 2 8hr days ( 1 day really) and maybe adding an extra day for profit. And extra for liability for stamping any work that you didn't verify or having to rely on the quality of the drawings provided by the contractor. 

Don't think there's any liability issues beside the fact you are liable for anything that wasn't stamp and for coordination issues (ex. Proposed area  encroaching into any setbacks or easements).

I'm not licensed yet so giving my 2 cents. 

Nov 14, 17 4:08 pm
JeromeS

If it takes you 3 days to do the work in question, you'll never get any work.

This shouldnt take more than half a day, 6 hours if youre slow.  Nevertheless, you'll need to know what your costs/liability are

s=r*(theta)

so basically you are doing an arch site plan & regulating criteria chart?  something like this I would typically charge 1.5 of my office billable rate. digging out zoning info, landscape req, covenants, neighborhood association's..etc can easily eat up 6-7hrs(unless you are working constantly in same municipality) then getting it drafted up usually take 2-3 times the time you think it will take. then quality control, i usually check my work at least 3-4 times min. easy 20hrs of work there alone.

Nov 14, 17 6:03 pm
MDH-ARCH

Thanks for talking some sense into me. I always fool myself by thinking I'll bang them out quick. I'm thinking around $800 - $1,200. 

Nov 14, 17 9:15 pm
JeromeS

Ive no problem with the rate, but you cant take three days. This is a 1day project, max. $800-1000, depending.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: