Archinect
anchor

ADA CODE QUESTION

BLDG_CITIES

I've working on a project and we are trying to integrate a Stramp into the project a'la OMA (see photo) 

However per the ADA handrails must be provided on both side of the ramp. I'm not sure how they were able to do this. Is there a provision which allows exceptions if alternate routes are provided. I've also attaching a snip of the pectinate ADA codes Thnx for any help. 

Nov 14, 17 1:21 pm
JeromeS

Clue: is that a ramp?

Nov 14, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

yeah, there is likely a real ramp, c/w compliant handrails as well as a lift just out of the picture frame.

Nov 14, 17 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

I looked at the plans there isn't one I don't think this is actually coded compliant, not sure how they got away with this. Maybe it was a provision in an older code.

Nov 14, 17 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's probably listed as seating and not stair/ramp. It this was a stair case, would it not need centre handrails spaced 2m O.C... or something like that?

Nov 14, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Clue: how steep is a ramp?

Nov 14, 17 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

ADA requires 1:12 this looks to be about that. 1:20 does not require a rail.

Nov 14, 17 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

let me take a moment from all the current fires that are burning and direct my attention to yours....

Nov 14, 17 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

brilliant.

Nov 14, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Well thank you for taking time away from fighting fires to post on my thread......???

Nov 14, 17 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

^No prob. I was thinking 50% shoot form the hip 50% social media/ entertainment aspect

Nov 14, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Haha all good I don't know if this really has a good answer

Nov 14, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

maybe it's not part of an accessible route? and there is another ramp hiding somewhere out of the picture?

Nov 14, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

no, there isn't; and that ramp doesn't comply with ada. Code enforcement oversight? or starchitect exemption syndrome?

Nov 14, 17 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

It was 2003 and maybe one of the first stramps, either the code has changed or they got a pass

Nov 14, 17 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

certainly a ramp, but its not an ADA ramp. could be a skateboard ramp for all i know

Nov 14, 17 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Its NOT a ramp! Walking surfaces can have a slope of 1:20.  

Nov 14, 17 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Could be, hard to tell from the picture

Nov 14, 17 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

"ramp seating, a terrain for student gathering that combines vertical circulation and a handicapped ramp in one form"

Nov 14, 17 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1
x-jla

I dunno, looks like it's slopes 3 steps.  Say each rise is 7"...that's a 21" transition.  The run of the ramp doesn't look long enough for a 1:20. 

Nov 14, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

It’s two steps bro- and what if they are 6” steps?

Nov 14, 17 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The second ramp from the bottom is 3

Nov 14, 17 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Second ramp from the bottom clearly has a longer run.

Nov 14, 17 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

As this whole "not a ramp" argument is contingent on the "sloping floor" having a slope of not more than 1:20 ... you'd think that one of you would be able to reach out to one of the 33 archinect members that are also listed as current students at IIT and convince them to take a tape measure and clear it up for everyone.

Nov 15, 17 11:30 am  · 
 · 
arch76

yup- sloped surface vs ramp fixes the ramp handrail issue, and looking at the photo, it looks like the stairs are ok, with all the required egress capacity within 30" of the handrail, no intermediate handrail would be required. The landings on the sides of the stair would certainly be deep enough...It must have been a joy explaining how that sloped surface doesn't require a guardrail because of no 30" side drop occurs within 36"of the sloped surface, and also how no one will ever try to use it as a stair, where the 4" min riser height is violated...

Nov 14, 17 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Then why they call it handicappex

Nov 19, 17 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Can't edit on the phone, why they call it handicapped ramp? See
architects rendering with labels

Nov 19, 17 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

stairchitects

Nov 19, 17 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Concerned Cad

do we really need to put people at the risk of breaking bones just to stroke some architect's ego. (yes)

Nov 19, 17 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: