Archinect
anchor

Job Interviews - Evaluating a firm

newHire

I am applying to some new firms, and I am working on a short "check list" that I can fill out right after an interview to help focus thoughts and impressions that I came away with. I found a ton of similar lists for a company to evaluate an interviewee, but none for us peons to evaluate a firm/company. I want to keep it short - a few categories I would rate on a scale 1-5, and then jot down some notes. 

• Firm Culture 
  • Project Make-Up In Office
  • Specific Projects I would be working on
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Rigor/Aesthetics
  • Size
  • Overall Vibe (just the overall impression, feeling, not necessarily based on anything)

I know this is very specific to me, but I tried to make the categories applicable to anyone, so that this could be useful for others as well (I will fine tune for myself). 

Any other things I should add? Thanks!

*I made a new username to protect myself, just in case there are folks from my current firm browsing.

Nov 9, 17 5:25 pm

Not a question to ask directly but internet stock the firm and see how many folks are former employees recently, this is easy to do on linked in. a red flag is when if you count 1 -3 years of former employees with the current firm size and find that 20-30% are former employees. This may be an indication of serious problems.

It is also hard to ask but find out if the firm (if they have a lot of recent former employees) is on stable financial footing.

Ask about the IT system and if they have troubles often with technology. 

Ask what software they use and how updated their versions are. This can give you an indication of how plugged in the firm is and the principles ability to understand BIM and the BIM workflow.

Ask what are the firms areas of growth and retraction are. 

Ask what kind of person they are looking for.

ask what type of position they expect you to grow into.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 9, 17 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nice list, good to keep in mind.

Nov 10, 17 6:03 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

I swear, Pete always give the best advice around here.

Nov 10, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

These questions matter if you want to stay with a firm long term. 

What you'll find is that within the first month, your bosses will immediately know if you've oversold yourself or undersold yourself in terms of your skills for the job you were hired to do.

If you have oversold yourself, chances are that you will either be fired/laid off really fast, or you will have to put in that much extra effort to show progress. First impressions matter and its extremely easy to lose trust from managers in the beginning. If you start making careless mistakes or don't go the extra mile to do the job correctly - someone will have to pick up the slack and it usually falls on the project manager to insure that this happens. The Project Manager reports to the principal and its the principal who hired you. If you are the underperforming PM, your principal will notice immediately, or if not immediately, down the road when your projects start having change orders or have eaten up the entire fee. 

I'd suggest you focus less on things like "firm culture" etc, etc. and more on whether you can do the job well for which you were hired. If you exceed expectations, you can make the firm whatever you want it to be and if you can't, well - start your own. 

You're not at work to socialize, make a difference, or whatever other idealistic views you have. You are there to do a job for someone else who has hired you.

As Peter Zumthor said:

" To do my kind of architecture I need people to help me, I need talent, and to talk and discuss and so on but I cannot delegate the work to them."

Nov 9, 17 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised
You're not at work to socialize, make a difference, or whatever other idealistic views you have. You are there to do a job for someone else who has hired you

I'm not only at work to do a job...I'm there because I choose to be there
Nov 10, 17 3:54 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Your Zumthor quote mentions socializing by the way. Not sure if you caught on to that?

Nov 10, 17 5:29 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I would ask about workflow. (Do they use BIM, which programs, etc.,?) But also understanding size of design teams, if they work in teams from beginning of project through to the end or do they hand things off to different departments. If you are manager level, how many people you would typically be overseeing. If you're younger, maybe a general idea of how many at different levels, and what are the steps for moving up. Definitely ask if they have yearly reviews, and opportunities for open dialogue about expectations and performance evaluation. 

Nov 9, 17 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

also - on your interview - check out if people seem under the gun, a lot of rushing around, a certain tension in the air - the sign of a fast paced, long hours place that may have a high turn-over rate - 

Nov 9, 17 10:56 pm  · 
 · 

Try a different attitude: assume the position is yours and interview the firm. Do your research and give them a good grilling. You'll either impress the shit out of them or scare the hell out them.

Nov 10, 17 9:01 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Worked for me more than once.

Nov 10, 17 9:13 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

This works for me as well. It has to be a good fit for you if you want to be happy there. No reason wasting your time if you know their work style doesn't jive with yours.

Nov 10, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

good advice here.

Nov 10, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Smile of Fury

You have a good list, and I would agree with Miles...you should ask them these questions directly. Also ask them about their plan for supporting your professional growth/development. Are you licensed? Do you want to be? Do they help with that or are you on your own?

Nov 10, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 
newHire

Thanks all - some really good advice. 

I intend to take Miles' advice. I'm trying to psyche myself up to do so :)

I have multiple interviews with different firms, my checklist idea is a way to codify the types of conversations you all are describing in the interviews into a short cheat sheet that I can jot down impressions of the firm right after my interview and "rate" each firm. These things tend to get hazy for me even a few days after, as I think back to how a conversation went, and it seems helpful to be able to remember my initial impressions and in some measure compare firm to firm.

Thanks again for all your thoughts! 

Nov 10, 17 11:32 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
From my experience -
1. Ask in your interview if they are going to put you on a specific project. If yes ask them what project it is. Sometimes you will know if they are bringing you into a disaster.

2. Always read their Glassdoor reviews. Sure, it's mostly disgruntled employees that go on Glassdoor, but reading between the lines will give you an idea.

3. Benefits. Most firms in this stupid business skimp on benefits, especially for family members. Be very careful what you signup for, as things like health insurance can destroy ones finances.

Good luck !
Nov 10, 17 11:42 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Ask specific questions and be observant of what is not said or implied.  Miles' advice is excellent, it makes you seem more prepared (and eager); as well as being able to guide the interview process for you to discover critical insights into a firm.

1. Projects you might be working on

2. Workflow (current, past, upcoming changes)

3. Mentoring - their expectations and yours

4. Professional participation (AIA, ASID, APA, ASLA, etc) - are they the type of place that values keeping up with current trends

5. Benefits (beyond the standard healthcare, retirement): merit based bonuses (cash or otherwise), flexibility in work hours, reimbursement for conferences/memberships, etc

6. Firm culture & work/life: average work week vs deadlines, whether work load is heavy for some than others, etc.  How much of a team atmosphere exists (having colleagues that are willing and able to help you through tough deadlines are fantastic).

7. Turnover and reasons for turnover (both employees and employers are not 100% honest and transparent about reasons for moving on, but there are pretty solid indicators that you can find).

8. I like to speak to past employees if you can find some through your network.  They are more likely to be transparent with you.

Nov 10, 17 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
But also, don't ask too many questions, you will put them off.
Nov 11, 17 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: