Archinect
anchor

Round openings on front of old building - what are they?

defaultcube

Greetings, all.

I'm working on a project which requires the modeling of an old nickelodeon theater and I'm curious to know the purpose of the two round openings on the face of this building (Image 1, Image 2).  As far as I've been able to determine, these photos were taken around 1920.

My guess is that they're fans?  They're on a wall which is recessed into the bounding area of the building (excuse the lack of domain-appropriate terminology) which would protect against rain.  Also, there appears to be some sort of (electrical?) cable running between them.

I had guessed this because many of these theaters were fitted into former storefronts so I'd imagine that some improvised electrical work was common.

Any help would be appreciated and please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks!

Nov 3, 17 9:34 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 7 Comments

Non Sequitur

they also could be decorations

Nov 3, 17 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

They are portals from which the occupied Pepperland can be safely observed in order to defeat the nasty music hating Blue Meanies by playing Fab groovy tunes.

Nov 4, 17 2:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I even found the original drawing!

Nov 5, 17 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

They are pressure relief valves for equalizing interior and exterior air pressure. Without them you wouldn't be able to open the doors. But they were expensive to maintain, so architects started making leaky buildings in order to cut costs.

Nov 4, 17 9:22 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

How do you know they're openings? I'm not sure but they just look like ornaments to me.

Nov 4, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
mantaray

Very interesting!  Those pictures are awesome.  Personally I have never seen something like this on a building, although I am by no means a historic architect.  Is it possible that it's something idiosyncratic?  Or if it is indeed common, it's possible that it's only common to that particular area's vernacular -- I notice the wording over the doors is in both English and Spanish -- and the front verandah suggests perhaps a southern location (my original thought was New Orleans until I saw the spanish writing -- would more likely have been french in New Orleans).  

Anyhow, you might want to reach out to the local preservation society--they usually have a ton of knowledge and resources among the architectural preservation and historic architecture community, and there may be someone familiar with that typology, if not that particular building.  Good luck!  A fun question!

Nov 4, 17 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
defaultcube

Your deduction is impressive! A southern location, indeed: Tampa, FL (apologies for neglecting to include in the original post). Great suggestion on contacting the preservation society. I think that will definitely get me pointed in the right direction. Many thanks!

Nov 4, 17 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
mantaray

Also -- my suspicion is either they were light fixtures, or they were fans for airing out the theater.  Given that this looks to be a hot climate, my guess is the latter.  Good luck!

Nov 4, 17 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Maybe just small (window or vent) openings varied in shape to add a little oomph to the fenestration?  I've heard architects do that sometimes.

Nov 4, 17 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: