Archinect
anchor

Why stay?

shellarchitect

Was messing around on LinkedIn today and noticed that s number of my friends have worked so the same place for 5-10 years.  In total contrast, I've had 4 jobs in the past 3 years (spent 6 years at my second firm) and might move again soon.  My reasons for leaving have varied with each firm, but each move has included at least a 10k raise.  

So my question is, why don't more people switch jobs?  I've worked with a lot of unhappy people.  Thoughts?

Oct 2, 17 6:58 pm
JLC-1

maybe they found what they were looking for? my very limited personal experience tells me that is not always more money. As your reasons to leave vary widely, also many reasons to stay.

Oct 2, 17 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Well stated.

Oct 2, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I assume most people don't do the legwork to actually interview for new positions.  You've got me thinking though, if you said I'd be making 40k more in 3 years by job hopping 4 times... 

On the other hand, under that schedule I'm guessing you never finished a single project?  That'd feel... I don't know, weird? to me...  All our projects, from SD to Cert. of Occupancy take like 18 months minimum, plenty at the 5 year mark.

Oct 2, 17 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

4 jobs in 3 years, jeez, that must look terrible on the resume.

Oct 2, 17 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Apparently it doesn't look too bad if there is a 10k bump each time. Who cares about the resume if the green is coming in.

Oct 2, 17 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

refinancing our house, processor was a little surprised to see 3 w-2's from me

Oct 3, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Well,  there's also the explanation that maybe some folks (if not most folks) actually a) enjoy their work; b) are paid fairly (if not well) for their contribution; and c) are making steady upward progress in their firm.

Oct 2, 17 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Hmmmm.....................Nah!

Oct 2, 17 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

How long since you graduated?

Oct 2, 17 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
I think the OP is bullshitting us. It is impossible That (s)he has gotten a 40k raise in 3 years, in this industry. And if (s)he is indeed that good, the firms wouldn't let her go.
Oct 2, 17 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

I mean, it's possibly if you start at 35k

Oct 2, 17 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It's possible, I got a 25k bump.

Oct 3, 17 2:49 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

So op is making 75k from job hopping? hmm... guess I better start hopping; cud be at 98k by 2021

Oct 3, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe they stay because they're not leaving. Maybe they're not leaving because they have a permanent contract, a mortgage, medical is covered, they want to see their projects through from sketch till opening or maybe nobody else wants to hire them...

Oct 3, 17 3:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Or maybe they own the firm ;)

Oct 3, 17 3:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

People fear change.  

Making the change requires effort.

Other options aren't available in all locales.  

Comfort.

Oct 3, 17 8:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Most projects take several years to complete... Seems odd that someone would jump if already fully involved in a long term project... unless you're just hired to plug staffing holes when they arise.

Oct 3, 17 9:32 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

what's odd about jumping ship for a significant pay bump?

Oct 3, 17 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I find it odd that someone with a CV showing many small employment stints would get a bump by switching. I see that as a red flag and would think twice about putting someone like that on long term projects. Perhaps this is only important in small to medium size firms where most staff do client management as well as working drawings.

Oct 3, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yup, exactly. I am surprised people that "jump around" so much even get hired.

Oct 3, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

NS, I agree with you about it being a red flag, but apparently multiple employers thought it worth the gamble (assuming the poster isn't leaving something out). Definitely a dangerous habit if done to excess.

Oct 3, 17 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Exactly, right now I can poop on company time without much hassle, if I move to another company I don't know what will happen. 

I know these toilets, they are well plumbed and I know I won't block them. In another place I never know what I'll get, could be horrible plumbing.

Oct 3, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Maybe they figure the grass isn't really any greener anywhere else.

Oct 3, 17 9:34 am  · 
 · 
randomised

There's only one way to find out.

Oct 3, 17 10:08 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Hey, I say if you can jump ship every nine months and and hike the salary 10k each and every time, go for it.  In a few years you'll be making, what, half a million?  By then you can buy Archinect an shut down the pesky comments section.

Oct 3, 17 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

I thought this generation (millennials) job hops more than any other previous generation? I've had three architecture job over 4.5 years; just switched about 3 months ago. Looking to stay put. Nice pay bumps did happen every hop. Job hopping is definitely probably the best way to get more pay.

Oct 3, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

more pay, less depth, takes longer to get some experience-expertise, works well for software-centric individuals.

I've talked to some school counselors - my youngest is graduating HS next year - and they are saying this generation will not only have a lot more "jobs" than we did, but also different careers altogether, the notion of go-to-college-get-a-job-for-life is over, they will be having to deal with things we can't even imagine today.

Oct 3, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Agree, at some point you have to cut your teeth, that typically takes stability of at least 25-30 projects under your belt. in my mind it takes at least 3-4 months just to get up to speed in new environment, and probably 6-12months to be really productive

Oct 3, 17 11:55 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Great. Keep hopping till the economy slows down, and when they wont need as many revit-monkeys you will be on your ass.

Oct 3, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

golden handcuffs. our firm is employee owned and very generous with stock options... but you don't get them all until you hit 5 years. i also miraculously found a place that doesn't work me to death, pays overtime, and gives decent raises every year. i'm not 100% sure i could find that elsewhere (in the same city)

like another person said, i also like to see projects i work on get built, and this more often than not takes a couple of years.

Oct 3, 17 11:50 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Sounds like you found a good gig.

Oct 3, 17 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

After working at architecture jobs where I mostly dreaded going in (horrifically boring or 55+ hour weeks as SOP or no room for growth) for about 5 years, having a job now that I feel pretty good about most of the time...is really valuable. There are clear professional development opportunities here both self-initiated and given to me by management and until I run out of "runway" it really doesn't make sense to throw away a good thing for a total unknown. 

That said I'm aware I'm somewhat underpaid, but right now I value the credibility I have, the pleasant environment and the opportunities for growth more than dollars. 

Oct 3, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

that's pretty much what I was looking for. I recently read a story that "job-hopping" has been way down for a long time now and that it's keeping wages from increasing. Since i'm probably at the extreme end of the spectrum I wanted to see what stops people from leaving. In my case I'm pretty happy with my current place, and am unsure if another 1k a month is worth it or if I should just stick around for awhile. For the record, they sought me out, this isn't a result of me looking.

Oct 3, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

ha, I knew this would get a discussion going, but it really is a legitimate question on my part.  For background:

2004 - $14 hour coop, hired to build a model

2005 - $10 hour, down to $9 due to 10% across the board pay cut,  made more bartending on fri and sat nights

2006  - 46k, stayed for 6 years, was at 56k when laid off during m.arch.

2013 - 55k, finally got a new job after grad. Doing giant "lifestyle" centers.  Left to finish idp, was pissed about a $500 raise, they offered to match other offer + a bonus when I gave notice but I left anyway.  I was a little surprised when I found out, after leaving, that my share of the new ESOP would be 20k.  

2015 - 65k, small developer jobs.  did a ton of small restaurants and strip mall type projects. 

2017 - 75k, current job, almost done with a 7 million dollar municipal project.  Considering leaving to the owner side, working for a former co-worker from my second job, new place would be 85k

Oct 3, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

have you moved cities? left friends or family? put your kids in a new school? commute less or more? rent-buy a new place with every new job? you make it look like a change of shirts.

Oct 3, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

all in the metro Detroit area, no change in address req'd.

Oct 3, 17 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

that makes it easier for sure.

Oct 3, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I interviewed about 18 months ago for a job in troy, was hoping they had opening in their st. paul, mn office, now im thinking maybe I should have went to troy, then back to minneapolis, 20k easy

Oct 3, 17 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

My response is in a lot of ways similar to ivorykeyboard, but no stock options. We have profit sharing which has ended up (along with paid OT) to have above market total compensation for my experience level. Plus being treated with respect goes a long way, and so does that feeling of seeing your work built. I've tested waters lately, but will probably end up staying where I'm at.

Oct 3, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Seems like the OP started this mostly to toot his own horn. Careful what you ask for. There's always someone with a bigger horn.

Oct 3, 17 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

good point, I suppose my second post could be horn tooting, I mostly posted it because there seemed to be doubt about my thesis

Oct 3, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't get us started on defining the term "Thesis". We get enough traction out of that topic as it is .

Oct 3, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I would just say that there are different routes to career happiness. You've found one that works for you, and for that you should be grateful.

Oct 3, 17 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

thanks won, I've been fortunate for sure

btw - are you in the Detroit area?

Oct 3, 17 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Yes!

Oct 3, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think people stay for comfort. It is taxing to look for a new job - you have to look sharp/be sharp and prove yourself unlike showing up for work everyday where you can be half asleep and do fine. Having to learn a new CAD and file systems and project delivery and office standards especially after you get older and ingrained a bit is hard, I at least find I want to revert to older firm standards -- the first firm I worked at was over 100 years old and had pretty tight systems and going to a less sophisticated firm can feel constricting. Are these jobs similar enough that you aren't having trouble assimilating? My average is 3.5 years at a job... long enough to learn, not long enough to pick up too many bad habits, ha. In hindsight, I would have hopped more when younger to increase chances of finding a better fit for me and experience the rapid increase in salary. 

Oct 3, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I've been at my job for almost five years now and have worked on almost every team in my office. Every time I move teams or even just go help out on a different team, I have to prove my worth all over again even though I have more experience than 1/3 of the people in my firm. I don't move jobs partially because I don't want to go through the year or more of proving myself by picking up redlines for 40+ hours per week when I can stay here and be given more responsibilities, time on site, and opportunity to interface with clients. 

I have often contemplated looking for new opportunities, and sometimes have been pushed to my breaking point and began looking. But most issues in my office can be solved by a conversation or two. I stay because the rough patches I have had have easily been resolved as a result of good upper management, I am still learning here, the projects are mostly good with caring clients, my input is valued, and I genuinely enjoy interacting with my coworkers both professionally and socially. The pay situation really really blows but I'd rather enjoy my day to day than make a ton and hate going to work everyday. 

Oct 3, 17 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

The pay situation really really blows but I'd rather enjoy my day to day than make a ton and hate going to work everyday. -- This is a really good attitude, and I agree 100%. I look back on my career path, and my most satisfying years were the ones I arrived and left excited about the work I was doing. Damn the money.

Oct 4, 17 8:27 am  · 
 · 
spiketwig

Agree with fictional christopher... we def shuffle the people no one wants to work with... one of them finally left, and I'm pretty sure I could hear the collective sigh of relief (don't ask my why no one suggested she should move on sooner..)

The rest of your comment I agree with. Proving yourself sucks. 

Oct 4, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Mostly I moved around by choice - we have a satellite office located in a much more desirable city that is typically staffed with 5 people and was down to two, so I went down there to help out. Once I came back to the main office, the staffing had shifted, and I got to choose where I contributed.

Oct 4, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

thanks won and done! That's what I've been trying to tell myself too. I look at my friends who make more than me but are also drawing ADA bathrooms for big box stores 10+ hours a day, and I decide I'd rather have a life of interesting projects and experience than that. Nothing against it; it works for them, but it's just not the right thing for my personality.

Oct 4, 17 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I used to get moved around internally at my last work as different teams wanted to work with me, and yes it was a way to prove oneself. I enjoyed the challenge as was rewarded with 15% bonuses for 2 years. That said, it sucks after a while as you have no ownership of the work (which arguably no one has in a larger firm)

Oct 4, 17 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chuck71

Before I took my current job, I passed up a job in a firm that was closer to where I used to live, for more money that I was on, and for a permanent position, when I had been contract for 4+ years.

The reasons for passing it up were simple: they were going to pay barely more than I was earning already, for a working week that could be standard but could be anything (they expected me to sign a waiver to the 48 hour week), with no mention made in the contract of any overtime. Any raise would have had to wait until I'd been there more than a year, and I really would have been exchanging one CAD monkey position for another.

I couldn't do any work for myself (it would have been 'in competition' apparently), and the firm gave me vibes that weren't pleasant. Too much of a factory when I'd been running projects, and there was no mention of what I would be doing, beyond being CAD guy again.

So, I kept looking, and ended up with my current job, for which I've moved countries along with my family.

Not perfect by any means, and has its frustrations. The Health Insurance is pretty worthless too, which has been a problem given I'm currently paying for healthcare for my wife out of my pocket (thats the last years savings gone)

But, I'll probably go from this to something better paid when the job does finish in 3 years or so time, and the experience has been immense.

Being paid now twice what I used to be, and with housing also paid for, I also managed to pay down tax bills, overdraft and student loans in short order, so am solvent for the first time in years. I can also afford things like holidays, and to do further study.

[A MSc in Quantity Surveying, at UCEM via onlie study, an accredited Level 7 course. It's actually really interesting given I'd like to be getting in Project Management, and expands on a lot of areas that Architects aren't trained very well in. Some elements are even directly applicable to Architecture, and certainly I'm using them in my current job, where construction management and design management knowledge is coming into play. On my 5th of 8 subjects and I haven't even got to the QS bit yet.]

The point is, it isn't always worth changing jobs, the right one has to be there, and for the right reasons.

That varies for a lot of people, and is far from being the same for everyone and their own personal circumstances.

Oct 4, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: