Archinect
anchor

Can someone please help me understand this roof plan?

vel_pp

I'm just trying to understand this roof plan. I couldn't understand from where to where the measurements are made. Could someone possibly help? Thanks.

Sep 28, 17 10:57 am
senjohnblutarsky

MMM looks like a suburban hell house to me.  Has the bump.  Has the mish mash of hip and gable.  Show us the rest!!!!

Sep 28, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I love how both cm and m are used for dims.

Sep 28, 17 11:51 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

those gutters are huge man. 

Sep 28, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Is this a new post thread like the floor plan thread, but instead of guessing the building, we name the flaws?

Sep 28, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The measurements are taken between the lines in the direction of the arrows. You're welcome!

Sep 28, 17 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

This is why I hate it when drafters manually override dimensions ... total of blue dims should not equal total of red dims.

Sep 28, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Congrats on doing Samuel's homework.

Sep 28, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Instant fired.

Sep 28, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

If that was Samuel's homework, and he couldn't figure it out ... he'll never finish architecture school anyway. Plus, I have a hunch as to where this image is from, and it wouldn't be homework. If I can verify it tonight when I get home I'll post an update.

Sep 28, 17 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'm intrigued.

Sep 28, 17 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

I'm probably wrong, the metric measurements are making me second guess my second guessing of the first guess.

Sep 28, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

nice mark up balkins jr.

Sep 28, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

chigurh, huh?? 

There aren't any bricks to count so I'm not sure why Balkins is getting brought into this.

Sep 28, 17 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The assignment prob. was "identify what's wrong here" or something...

Sep 29, 17 8:03 am  · 
 · 

My hunch was wrong. I still feel like I've seen this before, I just can't place where. Seeing the OP's comment below assures me I didn't do their homework though, or if I did he wouldn't understand it. It's pretty apparent he's got much simpler things to figure out than what I've illustrated above.

Sep 29, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I've been told that if I instant fired everyone I wanted to for bad drafting, we wouldn't have any drafters left.  I responded with a general comment about my boss wanting less change orders, and if we didn't do any work, we probably wouldn't get change orders.  Got a mild laugh from the higher up in question.

Sep 29, 17 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

overwriting dimensions is not bad drafting, it's incompetence.

Sep 29, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 
vel_pp

can someone please teach me how to read this plan? Can someone mention what these measurements correspond to? Any basic idea would be great. Ex: The rafter measurements, etc.

Sep 29, 17 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Your plan is flawed. Dimensions are to either the edge of the blue zone or the white outline. This is very inconsistent and makes it impossible to read without making huge assumptions. Figure out what either of these regions are first, then work from there.

Sep 29, 17 10:41 am  · 
 · 
vel_pp

Yes man, couldn't figure out what those regions are. That's why came to this forum. This stupid plan drains my energy.

Sep 29, 17 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Let us know when you understand the following: http://www.patchhomeinspections.com/Roofing_Plans.pdf

Sep 29, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
vel_pp

i really can't understand anything man. could you please help explain me in simple words what this plan is about and what these measurements are?

Sep 29, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sammy, ask your prof or classmates for clarification. The drawing is shit without further context.

Sep 29, 17 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

yes i know man. could at least explain what the lines are representing. for example: the triangle at bottom represents rafters and the ridge. i can't understand anything other than that.

Sep 29, 17 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Wow everyday architect, that was actually really useful. Saved on desktop for future dissemination. Thanks,

Sep 29, 17 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Glad you found it helpful even if the OP didn't. I googled "how to read roof plan" and it was one of the first few results.

Oct 2, 17 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

Could you please explain me the dimensions? I want to know what those 15.5 meters are? Also those 210 cm in left, 126 cm. please help

Sep 29, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

i'm asking what about the measurements? ti figured out that the 5.8 meters is the rafter span. likewise what all the other given measurements denote?

Sep 29, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I like the idea that vel_pp is actually a pretty experienced roofer who otherwise has never worked off a set of plans, and an architect sent him this and said "build me a roof"

Sep 29, 17 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

what are those 126 cm to both the sides of the rafters?

Sep 29, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

really thanks a lot man. what are those 4.4 meter and 5.3 meter on the sides of the rafter span?

Sep 29, 17 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

those are lengths of roof.... if the blue actually is the roof's footprint, which clearly we do not know.

Sep 29, 17 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

if the blue is roof's foot print then the 15.5 meter in the top and the 3.2 meters in the vertical side represent what?

Sep 29, 17 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

what do you call those 2.1 meters?

Sep 29, 17 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

also those 210 centimeters?

Sep 29, 17 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

very thankful for David Curtis. can someone please explain what are those 2.1 meter, 15.5 meter and 3.2 meter are?

Sep 29, 17 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

also Non Sequitur thanks a lot. 

Sep 29, 17 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

What do you call those 15.5 meter in the top, 210 centimeter in the side, 3.2 meters and especially those 2.1 meters. i just need to know the terms. someone kindly help. 

Sep 29, 17 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I blame the professor on this one, for providing such a bad example of a roof plan. Looks like Balkins did it.

Sep 29, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

man, could you please tell the terms for the 15.5 meter in the top, 210 centimeter in the side, 3.2 meters and especially those 2.1 meters. i just need to know the terms.

Sep 29, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but balkins would have dimensioned it to 1/64" accuracy using drones.

· 
vel_pp

pls man i'm running out of m\time

· 
Non Sequitur

Sammy... not really our fault. You have a shitty assignment or you've misunderstood the problem. Figure out which one it is then do your homework.

Sep 29, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

i do get that... but i'm stuck with this for the past two days and it is already 1 am in my country. i need to submit this by morning. at least please guess something.

Sep 29, 17 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

what i'm asking is 15.5 meter is the length of _____________

210 centimeter is the length of _____________________

3.2 meters is the length of _______

and 2.1 meters is the length of ____________

Sep 29, 17 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

please tell at least the closest terms. something would be better than nothing

Sep 29, 17 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

what could be those 3.2 meters from your assumption?

Sep 29, 17 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
vel_pp

someone please tell what those 3.2 meters are. please!!!!! they're on both sides

Sep 29, 17 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

The 3.2 m are cocklofts.

Sep 29, 17 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Reading this thread was the must fun I have had all week.

Sep 29, 17 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

ya i was working to a deadline

Sep 29, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

You've all been looking at it inverted. That's a swimming pool man. white outline is the coping. Seems clear - blue = water. No idea which part is the deep end though without some sections.

Sep 29, 17 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

that's a highly articulated cockloft. no wonder he's having so much trouble.

Sep 29, 17 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

all the best cocklofts are highly articulated

Oct 2, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Brian J

You are all wasting your time

This is a scam question

Dec 28, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

What's the issue? Simply convert the metric units to imperial?

Dec 28, 17 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

this thread is where architects come to die. 

Dec 29, 17 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: