Archinect
anchor

What’s next? I’m not passionate about designing or rendering

gilo

Hello, 

I’m a recently graduate architect, I have 2 years experiences working in an engineer company ( as architect) and another 3 years (the last ones) in a completely different field (public administration). So I finally got my architect degree but I’m not this passionate, workaholic, sacrificing and architectural breeding person as I used to be 8 years ago, when I was in my early years of college. 

For worst, I don’t know what I want, in one hand I like the research, the ideas of architecture is a lot more than just build a building or a house, but I can’t figure out what to do. We all know we need to put money on the table to pay bills and blablabla, but how to do it if you don’t want to become an employee and you don’t know where to start? 

I haven’t started looking for a new job yet, everybody keeps saying how awful the market it is, I have to start making a new architectural portafolio but I don’t even feel energy or inspiration to create it, and unfortunately this is the typical presentation card for architect. 

I would like some ideas, I don’t like stay hours and days in front my computer drawing plans either rendering models... opinions please, thanks a head. 

Sep 21, 17 11:07 pm
Non Sequitur

Gilo, try working in a smaller architecture office... not a uber large A&E joint.

Sep 21, 17 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

Option - a. be born to rich parents.

Option - b. if you're not born to rich parents, inherit a lot of money

Option - c. if not a. or b, suck it up!

Sep 21, 17 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
joeuk

I say this to my kids. They are neither A or B, neither was I, C is always the best option. It is just harder.

Sep 22, 17 5:35 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you keep saying it like marriage wasn't a job

Sep 28, 17 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Nats

In the olden days people had to do normal boring jobs to 'make a living', and this hasnt changed its just that the media protray life as this wonderful fairy tale where you can swan around on your phone all day making loads of money whilst sitting in modern cafes or walking around sunny city streets. Sorry life is not like that, most people have rubbish jobs and work hard for practically nowt.

Sep 22, 17 5:16 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

If you don't like it, plan to get out.  What's so complicated?

Sep 22, 17 8:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

So don't do renders or design work. You're welcome!

Sep 22, 17 8:50 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

You could pursue museum work if you're interested in theory, but know that you're going to be making a lot less than if you were working in a firm.  Not to mention fighting a bunch of liberal arts grads for the only jobs some of them are qualified for.

Sep 22, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
shazaaammm

Everyone always says how bad the market is, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look for a job. The market isn't that bad, at least speaking from an NYC point of view, I'm a recent grad and most people who graduated Master with me in May have landed some jobs. 

Sure, its not all dream jobs, but its certainly possible to be happy. But happiness doesn't just come from having a job obviously, you need to figure out what you want to do. 

Don't like sitting in front of a computer? Work your way up at a firm to where you mainly deal in Construction Administration. Get out there and try mentioning this in interviews with firms. But to get to that point you have to have enough experience that someone will hire you in a more managerial or administrative role. Maybe you can take a Marketing position somewhere? 

You gotta at least try...just being uninspired isn't gonna cut it mate, you might have to work at some unfulfilling job for a bit to get to your end goal but not all architects just Design and render, but they have to go through that shit for a little bit. Be patient, work hard, and try and identify your passions. 

Sep 28, 17 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what's next? an appointment with a therapist

Sep 28, 17 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Maybe you never figure out what you like or find happiness that's just life for some, unfortunately.

Sep 28, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I like the research, the ideas of architecture is a lot more than just build a building or a house, but I can’t figure out what to do

Building buildings, including houses, is kind of what architects do.  Or at least, doing design and drawings for other to build from.  Nobody is going to pay you to sit around and research ideas.  When you graduate college, the navel gazing days are over for most of us.  Marry money, inherit money, or steal money.  If all else fails, find a different career.  It is not a personal failing to do something for a few years and conclude it's not for you, contrary to what some on this forum will tell you.  Architecture doesn't lead to nirvana or God, it's just an occupation.

Sep 28, 17 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

You should become an friendly architectural critic. Everybody loves a pat on the back sometimes...

Sep 28, 17 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

But seriously, if you love architectural research, become a spec writer. You will spend the rest of your career researching and learning about the most finite detail about the technical and real life execution of buildings on all levels.

Sep 28, 17 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

The job market is bad!? I graduated '10, this is gravy town!!!

Sep 28, 17 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

second the spec writer idea... they can clear 100k pretty easy, don't have to design, and get a lot of chances to research.  Though a lot of their work is just nitpicking and copy-pasting from prevous specs.  Not much research typically when writing a spec for gypsum board.

Also second the "graduated in '10, it's now gravy town" idea.. though recently the firm did stop hiring like gangbusters.  Maybe there's a slow down soon?

Sep 29, 17 9:14 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

The industry has a significant downturn along with the overall economy every ten years or so on average, so things will probably start slowing down before long. Hopefully not as severe as the last one, but this zero interest rate policy has probably distorted the economy as much as the credit bubble did.

Sep 29, 17 9:27 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Spec writing? That's not architectural research or about the ideas of architecture, that's just looking up products in a catalogue...and writing them down.

What about working for some architecture biennale or organising architectural exhibitions, manifestations, curating them, making catalogues etc.

Sep 29, 17 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: