Archinect
anchor

Request for advice on how to (eventually) move the US

wazzasoft

I'm a UK citizen currently applying for Bachelor's degrees for architecture in the UK, but my ambition is to eventually move to the US (specifically California). So my question is what is the best course of action to take to achieve my ambition? Should I become an accredited architect in the UK before I attempt to move to the US or would it be a good idea to do a Master's degree in the US while also seeking a company that would employ me and sponsor me for a work visa?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my question.

Sep 17, 17 10:20 pm
thompson's gazelle

Without going to school in the US, it will be next to impossible to land a permanent job in the US. 

Best course of action would be your latter option to get a Masters in the US and apply for a visa through your job. Still, the visa application process is a roughly 50% chance lottery. You also have other options such as the O visa or marrying a green card holder or a citizen.

Sep 17, 17 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

The grass is always greener ...

Sep 17, 17 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Seek employment at a firm in the U.K. that has offices in the States, or preferably headquartered in the US. This is not foolproof, but is a good plan if you do not want to study in the US.
Sep 18, 17 1:24 am  · 
 · 
wazzasoft

I don't mind at all getting a masters in the US, in fact its something that quite appeals to me. My worry is that if want land a job in the US and have to return to the UK then I won't be RIBA accredited architect?

Sep 18, 17 3:15 am  · 
 · 
TED

UK is changing RIBA / ARB licensing but don't hold your breath. Ultimately you may have to pay a fee to have your education qualified but that shouldn't be your barrier.

Sep 18, 17 9:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Most people make the move by plane nowadays but by sailing boat it must be a truly epic experience. Or go by train from the UK through the tunnel across continental Europe into Russia all the way to Siberia and when you reach the end of the tracks either try to locate an airport nearby and charter a small plane to take you across, probably to Anchorage, or head to the nearest port and see if you can hop on a freighter that goes to Alaska or already a bit more south, maybe already Seattle if you're lucky, after which you can travel along the coast towards California. I would advice against doing this during winter though.

Sep 18, 17 3:31 am  · 
 · 
SiSilot

Try to get a Master degree in US which is accredited as STEM, it can allow you to extend your work visa into 3 years and that will give you a good chance to find a proper sponsor

Sep 18, 17 5:44 am  · 
 · 
TED

Choose a UK Uni that allows a year or semester abroad in the US.  Some Unis don't have formal programmes but do have exchange so you are allowed to do it with many Schools - Usually 2nd Year.  Try Queens Belfast - great school and strong links to US.  

Sep 18, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Nats

Marry a rich american woman is my advice.

Sep 18, 17 9:59 am  · 
 · 
TED

She?

Sep 18, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: