Archinect
anchor

Facade engineer / fabricator job

luminol

Hi all, 

I am a job seeker currently unemployed. But fortunately here U.S market is very active now so I am going through several interviews request from veriety of firms. I would introduce myself as a fresh graduate(from prestigious school) with less than a year experience.

Among them, I got an offer from Facade engineer/fabricator company with some decent salary(start from $5k/yr). They feed on government job for public facility to be renewed every year and maybe aiming for winning some iconic high-profile project for company brochure but not yet happened. They are start-up with 10 people. 

I know construction is all about money. Money matters to me absolutely. Also I am detail-oriented person so there seems like many plus experiences for me. But I am wondering if I start work on such a job, my career path will not open to 'design' in general meaning.

I didn't have background in engineer and don't want to work at dead/end location. Will it be okay to just go for it? 

Sep 15, 17 5:03 pm
Non Sequitur

5000 per year?

Sep 15, 17 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
luminol

Omg it's my mistake. > 50k

Sep 15, 17 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

detail oriented, ha

Sep 15, 17 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

my fingers are not that detail oriented maybe. Anyone know how can I modify the thread after it was posted?

Sep 16, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
luminol

Well, probably some very talented junior designer hired by large corporate may earn more than 50k but it was not my case. The maxi salary from deaign office was 46k tho.

Sep 15, 17 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

Thats not bad pay for a junior designer, and facade engineering is a interesting specialty- hopefully the work is a variation of finishes and assemblies, not just infinite variations of the same kawneer curtainwall, or curtainwar as Koolhaas has lamented...

Sep 15, 17 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
empea
Go for it. You won't find better offers financially speaking in the architecture world and more importantly a job like that will teach you technical specifics which if you went to work as a grad in an architecture firm you are several years of competition renderings and door schedules away from acquiring.
Sep 15, 17 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: