Archinect
anchor

Houston - hurricane harvey

gruen

I haven't been active on the archinect forum lately. 

I'm wondering about the architecture communities response to this disaster. I see that Texas isn't easing up on their rules for TX licensed architects. However, I wondered how my firm can help local TX firms respond to the disaster. I'm sure everyone down there will be slammed with work. Please contact me directly at punkmotorcycles (at) gmail dot com if you need extra bandwidth, or if you know of any responses to the disaster that the architecture community is planning. For what it's worth, I lived in Houston for 6 years, so am very familiar with the community. 

Sep 8, 17 10:44 am
andrewwest

While so many American businesses were generous during Harvey, one business, Gensler, the worlds largest architectural firm ($1.4 billion), asked the public for $75,000 to benefit ONLY their employees though a GoFundMe campaign. Corporate Pandhandling during a disaster? Inappropriate and shameful. These were not charitable contributions, they were, according to the IRS "gifts." Gensler needs gifts from the public to support their employees? Why? 

Business believes in People-helping-Texans. Gensler believes in People-helping-Gensler. 

https://issuu.com/solutioneur/...

Sep 10, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

While I agree with you to some degree, I do want to ask; are these employees living in Houston, and affected by Harvey?

Sep 10, 17 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
andrewwest

It did affect a few Gensler employees, but in Texas thousand of people were affected. Gensler was basically panhandling for their employees ONLY. Very odd. For instance, Shiner Beer contributed $500,000 to benefit ALL those affected and Gensler chose to solicit $75,000 for just THEIR employees.

Sep 11, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
andrewwest

It did affect a few Gensler employees, but in Texas thousand of people were affected. Gensler was basically panhandling for their employees ONLY. Very odd. For instance, Shiner Beer contributed $500,000 to benefit ALL those affected and Gensler chose to solicit $75,000 for just THEIR employees.

Sep 11, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
andrewwest

Full explanation here:

Sep 11, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Atlanta, Houston, and Miami were experiencing construction worker shortages before the recent storms. According to a WSJ article carpenters in Houston were getting $25 an hour even before the hurricane.

Sep 11, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

This is why I live where the air hurts my face.

Sep 11, 17 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: