Archinect
anchor

Graphic struggle

luminol

I was laid off from my first job because I am not suited for fast-image production. At the end of the term, the principal said my portfolio is addressing eye-candy competition style but it seems more likely I am apt to project development or construction phase. Oh really? 

I thought I was a type of visual artist when I was in school. But at work, I was having a hard time because co-workers principal and me all had different graphic style. So I think what made me procrastinated is matter of coordination not because I am not good at grahic. However, dealing with people's different visual preferance drives me so nervous and it seems there is no 'logical' answer, not like the world of Autocad. 

Sep 5, 17 4:00 pm
Non Sequitur

Renderings and photoshop people are a dime a dozen... and super replaceable either by Indian farms or fresh grads. It's also an easy craft to learn well and unless you can do it quickly under pressure, you won't last long since all you're paid to do is model the project architect's ideas... not your own.

Sep 5, 17 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"laid off from my first job because I am not suited for fast-image"....

so two things:

A) will they be calling you back? because you said laid off, sounds more like let go.

B) yhea, welcome to real world were time is actually money, problem w/ fresh grads:

-in school you have all day to fool around, surf the internet, snap chat your buddies etc... because there is no "real" budget, in practice time is money, they are probably billing you out at $60-$75 an hour

-practice speed & academic speed is two diff things which seems like you are learning

- learn the tricks of the trade, and never stop learning

best of luck to you,

Sep 5, 17 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
luminol

@ Curtis what do you mean 'a favor'? They were nice people so I don't want blame them. I am trying to minimize this problem for the next step. 

Graphic struggle used to happens even far ago when I was at school. My project partner used to replace all human/plant figures on rendering with her favorite ones.... totally waste of time, how can we manage this matter more constructively? 

Sep 5, 17 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

"oh really?"  you could always use the criticism as an opportunity to evolve.  Really.  

Sep 5, 17 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

do you like the project development, documentation and CA work?

If so, just do it and don't ever look back. Talented and competent Jr staff who want to work on those phases are really rare. Get good at them and you will be in-demand as a technical architect.

Sep 5, 17 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Second others here. You'll be far more successful and in demand as a PA with technical abilities. Renders are always subjective to your audience and indefinite amounts of time are easily spent tweaking things the client will never notice or care about. You'll be far more marketable with a hybrid skill set than as a render monkey. If you have any ambitions of doing actual architecture and not making pretty renders for a living you'll soon see these guys not only did you a favor but paid you a compliment in suggesting you pursue project management.
Sep 5, 17 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
luminol

@archanonymous Yeah, post SD phase is more appealing to me because it is more precise and the point real things happen. But also have a desire to make a compelling image to lure clients.

Sep 5, 17 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
luminol

I meant... real things out of school.

Sep 7, 17 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah yes, project development and construction is full of procrastinators, you'll do just fine :)

Sep 6, 17 4:02 am  · 
 · 

Disappointed. I thought 'graphic struggle' was going to have pics of hot chicks mud wrestling. 

Sep 6, 17 9:04 am  · 
 · 
luminol

I will be a agile render monkey for the next job!!

Sep 7, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why aim so low? Rendering staff are the most replaceable type of people.

Sep 7, 17 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
luminol

just because contractors and clients are not getting the drawing... I have to explain it..

Sep 7, 17 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

D rawings and renderings should explain themselves.

Sep 8, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Yeah, all those CA and spec guys are mostly just stupid and waste time. Nothing real gets done after SD. LOL

Sep 8, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: