Archinect
anchor

Who uses the philosophy of Christopher Alexander in practice?

Michel Mooij MArch.

After reading 'the Nature of Order', I became again excited about the 'Pattern Language'. I wonder if there are architects who use it in practice. With sufficient interest, I want to set up a group to share experiences.

Aug 31, 17 12:42 pm
Wood Guy

I haven't read that one, and don't often think literally about A Pattern Language, but I've definitely internalized a lot of its lessons and notice them in the real world occasionally. I also still have clients who want Sarah Susanka's "Not So Big House" ideas incorporated into their design; her books draw heavily from Alexander's ideas. I've also been studying and practicing Permaculture; the book I have has a big section arranged by patterns from big to small.

Aug 31, 17 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
domore_45

I'm finally reading the Nature of Order series after 5+ years working in offices as well as doing some side gig working on remodels. It is a refreshing / optimistic perspective on the potential of architecture.

I try daily at my office job to incorporate the philosophies of the unfolding process and feedback. I still have many years ahead of testing and experimenting with design processes in my own work. Definitely seems like one needs to be focused at a very high level to maintain the attention required in his design process. A challenge with contemporary systems of construction!

Aug 14, 19 12:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: