Archinect
anchor

Legal Architecture Firms in New York State - Intern hours

michaeltodsmith

Hello - I've seen a few old comments on this within other related threads but am seeking more specific advice if any is available. I did my IDP hours at a firm that I found out after the fact was improperly incorporated as an LLC instead of a PLLC so could not register for my exam in NYS. I was, however, able to register to take it in NJ which has different requirements and passed my exams and am now licensed. During that time, the firm, which I continued working at, reincorporated as a PLLC after I made them aware of NYS requirements (they had received poor legal advice when setting the firm up). A year later I have gone back to NYS for reciprocity and they brought up the same issue which I explained had been taken care of. However, they are still saying the firm is offering its service improperly because it is using a name other than the principals name on its website, emails, etc. Without using real names, the firm of 2 principals - only one of which is licensed -   represents itself as "ABCD Architecture" rather than John Doe Architect, PLLC on its website/emails/marketing material. However,  John Doe Architect is on every signed/sealed/legal document. This NYS response to my application was also news to me but NYS is standing firm that the firm should not use the other name and won't approve my hours as if I have any control over this. I'm just curious if anyone has had any success with getting them to approve their hours in this situation. I can try withdrawing the application and resubmitting under the PLLC name but I would have to create a record of additional hours and from my correspondence with the NYS board representative that would not be good enough for them. They seem to want to use me as a vehicle to get the firm to do something - which is not going to happen. I'm not really interested in the debate over what the firm itself needs to do since I don't have the power to change it and have read about that on another thread - but more so if anyone has successfully navigated through this to get their hours approved without starting over documenting them at another firm. Thanks!

Aug 10, 17 5:51 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: