Archinect
anchor

Is this Laptop good for Architecture Course?

Dayve

I will be downloading ALL Autodesk Suite, PS, Ai, Rhino, Sketchup Pro, Revit, 3D Max, AutoCAD and ArchiCAD etc...

Will this laptop be good enough for it? I will be using it for like 5-years...

I will be getting the DELL Inspiron 15 7000 (7567). 16GB DDR4 Memory, Windows 10 Pro, 4GB GDDR5 NVIDIA, i7-7700HQ Processor, Dual Drives with 256GB SSD and 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive.

http://www.dell.com/sg/p/inspi...

Aug 7, 17 2:41 am
randomised

The best part is, you can use it to support your sketchbook when closed. 

Aug 7, 17 3:05 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

:( ok... LOL

Aug 7, 17 7:06 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

That's going to handle it all pretty well I would have thought. 

Aug 7, 17 4:11 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

So it's gonna be good? :(

· 
s=r*(theta)

it will be well

Aug 7, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 
ilovearchitecture

Buy a Mac

Aug 7, 17 4:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

...and install windows

Aug 7, 17 5:54 am  · 
 · 
ilovearchitecture

Mac is sexy

Aug 7, 17 5:57 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

I have a mac! My mac is only used for basic AutoCAD and PS/AI. When it comes to serious Architecture work I use Windows...

· 
randomised

So ila, once again style / representation over substance ;-)

Aug 7, 17 8:12 am  · 
 · 
ilovearchitecture

what's wrong with being sexy!'

Aug 8, 17 4:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Nothing's wrong with being sexy I can tell you from experience, but if that's all there is, that's quite shallow.

Aug 14, 17 2:42 am  · 
 · 
Dayve

So guys, can I safely conclude that this Laptop will be good to support ALL (listed above and maybe MORE) softwares I listed and last me a good few years...? :(

Aug 7, 17 7:07 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Get a mac book pro

Aug 7, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
archinine
It's a dell. It will never last 5 years. You'll be lucky if it makes it a month past the factory warranty. Hence ILA's suggestion to get a mac. They last forever. And per your comment, if you get the good mac it will run all of your 'serious' programs with ease. Don't quite understand why you keep stating 'all softwares'. Yes they ALL run on windows which ALL modern intel computers can run if you set the proper bios. Hopefully you spend a little timing trying to learn some architecture while you're getting your 'ALL the softwares' degree.
Aug 7, 17 7:56 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

We own multiple macbook pros and every last one of them has had catastrophic failures of either the motherboard or power supply. Most happened right after the warranty ended. Sure you can buy AppleCare every year, but you still don't get a loaner to use for the week or so you have to wait while they repair your machine. I don't know how that would work out for a student.

Aug 7, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

And yet you keep on buying them...'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'

Aug 7, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

No, we're down to one remaining Mac, which is being retired at the end of the year. We had Macs for 20+ years, but the build quality is way down from what it used to be. The loss of 17 inch laptops from the MacPro lineup and the goofy trashcan PowerMac that Apple never upgrades didn't help things either.

Aug 7, 17 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

True, about their quality. It's like they focus on selling people a new Mac as often as people upgrade their iPhones. I know people who had Macs running smoothly, quickly and happily for around 5 years easily, I really don't like how they switched focus to appearance over substance and don't get me started about Safari or iTunes...

Aug 7, 17 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Build a pc tower.
Aug 7, 17 7:58 am  · 
 · 
archinine
^^ what he said ^^

Then when something breaks you can just buy a replacement at Best Buy instead of being out a computer the night before reviews.
Aug 7, 17 10:25 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

i just got an MSI gaming laptop and its a beast.  Not cheap, but worth the $ so far.  Its by far the fastest laptop ive ever used.  You can get a good one for about 1500.  

Aug 7, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's actually quite common that your most recently purchased laptop is the fastest one you've ever used.

Aug 7, 17 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What a coincidence, just showed up in my feed: https://architizer.com/blog/la...

Aug 7, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

The Architizer article makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims about supposed Mac build quality. The writer uses the term "robust build" multiple times with nothing to back it up, other than that the case kind of looked stronger than the windows machines.

Aug 7, 17 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
BIMBlaster

You will want at least 32 Gigs in l memory RAM and VRAM at current dedicated hardware maximum. Or you can do what cheap backward architects do with 4 gigs VRAM, waste a lot of work flow with shuffled in render/design processing waiting which wastes 3 months in a year with this genius cheapskate concept.

Max it all out, you'll be glad you did, you are going to invest PRECIOUS TIME otherwise, might as well ransom it back with extra money NOW.

Aug 7, 17 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

In that case I'd advise the Sunway TaihuLight

Aug 8, 17 4:21 am  · 
 · 
Charlesdevis

Firstly, you need to have the latest generation motherboard

Processor: You need at least a dual-core processor to ensure possible multi-tasking during design exercises, homework, and during thesis days. (minimum: intel core i3 recommended: intel core m vPro

or higher)

Video Card: Graphics cards are very important for an architecture student as they will determine if you can run certain rendering apps smoothly and without delays. (e.g. vray, lumion, kerkythea, podium etc). when you decided to buy a laptop

RAM: this is the holy grail of an architecture student's laptop. This determines how effective an application would be; programs like AutoCAD, 3DsMax, and Adobe Photoshop need high random access memory from your PC. (minimum:6 to 8 GB ram recommended: 8 and higher)

For what brand to choose; I recommend ASUS, Lenovo, or Toshiba

If you have a substantial amount of budget; I recommend ThinkPad

(I have a Lenovo laptop during my years in architecture school and it survived, very reliable indeed)

Jan 25, 23 3:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

8gb RAM? what is this, 2008?

Jan 25, 23 9:51 am  · 
 · 

32gb of RAM or GTFO bro.

Jan 25, 23 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Charlesdevis

Of course, bro it's not 2008, I mean to say the minimum RAM required is 8GB but the recommended is higher than 8GB. :-)

Jan 27, 23 12:34 am  · 
 · 

You're incorrect, bro.  

8GB of RAM won't handle much other than the base OS. 

For things like Revit, Adobe, Rino, Lumen, ect, you're going to want at least 16GB of RAM.  You'll want 32GB of RAM if you want to not have to wait for the machine to lag or  lock up.  

Jan 27, 23 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Charles, you should also recommend a keyboard and mouse.

Jan 27, 23 11:13 am  · 
1  · 

Aslo wifi and a camera.

Jan 27, 23 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Minimum 2 usb input ports. Also, vga and Svideo are good to have but not essential.

Jan 27, 23 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
architecturepinecone

It should provide enough power to run the various architecture programs with ease.

Jan 27, 23 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

good point, I'd add that it should also be able to brew a cup of coffee on demand.

Jan 27, 23 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Charlesdevis

Ok, will suggest

Jan 30, 23 5:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: