Archinect
anchor

Help! Asked to take a test before job interview & traveling

shazaaammm

So, I am talking to a fairly large reputable firm that I very much want to work at about a BIM/computation kind of position. They sent me 2 software tests in advance of requesting an interview.

The problem is that I am traveling currently and don't have access to a good computer that I can use the required software on until tomorrow night. The tests were sent yesterday.

The only deadline they hinted at was "in the next days" exactly written like that.

My question...should I just get the test done when I can (tomorrow night) and send them then. OR should I email them today and inform them I wont be at my main computer till tomorrow and to expect my results then? 

My main concern is not the test itself as I can easily complete that, but I don't want them to think I am intentionally delaying or anything like that...its purely a  technical difficulty as a result of traveling on some family business. Thoughts? 

Aug 4, 17 1:46 pm
thisisnotmyname

Tell them the truth.  I don't think they will be making a hiring decision over the weekend.

Aug 4, 17 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Word. Thanks I think I will! Just hate over-emailing you know? So wanted to see what people thought.

Aug 4, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

is this a RhinoDynoGrasshopper test?

Aug 4, 17 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Well less RhinoGH more RevitDyno but yeah more or less. You had to do
similar? Was it pretty easy?

Aug 4, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

When in doubt tell the truth, unless you live in the White House.

Aug 4, 17 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If the tests were sent yesterday (Thursday) and the wording was "in the next days", then I don't think you need to tell them anything at all, unless you're not going to be able to get this done by Monday or Tuesday or so.  "In the next days" implies multiple days, so getting it done tonight or over the weekend is within a reasonable time frame and doesn't need any notification to them or excuses. They're surely not going to be expecting to look at it before the beginning of next week at the earliest - and they may not even get to it for days or weeks after that.

I wouldn't reply to them in any way except to confirm receipt of the tests. 

Aug 4, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
It's not like there are that many people qualified for such a niche role, no one is going to snatch it from under you on a Saturday. I agree with others you don't need to say anything at all. That's just more emails with no content floating around.
Aug 4, 17 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: