Archinect
anchor

Internship in US for foreigner

whijaepark

I'm a Korean student with a semester left until graduation and I want to apply for an internship in the US for about 6 months before I graduate. I was wondering if firms in US sponser working visas and are willing to hire students from abroad? Is such a thing common or do they prefer students in country?

Aug 2, 17 3:55 pm
archinine
This question has been answered many times - search through the forums. The short answer is no. You will have a difficult time finding sponsorship at all, especially as a fresh graduate from a non US school. Even more so if you plan to stay only 6 months. There are far too many fresh graduates, who are American or international US degree holders with one year temporary visas, for an employer to justify the cost and time to spend on an entry level candidate abroad. This is especially true in architecture where there are consistently more applicants than jobs available.

If you're still in school you might be able to finagle something through the university. I knew a French person who did this, however she was treated like dirt and paid next to nothing just as most visa restricted workers in the design field are.
Aug 2, 17 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

This, this and this.

You need to ask yourself what can you bring to the table that'll entice your potential employers to go through the trouble of doing the paperwork for you.

Common sense really.

Aug 3, 17 12:28 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Or...just go as a tourist and get your very little paycheque made out to ca$h.

Aug 3, 17 3:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: