Archinect
anchor

Start your own firm....while still working for another?

archi_dude

So we've had the debate multiple times about moonlighting. But what about laying the ground work and accepting some commissions to kick start your own firm while still working? Such as creating the business plan, setting up the website, networking and taking a couple of lame jobs to see if you can actually do it. This question is geared for California since apparently the state refuses to acknowledge non-compete agreements between employer and employee. Assuming you never logged into email on your work PC or did any sort of work on it either. (hooray for smart phones and tabs!) I'm assuming depending on the size of the firm and if you were successful at all they could definitely come after you with some legal mess, but in what way?

Jul 29, 17 10:57 am
archietechie

So...moonlighting?

Jul 29, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

As long as you keep all your independent activities completely outside of your employer's  working hours, equipment, and premises, there is nothing they can do to you legally.  

The potential legal problems arise when you don't do the above, and/or you try to poach clients and/or staff from your current employer.

Jul 29, 17 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

that is exactly what I did, but one thing to keep in mind is that your employer may not fire you for doing that, but may definitely start putting into question your loyalty in the back of his mind. 

Jul 29, 17 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Indeed. The employer may not appreciate you striking out on your own, but they will not have any grounds to sue you.

Jul 29, 17 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Who gives a shit... if they sue you... steal the bosses car... load it full of computers and other valuables from the office... drive to Mexico and sell all the stuff for cash... head south to Panama and start a youth hostel in bocas del toro.... boom! Set for life!

Wait a minute.... why even bother moonlighting?

Jul 29, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If they hold it against you they are probably being hypocrites, since the next question is how they started their firm.  Probably wasn't through immaculate conception.

Jul 29, 17 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

Poaching clients is the traditional method. 

Jul 29, 17 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How else do you do it? Don't steal clients though...

Jul 29, 17 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen more than a few fresh grads get multi-million dollar residential projects for their in-laws (which typically turn out to be the only projects they ever do). I've seen a male model leverage his social connections into an architectural career. And I know an architect who married into vast wealth and the connections that go with it.

Jul 29, 17 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Ha ha, David, you pretty much say the same thing to everyone in their posts on here. But it generally fits every time.

Jul 30, 17 10:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Simply ask what your employers did when they started their own firm and just do exactly the same. One of my old bosses was actually really proud of all the people that could stand on their own two legs after working for him and they still regularly visited his office, and some became regular collaborators.

Jul 30, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

That's a boss you can really respect. We need more like him.

Jul 30, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Unfortunately, the hoarding will continue as long as the profession is as overcrowded as it is (despite spot shortages during the crests of the building cycle).

Jul 31, 17 8:10 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The professions is overcrowded because too many employees or the profession is overcrowded due to less importance within the building design and construction field?

Jul 31, 17 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Nats

Not many bosses will appreciate staff who are not 100% committed to their job and 'the firm'. Unfortunately that rules out almost everybody (including themselves a lot of the time from what I have experienced lol - often its one rule for them another rule for everyone else).

They can't do anything to stop you though and usually turn a blind eye to it as long as it isn't too disruptive. But its something to do when you are young and without a family if you are going to do it, when you get married and get kids you have no time at all.

Aug 1, 17 11:22 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

jus go work at a firm with no current successor, tell them you are interested in running  your own shop one day soon. either they can ease you into taking over or buying them out or they will die and you will have the firm, client, and the widowed wife

Aug 1, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: