Archinect
anchor

Revit for facade manufacture

conrad8

Hi, does anyone have any insight or experience with how facade designs are commercially built? 

Revit is fantastic at BIM and modelling the general structure of a building, I'm just not sure if it has enough accuracy or is best setup for facades.. I know you can create custom mullion profiles but alumium mullions are far more complex than just the rectangle shapes typical used in Revit. Stuff like weep holes, glazing clasp clips and expansion joints etc is perhaps more for the role of solid modelling CAD.

Also, can Revit handle cut lists, mitre joints and 3D orientation for intricate facade systems. 

I'm really interested in the whole manufacture and assembly of these sorts of systems and would love to hear from anyone.

Jul 23, 17 2:22 pm
archinine
Curtain walls in revit have a lot of customizability and you can model unique profiles and families to become part of the facade. Masses allow you to create not flat curtain wall space. All that said for the more wacky and complicated stuff most people prefer grasshopper. Revit can be a bitch when setting up non flat curtain walls and you'll find yourself clicking on every pane, which is a pain...

As far as getting into clasps and such you're going to slow down the revit model very quickly that way, to the point it may be unusable. Revit has a lot of functionality for general mass produced parts and is customizable to an extent but is primarily geared toward documentation.

I've heard of people using dynamo in lieu of grasshopper but there's definitely much more support and functioning plugins available for gh. Also it's fairly straightforward to model in gh and export to revit for CDs.
Jul 23, 17 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You'll be wanting to know basic python and using dynamo to be honest, as archinine said, rhino is the better option.

Jul 24, 17 6:27 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

inventor or solidworks will be your best bet for bim to manufacturing. 

Jul 24, 17 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: