Archinect
anchor

Need advice on the path to a degree in Architecture.

sfdgjherk

I have an associates degree in Architectural Design, received it 4 years ago. I have since had 2 children. I love creating things and feel happiest problem solving and overcoming difficult situations. I am planning to attend Architecture school part time this fall while continuing to raise my 2 kids. This schooling would result in a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering Tech. My plan is to continue schooling part time until my kids are in school full time and I can attend more full time as well. My hope in the future is to have a full time job designing or planning something (Could be architecture, could be more engineering), working with a team and solving problems. I would like some feedback as to whether or not this all seems doable. Thank you!

Jul 14, 17 12:03 pm
Flatfish

It seems doable, but it may not be the most useful route, depending on what you want in the long-term. 

A 4-year bachelor degree in architectural engineering tech really isn't any more attractive or marketable to most potential architecture firm employers than your associates degree would be.  If your long-term goal is to work in an architecture firm as a drafter/technician then you might be better off just skipping the BS and looking for part-time work right away, rather than spending years and tuition on more para-professional education. (You could always do some short-term continuing ed in particular subjects, software, etc. if your skills are very rusty now or if needed in the future.)

If your long-term goal is to become licensed as an architect then the route that will give you the most flexibility in the long run is to get an NAAB-accredited degree - either a B.Arch or M.Arch.  There aren't too many part-time options for pursuing one of those, but if you were to go the M.Arch route then it doesn't particularly matter what your bachelor degree is in, so then it might make more sense to go back part-time now to do the BS or some other major, if the goal is to do an M.Arch full time later.

Depending on what state you're in you may not need an NAAB-accredited degree, or any degree at all, to become a licensed architect.  About half of all states have alternative routes - in some states requiring only a high school diploma, plus several years of experience.  This is a viable option for some people in some states, though it can limit in which other states you could become licensed.

An NAAB degree is considered a prerequisite by some architecture firm employers, particularly for anyone seeking design or management role, as opposed to a technical/production role.

Jul 14, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
sfdgjherk

Thank you so much for the responses. I'm not really interested in being a licensed architect or owning my own practice. If the bachelors degree wont really help me any more than what I have I guess it would end up being a waste of time and money. Since I wont really be ready for a full time job for a couple of years I think I might start looking for something part time and take some refresher courses too. Thanks again! 

Jul 14, 17 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"Need advice on the path to a degree in Architecture."

The Nth degree is the best degree.

Jul 14, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
h0wl

In my experience, having a 4-year pre-professional (unaccredited) B.S. in Architecture looks exactly as good as it sounds. Like BS. I wish I had went to a 5 year program, but realized that 2.5 years in.

20-20 hindsight

Jul 14, 17 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Shenanigans

I've been in the industry for the past 22 years. When I started I was where you are, never thought I'd want to be a licensed architect. 10 years in I realized how wrong I was. Now thanks to NCARB's new portfolio program I'm on the verge of getting my own license but managed to get it without a degree. What I'm finding is that for the most part the industry demands the degree regardless of what the license demands. I have a very solid list of qualifications with years of experience in almost all aspects of architecture yet finding a stable employer has been really difficult. As soon as a hiring manager realizes that I don't have the degree I get passed over for someone with far less practical experience but has the degree. So if you can afford it, go for the degree.

Jul 18, 17 11:22 am  · 
 · 
corbismyhomeboy

Work part time for a few years until you can swing a full time BArch degree.  (Plus the part-time experience will possibly help you get into a BArch program.)  You'll learn a lot in a short amount of time and you'll get out of school sooner (and hopefully in less debt) than you would going the BSArch+MArch route needed for licensure.  And with a BArch you could get licensed later if you wanted without having to go back for an MArch.

Jul 18, 17 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
In those states which allow licensure after x years experience often the AA will count toward some of those years.

Shenanigans is quite correct in regard to employer preference though it is certainly possible to obtain work your options will be limited and you'll hit a glass ceiling in management.

Weigh the pros and cons financially for your needs in terms of the b.arch. Avoid the m.arch if possible. Even states schools are pricey.

If you're at all interested in the construction side of the business they tend to be far more accepting of technical degrees than arch firms, and the pay gets much better much quicker.
Jul 18, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Whatever you do, be aware that heavy student debt will follow you all the days of your life, even when the inevitable real estate recessions leave you un or underemployed.

Jul 19, 17 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

There's nothing a personal bankruptcy won't fix...

Jul 20, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Don't you mean it's nothing a personal bankruptcy will fix?

Jul 21, 17 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: