Archinect
anchor

Professional orientation needed

yeinieryi

Hello friends,

About three years ago I came to US hoping to continue my career as an architect but I've been struggling even to get a job for an architectural firm. I got my first work with an engineering company specialized solar design (photovoltaic design) and I’ve been working on the same place for more than 2 years but now I that I’m trying to return to my original background it’s been really hard to get just a few interviews. I’m aware that I don’t have any experience here in the country so for that reason I’ve been trying to find an architectural drafter position, but for some reason it looks like that role it’s been assigned to the interns. So I’m totally lost on what position should I have to be applying. On one hand I don’t have experience at all of how the things are done in here, but in the other whenever they see my resume it looks like I’m over overqualified. I have more than 10 years working with AutoCAD and around 6 to 7 working with other software like Revit, Sketchup, 3d max, Photoshop among others. I have a 6 years degree from my original country (Cuba) two years of internship, two years supervising construction site and 4 working as a senior architect. So, what am I missing? So far the only certification I’m currently pursuing is the NCARD but for that need to get a job with a registered architect. This has been really frustrating for me so please if you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jul 6, 17 12:56 pm
Non Sequitur

Start at the bottom with the interns.  If you actually know your shit and have translatable construction experience then it won't take long to pass the other entry level staff.

Jul 6, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

If you have to, seek out an internship position for 6 months to a year.  Then work your butt off, go above and beyond and make the boss realize you're an asset that they'll offer you a full-time job.

Jul 6, 17 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
yeinieryi

Thanks for all the recommendations but that is precisely what I've been trying to do and so far it's been easier to get interviews  as an architectural designer rather than as a cad technician or even as an intern. I know location is important since many of my friends in Miami are currently working as a designers but sadly for my relocating is not an option. I also have a family to support so quick my current job to work for free is not an option ether. I would be willing to work for free overnight hours but I don't think any company would be asking for those service.

There is also the problem with the certifications even as a drafter. From time to time I see as a requirement to have all kind of certifications like LEED, AIA and so. I know I need the NCARB certification to get my license but I haven't decide about the other two. What should be a good starting point or if there any other important that I'm currently missing?

Jul 6, 17 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sounds like you could write your own ticket in Miami. Where are you located?

Jul 6, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
yeinieryi

Raleigh, NC

Jul 7, 17 7:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If you haven't had anyone look over your resume and offer comments, do that. Ask them if they know anyone who might be interested and have them pass your resume on if they do. 

Jul 6, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
yeinieryi

After giving it a thought, that actually sound like a really good idea. I can probably relay on some recent connections on Linkedin, so will try that one too. Thanks

Jul 7, 17 8:20 am  · 
 · 
archinine
You don't need LEED though it can be nice to have - wait til you're working somewhere that will pay it for you. AIA is just a membership and certainly not a requirement for a job. You're on the right track pursuing NCARB and higher level positions such as architectural designer. Some designers are licensed some are not. Don't bother with CAD or intern jobs if you've gotten even a single response about a designer position as that is more in line with your experience. Job Captain and Project Architect would also likely be fitting for your level.

Never work for free - it will only lead to more offers for more unpaid work.

Good luck
Jul 7, 17 8:33 am  · 
 · 
yeinieryi

What about an Autodesk certification? On one of recent interview I was asked how do I prove I know revit and making a test was not an option. Even worst the interviewer didn't knew how to use the software so I had no idea how to answer. I personally can easily tell how well you know the software just with a few questions.

Jul 7, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Hop over to Miami, find any architecture firm and tell them "Soy de Cuba". Two minutes later you will be rolling in the job offers. 

Being Cuban in Miami is like being Jewish in NY, a badge that will open doors you didn't know existed. 

Jul 7, 17 10:24 am  · 
 · 
yeinieryi

LOL, yes I'm aware of that but like I said before, sadly for me relocating is not an option since my family is already established here in NC.

Jul 7, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 
archinine
An autodesk certification can be helpful. You can put it on your resume as well so it may lead to more call backs. You may also consider writing out the softwares you know under a skills section, along with CA or anything relevant. Sounds like the place you interviewed didn't have it together - I'd say you dodged a bullet. I agree, any decent prospective employer will be able to assess your software knowledge through a few questions. But honestly if one has worked as much as you have this software vs that should not be a deciding factor unless it's specifically a BIM manager role. Learning a new software on the job isn't that difficult for an experienced professional who knows the fundamentals of design/construction. Anyone who asks you to take a software test isn't the kind of place you want to work.
Jul 8, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: