Archinect
anchor

How much to charge family...

x-jla

How much would you charge a close and kinda wealthy family member for a design (100%, 50%, 25% normal rate, etc)...sister in law?  Its a landacape design for a house in a very very exclusive neighborhood.  It will probably take me a good while to complete, but no rush and a good amount of creative freedom...I was thinking of a big discount + "party" with wealthy friends and neighbors and me who just happens to have a bunch of cards in pocket...lol

Jul 3, 17 4:43 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 21 Comments

x-jla

I hate these awkward situations...ugh

Jul 3, 17 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

will probabaly cost around 120-200k 

Jul 3, 17 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

assuming it's someone you want to help: my dad always told people to get some other quotes. Let them decide their discount based on what they realize true cost is.

You can always say no and they have quotes to proceed with

Jul 3, 17 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
proto

"friends and family discount is double"

Jul 3, 17 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Truth in advertising all-too-often:

"(formerly) friends and (newly estranged) family discount"

Jul 3, 17 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Either full rate or no charge. No half-measures. 

Is the wife a decorator?

Jul 3, 17 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I like that answer.

Jul 3, 17 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Full rate. They'll ask for twice as much out of you as any regular client. The problem with a 'discount' is that when anyone, especially someone with money, gets a discount, they just want more more more. Avoid starting down the dark path - spoken from experience. If you want to reel them in create a formal contract, mark up your price and 'discount' it to the normal fee. Classic marketing tactic. The ending cocktail party is a smart move assuming you get through it. Best of luck, this could be the start of something great for your business.
Jul 3, 17 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If they're family and wealthy they should have your best interest at heart so pay at least full price, they can obviously afford it. I'm sure they didn't get wealthy by giving discounts or working for free for their relatives. 

I've did a job for my cousin once and he insisted himself I charged him my normal rate because otherwise he'd feel he robbed me of the opportunity to earn a fair wage by working for someone non-related. Because what kind of family member doesn't want you to earn a decent living?

Jul 4, 17 2:27 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

jeez They're wealthy.  And you still want to give them a discount?  No wonder architects get paid so little.   I'm sure they didn't choose you hoping to get a discount.  Just charge them regular rates but go above and beyond with delivery.

Jul 4, 17 10:56 am  · 
 · 

If they want discounts on a flat fee - tell them you'll do it for an hourly fee not to exceed such and such amount. This requires a good amount of time estimating skill though (which I assume you have).

Jul 4, 17 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It depends on who they are. I've done a few things for family members with mixed results. The best results were with the family member who wanted to pay me whatever I wanted to charge, which was discounted anyways per my choice because they were easy to work with. The worst results were with the family members who felt entitled to my time, effort, and talents and couldn't see the sacrifices I would have to make in order to do the work like give up paying work as someone mentioned above. They were also generally difficult to please and undermining, didn't understand what I was doing or why (wanted a drafter, not a designer). For the former group, I will do my best work, above and beyond. For the latter, I learned to limit work to an initial sketch or something and then have them work it out themselves (struggle through it, ha ha) so I both helped them and ducked out before stuff got ugly. Win-win, win-win. 

Jul 5, 17 7:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I do small things for friends and family for booze only. It's not worth the headache if I include monies owned. Recently, I've been mostly asked for advice on zoning or minor reno items. The problem is most of these questions lead to non conforming projects anyways, so I don't get involved.
Jul 5, 17 7:24 am  · 
 · 
whistler

I don't design my friends houses. I do commercial work for them but stay away from doing their personal home.

Jul 5, 17 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

great advice from everyone as usual.  She insists to pay me, so its not her looking fo a discount, its me feeling obligated to give one.  The project will also be a fun one to work on so Im actually looking forward to it. Thing is we have been friends since middle school way before I even knew my wife...she is very close family, and goes above and beyond for my kids taking them to sports games, movies, vacations, etc...Im gonna read this thread over again and let the advice marinate my brain before I talk to her about it...Thanks all!

Jul 5, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

$0 or +125% of typical to account for them thinking that your time is dispensable.

Jul 5, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Based on OPs response - she isn't looking for nor asked for a discount. Rick B has it. Go above and beyond the way she has for you - but no discounts. Friends and family is how we start our businesses, lowering the price now will follow you when it comes time for referrals.
Jul 5, 17 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Juras1956

I hate these situations. Charge regular rate. You do not work for free >>

Jul 6, 17 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Don't have a problem with a discounted rate, but have the client check out a couple other guys so they see your value

Jul 6, 17 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^^^ Very important concept if they've never hired and paid an architect before.

Jul 6, 17 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

"If I take this gig, it means not being able to take another, full paying job. You've always been good to me, and you can trust that you'll get the best service I can give you at my normal rate."

Jul 6, 17 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Good business 101 - Never sell your service/product based on discounts or low price unless you mass manufacture or want to drive yourself and your business to the ground.  There will always be someone who will sell cheaper than you.  Instead, create unique selling points and incentives for clients to choose you regardless if you charge double or triple.  Most wealthy clients don't really care about price as long as you can convince them with other reasons.  You make sales by winning them over emotionally. 

Jul 7, 17 12:11 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

At first glance, you're right. But those same wealthy clients drive Mercedes, not Hyundai even though both options get them around town equally well.

Jul 7, 17 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That was meant as a reply to David. This posting system sucks ass

Jul 7, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

And folks who but Hyundai do the same. My point is, the iPhone might cost 30% more than any other phone, but it's still the best seller because it's an essentially emotional purchase. I used to be a product designer and no product is marketed for its abilities anymore. We buy with our aspirations in mind.

Jul 8, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

just an update...  I decided to charge full fee, but rather than a typical payment to me, I will accept a savings bond in my kids names... I think that was a good compromise, and feel compensated without feeling bad about not discounting my fees...

Jul 18, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
nabrU

I love a good old family job when it works out like this, no reduction in compensation for services, no selling your skills short and a very diplomatic approach. Good luck on the project and to your children. Respect.

Jul 20, 17 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

can't somebody on craigslist do it for 300 bucks?

Jul 18, 17 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: