Archinect
anchor

2:2 ... help?

HannahLay

I receive my results and I got a 2:2. I had a really bad two years at university, had some personal issues (e.g. mothers health, personal health issues). I'm a hard working individual, before my degree I completed a foundation diploma coming out with a distinction. But regardless, it is on me. 

I failed my final module at university and I have filed an appeal, to get a 2:1 overall I need to get a first on that resit. I am curious, should I just resit in August and leave with a 2:2 overall or try and get a first on my final project next year to achieve a 2:1 overall? I'm not sure what to do as I'm worried that if I don't make that 1st it would be a waste of another year , but then if I don't go for it then I'm denying myself the opportunity of even trying to get it.  

Will my grades make a really big difference in continuing with this career path? I looked into masters programs and I need at least a 2:2 but Middlesex university states they take three years of experience as well instead. I'm not sure what to do, should I redo the two years or just find a job? I have tried searching for a few 12 month Masters courses but I can't find anything anywhere.

I want to pursue my career in interior architecture or interior design, however you chose to phrase it. So I'm really worried about how this would effect my future. Also in the future if I ever wanted to change my career path or apply for a different field would that even be possible with a 2:2?

I'm really conflicted on what to do, should I try to get that 2:1? I have to get around a 73-75 grade. Or should I leave with a 2:2?

Jul 2, 17 1:18 pm
TED

Universities won't let you retake modules that you have already passed - so you can't retake the last two years - 

If you have mitigating circumstances (as it sound like you had) you should apply - that would give you an uncapped resit or possible retake next year (no tuition fee). If you submit the resit - most likely you will pass with uncapped getting a mark.  Perhaps more realistic is trying for a 2.1 on your design element - you could then put on your application '2.2 with 2.1 on final design' - upward progression is always good - 

I would speak to student support people at your Uni for advice.  If you did not pass the module first go, very unlikely you could make that significant of a jump to 73% during the resit period (unless you continually worked on it since you submitted it)  (assuming appeal goes through) to a 1st. 

A university (say Middlesex) advertises 2.1 as min but let me assure you that most likely will take you in with a good portfolio and year out experience - there are some 50 Universities in the UK so at least 25 will let 2.2 in. 

Have you spoken to your family or friends about it?  

Jul 2, 17 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
HannahLay

sorry that was a mistake on my part, I meant to say should I just move on and try to get a job with my 2:2 or actually go through with my appeal and aim for that 1st on the final module to get a 2:1 overall?

Jul 2, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
HannahLay

I did have mitigation issues and have applied to resit the module next year with tuition as it would be a new module (they are getting rid of the module we had for our final project next year). I am willing to do all the work it requires to get that 1st and because I'm not a student who usually does bad it's the fact that the 2:2 will dictate the opportunities I have now that is the worst of it all. I have spoken to my parents about the issue and they have told me they would support me with whatever decision I make but to make realistic decisions and figure out what I need to do. My friends say stick to the 2:2 as it would mean I would be done with university. I didn't know that I even had a chance at most masters because I thought they wouldn't really accept lower than the 2:1 (other than the few like Middlesex). But my real issue is should I just accept the 2:2 and find a placement year, or try my luck and work my arse off an d try for the 2:1. Would it be worth it?

Jul 2, 17 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Lots of students trip in final year - I've seen a 2 week flu cause great havoc

Jul 3, 17 5:16 am  · 
 · 
TED

By Your post, looks like you want to give it a go - so do it. Suggest a couple of things: 1] speak to your design tutor/course leader and get advice on what things you need to do over the summer to improve you skills 2] with the lighter load try to get connected with as many people as possible to discuss your ideas - these networks should include future employers 3] Bartlett show ends Tomorrow so go down, buy a catalogue and check out the brilliant work - can you draw or make models to this level? AA closes also this week. 4] as a PT student you may loose your council tax exemption - if you live with other students this impacts their tax - so speak to your uni about this ---5] good luck!

Jul 3, 17 5:31 am  · 
 · 
HannahLay

Thank you so much for your reply and advice! This was really helpful :)

Jul 3, 17 8:19 am  · 
 · 
TED

Also - try Mindfullness or yoga to deal with stress issues - models, even scrappy ones help students work out ideas and generate lots of feedback - accept the fact you won't really be a brilliant architect until your 35-40 so slow learning is the way to go - sketch, make models, do beautiful drawings -

Jul 3, 17 8:35 am  · 
 · 

In two weeks you posted the same thing 4 times. 

It is apparent that you have chosen the wrong career path. 

Jul 2, 17 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
HannahLay

I have recently received my results that's why I posted about it again. But yes the past two times was so that I could get more answers on it so I knew my options. When I'm worried I tend to do such things. I don't see how this has anything to do with my choice of career path though, but regardless sorry to have wasted your time :)

Jul 2, 17 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: