Archinect
anchor

No passion. Should I continue studying Architecture or switch?

John_Red

Hello everyone.

I feel bad for writing such a long post considering how architects aren't known to have much free time. But I will try either way and hope for the best.

I am facing a dilemma.

I am currently an architecture student at one of the best universities in my country. When it was time to choose, I still didn't know who I wanted to be, so I went with my parent's advice on going for architecture as it is "a respectable job that earns good money." I didn't have passion or much interest in the major, but my parents claimed that that will appear over time as I am exposed to it; that I am "bound to like something about it eventually." I went with it for the supposed money with the hopes that I'll find passion in it along the way.

I barely finished my freshman year now, and I found the experience traumatic. At the first few months, I was interested in this major and was doing well. However, after a while everything started piling up and my morale started decreasing. Eventually I didn't find joy in what I was doing, and any good ending assignment never felt like it was worth the effort and time. I started violating my sleep cycle in order to keep up, which had its effects on my mentality, making me very depressed all the time. I also started wasting more time on things like video games, probably to momentarily escape the situation.

And so, as the year went by, I didn't find passion in architecture. I did even more research about architecture and found out that it is not as prestigious as many people claim it is (most of these people who claim so are not architects themselves). Their job, lifestyle and the requirement of near total devotion to the career does not appeal to me. I don't mind being totally absorbed into a career - but I imagine you can only do it if you are really into it. It all further discouraged me as I didn't seem to be getting passion for architecture. Meanwhile, I got to see how it's like to have passion for it from my classmates. Most of my them had quite the flowery background stories of wanting to be architects since birth. A lot of them had passion. We all went through the same thing - going sleepless for days, spending days on tedious assignments, worrying about the future, and generally mocking our miserable states. Yet that didn't stop them for being interested in the subject. In each assignment, they would experiment, try something new, go off the limits defined by the assignments. Always researching, keen on finding something new to use in their designs. Me? I did only the minimum - filling the criteria of the assignments. I just couldn't bring up any motivation to do anything extra. Didn't research more than needed because I... didn't really care. I was extremely conservative of my energy, and although such a simple approach to assignments earned some positive attention from my juries, I don't think anything I had made would come close to what others made. I realized that what drives these classmates of mine is passion. It is like a hidden energy source inside of them that allows them to just power through all this. I felt me not having it left me at a huge disadvantage. It also proved problematic in group projects where I felt like I couldn't contribute to my group enough due to not being able to put something new on the table (although it's worth mentioning that they were the best in class). Although we became good friends, I still felt guilt over not being able to contribute as much as they did. It was not like me. I am usually a good team player. Overall, my GPA wasn't anything good but enough to keep the tuition discount (about 2.8/4).

So after the year ended, I tried talking to my parents about switching departments from architecture to english language and literature. It is a department that I may do very well at, based on my scores in its related subjects and opinions from teachers and friends at that department. I also have interest in it, as when I took subjects related to it, I acted like my classmates in architecture did (I researched extra, I experimented, I pondered, I went overtime and overboard. The end result felt very satisfying). I just find it easier, more natural to me, and more interesting than architecture. Problem is - it is not one of those big majors like Medicine, Engineering, Law or Architecture. The related to it jobs are much more varied, and the wages are usually less than those of architecture related. There is more uncertainty, higher risk. Thus my parents were completely against this idea. They don't see it as something that can provide money. To note: you also can't double major or get a minor in my university either, so it is a single choice.

They blamed me not doing well on my laziness, to which I agree as it seems natural that you feel lazy when doing something you don't like to do. They say I didn't give architecture enough effort, that I should try even harder and harder (I don't know how though as I feel powerless in it). They say I didn't give architecture a chance - that everyone has similar problems in their first year, and that everything will get better as I will continue studying it. They say that I would be losing a very big opportunity here as I'm studying a very prestigious profession in a very prestigious university. They also have some architect contacts that can give me a job as soon as I graduate. It might be worth noting that my parents both came from poor-middle class. They might not have had a choice to choose more prestigious careers, but they did end up choosing what they wanted to choose and were good at.

What I want to know is if what they are saying can be true. Can I really eventually like it? Am I not giving it enough chance? How much chance is enough? Should I listen to my parents or my heart?

Another problem is if I continue as an architecture student this year again, I may get a low GPA, which would lower my tuition discount (we won't be able to afford it then), and disqualify me from a department transfer (as it requires a good GPA). My parents say to continue but my heart says to switch. No other department interests me. Nothing is certain, that's for sure. I don't know if I will like english language and literature as a major either, but unlike architecture, I have things to back that assumption up. And while I don't know everything, I do know what I know - that is, I tried architecture and I didn't like it after one year. Things can go bad for both paths regardless, but I would like to think that having yourself responsible for your actions is better than blaming others when it is you who agreed to do things their way, not your way. I'm afraid that I won't find passion in architecture even out of the university, and end up being either jobless or a nobody in a low-pay, high-stress and over-time job. Blaming my parents wouldn't give me back my time in such an outcome. Neither would blaming myself if I were to choose to go my way and reach a bad conclusion. But it feels better knowing that it would at least be my own decision and I understood what I was doing.

The deadline for the department switch is in just 2 days. As I am typing this message, I feel like I have a needle poking inside my brain, and my heart being dragged down by a heavy stone. My energy is being drained on its own, and I can feel my soul leaving the body. I'm afraid that my parents may be right, but also afraid that I might be right.

So should I switch or is one freshman year indeed not enough to know if the major is for me? What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance. I do apologize for the long, long walls of text. I also didn't sleep today as the deadline for switching is in just 2 days and I'm worried, so there might be a lot of grammatical/syntax errors in the text. I also know that this all may sound trivial, naive and childish, but I am desperate for opinions. Just found this website a few hours ago, and I decided it would be a good place to get opinions from architects themselves. My academic adviser didn't provide me with much insight into the matter unfortunately.

Jul 2, 17 11:28 am
randomised

Just scanned it diagonally. If you don't like it, just switch because life's too short and it will only get harder. But...do you know what to switch to already? Imagine working 40+ hrs a week at a job you dislike, you'll be here browsing the forums on archinect all of the time and who would want that? But if you can get by in class by doing the bare minimum and still pass, you must have some talent for it though. Maybe you're just more efficient than your peers or don't need to hide behind all of that bullshit. You might be doing fine in an architecture office by focussing on all the other aspects of the job besides designing and fancy concepts, lots of people enjoy that too. I don't know, didn't sleep all that well last night, have a competition to start and finish in a week and my little boy is teething...so there's that. Good luck!

Jul 2, 17 11:57 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Just research salary for architects and show that to your parents. many people with 10 years experience make 50-60k which is entry level salary for most engineers. Also like your picking up on, you work wayyyyyy more then your peers who go on to make way more then you. And then with that additional salary they buy houses to flip or invest in and actually make cool additions ect. while you live in a box your whole life. Honestly don't do it, if you think it sucks now just wait till you graduate, have to sit around drawing accessible bathrooms all day and make very little money.

Jul 2, 17 12:12 pm  · 
3  ·  1
archinine
Agreed with others, if you don't enjoy it now it's only going to get worse. I started out incredibly passionate, known others with a similar story, and became really disenchanted once I realized the crap salaries and how hard it would ever be to hit life milestones like a house, marriage etc due to the financials and general stress of the job over inane details. I've realized the only ones who seem to really excel/be ok with the shit pay and long hours are those who are truly enamored with the smallest details or are so wealthy they can start their own practice/make all decisions right out of school. Some have mentioned you can contribute to the professional on the 'business' side etc but you still have to get through the parts that you seem to not enjoy.

Low GPAs are common in arch for even the best and most passionate -which is problematic if you decide on graduate school in the future. If you're worried about low pay with English lit you sort of answered your own qualm - very diverse and open opportunities there. You don't have to just write or go into something low paid like publishing. You can go into communications, media, PR, consulting, all sorts of high paying roles, especially out of a highly ranked school which presumably has a big alumni network. If you're unsure now about a career (which is totally normal!) get a decent GPA doing something you don't loathe, take those three years to figure it out, and do something more 'lucrative' in grad school. Or work a few years between, get your feet wet with some random internships that interest you. It's toxic that the university system forces teenagers to decide on a set career for life before living hardly any of it. Architecture does not translate to much outside of AEC - though teachers will lie and tell you otherwise out of self preservation. English may sound fluffy but it isn't. It's how you use that degree and what you spend your outside time exploring/pursuing that will help you decide on a profession you actually like.

Note this is what I would tell myself if I could go back in time, your description is in many ways familiar though certainly not identical.
Jul 2, 17 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
philler
You are obviously self-aware enough to know it's not a healthy choice for you to continue with architecture. Architecture school is hard on your physical and mental health. It's causing you depression, and without passion for it, continuing is going to make the struggle worse. It's a question of your health.
What you study should excite you. You've observed the passion and obsession of your peers. Don't feel guilty about not having the same passion, but instead take that realization and learn from it, find something else, like English literature, speak with those professors who are there to guide you (and whom you are paying to do so) and find out the paths you can take.
It seems like you want to do a good job in whatever it is you do, but you can't do a good job in something you don't like.
Aaaand architects don't make a lot of money. Architecture is not something you can do unless absolutely love it. Like others have said - it's long hours, and little money. What keeps people in the field, then, is the fact that they MUST do it.
Jul 3, 17 6:41 am  · 
 · 
breakit

I was like you when I was a freshman. I'm not in the position of giving any advice, so here's what I did. 

1st year- I wanted to quit - I asked myself 'is one year really enough to decide anything?'

3rd year- I wanted to quit - I asked myself 'is one year really enough to decide anything?' 

5th year - I graduated, quit architecture, got a completely random job. 

2years after graduation - I miss architecture. I'm back. 

Who knows? you might find your dream job after quitting architecture. If you choose to stay, you might still to be asking the same question every year. But what I learned from my experience is that years definitely count. Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well. 

Jul 3, 17 7:42 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Not wanting to be an architect is NOT a character flaw.

Jul 3, 17 9:30 am  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Life is only so long, you're still young without responsibilities. Just what makes you happy and you'll be more successive than doing something you hate.

Jul 3, 17 9:35 am  · 
1  · 

Definitely do what makes you happy. A classmate of mine did the freshman year of architecture, switched out for a bit and realized he wanted to be an architect, and switched back in. He graduated a year later than the rest of us but at least he knew.

We all have our moments where we question our passion for architecture. I'm one of the weird ones that always wanted to be an architect so I know that no matter how awful I feel about it at any one moment, I know it's just a phase/mood and it will pass.

And sorry, compared to the amount of school and exams we have to go through, the profession doesn't pay too terribly well. I have to combat this on dates all the time. They think I'm paid like a finance bro.

Jul 3, 17 10:37 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Just eat cereal, ride a bicycle and wear charity clothing

Jul 3, 17 10:49 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

With respect to that op, have you considered a career in spec writing?

Jul 3, 17 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Having passion can be a big drawback in architecture. There is much in the profession to suck the passion out of you.

Jul 3, 17 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Passion is an invention of self help books and snake oil salesmen

You can't be psyched for everything all the time.

Jul 3, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Agreed. You have to wonder about the mental health of someone who gets passionate about the building code. If you can achieve a quiet satisfaction from a job done in a professional manner, you're doing good.

Overly passionate people can be a real pain in the ass and a detriment to themselves and those around them.

Jul 3, 17 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I was given a warning by my ex manager because I didn't look happy ever time I worked on autocad. He expected me to be ecstatic ...working on floor plans and reflected ceilings.....

Jul 4, 17 4:10 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Of course, but we are lucky to be older now, if a preschool kid looks bored or inattentive, he gets stuffed with pills

Jul 4, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 
eronotfound

I am in the same boat as you. I am in my second year of architecture bachelors. And I hate it already. I didn't know much about architecture just like you. The only reason I'm here is because again, just like you, I was offered the subject from the most prestigious university of my country. My parents got excited and they kind of talked me into it saying stuff like how I'll enjoy it. Two years in and I still don't enjoy it. It's taking a toll on my health. I can't sleep timely, can't eat timely. It's always work work work. It's driving me crazy. I am really really depressed. I wanted to be an engineer. When I see my engineering friends doing so well, having time off to do part time jobs, it furthers my sadness. I want to switch to but to an engineering degree. I don't know which engineering degree is going to be the best to transfer to if I want to keep some of the credits from architecture.

My advice to you, switch. It isn't worth struggling.

Apr 6, 18 9:36 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

You're both so young. Don't continue down a road that you know isn't leading where you want to go. Get out now and find something better, and if the architecture credits don't transfer, then consider them a sunk cost and forget about it. Don't pick your next major based on trying to recoup the cost of your previous mistake. You've got a long life ahead, and the two years of architecture you've invested are spit in the ocean.

Apr 7, 18 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 
wynne1architect@gmail.com

switch

Apr 6, 18 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Maryamm

i am in the same situation and your parents sound like mine. But I am in Engineering with zero passion and motivation. I have passion and motivation for Architecture, but my parents wont let me, and I cant have my way because I feel guilty going against their wish.

Sep 23, 18 5:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's called adulting, make your own decisions.

Sep 23, 18 6:24 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

This is an ADULT decision that you will live with the rest of your life. There is a time when you have to break free from the role of child. Don't feel guilty if your dreams don't coincide with theirs. No matter how much they love you, they have no business trying to impose their dreams on your life. I say this as someone who would be unenthusiastic if my own kid wanted to be an architect. I know too much, and I probably would personally agree with your parents on the merits. But, it's your life and you need to learn some lessons on your own, good and bad.

Sep 23, 18 3:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Being an adult is hard. Better ask random strangers on the internet to help me. Kidsthesedays, amiright?

Sep 25, 18 8:20 am  · 
 · 
archibox3

Some people have very few or no friends to ask for help. You can't just ask your parents/family the whole. Crossing different opinions and answers can help you make your own decisions. Stop shaming people seek help online, I am sure you would do the same if you had this kind of internet back in your day

May 27, 21 3:46 pm  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

Many (most) schools can take the most fascinating, interesting, and absorbing subjects like engineering and architecture, and make both of them deadly dull and uninteresting. Take some time off to study and visit, if possible, some noteworthy buildings and civil engineering projects in your area. There are collegial firms in both disciplines that treat their employees well. Too often the university experience is just something you have to put up with while you teach yourself the subject.

Sep 23, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I want to quit every fucking day!

Sep 24, 18 9:31 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Do it!

https://i.giphy.com/media/yE3P...

Sep 25, 18 4:07 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Hard to do when you have mouths to feed bro.

Sep 25, 18 7:42 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I’m a prisoner to my own sentencing.

Sep 25, 18 7:42 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Well over a 1000 openings here...come on, nobody will give you another job just like that. It's up to you: https://archinect.com/jobs/list

Sep 25, 18 8:16 am  · 
 · 
Vas_co

Hi John_Red! When I read I felt like I wrote this! I was totally in your situation from 2010-2013. I am very sorry I wasn't here when you needed it the most for an answer but I will tell you what I did.

I never really liked architecture. I was so fond of automotive engineering, however, since it being a very unstable career I had to choose architecture to please my parents. My father specially put loads of pressure and it made my life miserable in terms of his demands and financially too. It cost a fortune to pay the tuition fees. I was completely disinterested in archi and focused mostly on my personal life and part-time jobs. I was into cars obviously, so I spend most of my time earning money, buying sports cars and tuning them. It was the best days of my life and I never let architecture bother me. 

Unfortunately, deep inside architecture was eating me, affecting me, breaking my individuality into pieces. I managed to finish my bachelor's  and went directly into my master's in 2014. This is when it got worse! I was a young jovial, vibrant, strong personality and all of a sudden I fell into depression! By end of year I did not even withdraw properly from the course and simply disappeared from university!

It is not that I was a bad student, I had a flair for architecture, loved designing since I was always a design student since high school with good grades. It's just the tonnes of bs philosophy that I was exposed to and accumulating all these years at architecture school. The more I matured, the more it made sense that architecture is truly an overrated subject! Yes it is, in 2020 I can tell you this course will phase out in the near future as it is a dying profession. Architecture is no more dictated by some elitist upper class clique but by the changing economy. I'll touch on that later.*

I spend two years figuring out what to do cause I too felt like I'm a good for nothing (this is what architecture and the d*ckheads teaching it do to you). Why would you study a subject that doesn't even know its existence? This unresolved debate about what is architecture, lol. I don't want anyone to teach me what it is cause I know 'what it is not'! In 2017 I joined the most prestigious business school in my country as by now I had inferiority complexes. I started to recover and shine again at the business school. My friends would usually call me the politics guy, the management guy. I got a job at a property development firm. Everything was go great until I decided to finish my master's in architecture as I never leave anything unfinished.

Today I am writing this as I put myself again in the same situation I was in 2014. *Yes architecture is overrated and mostly contradicting. In 2020, architecture is NOTHING that I was taught in 2010. All of a sudden now architecture is about the economy and business lol. That's my cup of tea and I've no trouble to handle the work load in anyway. I'm more mature, more prepared and gotten work experience. What is affecting me is realizing that architecture is a complete waste of time. Don't buy these passion bs, doesn't exist. You should do everything passionately! But if something doesn't align with your philosophy  or your nature then absolutely don't do it. You will flourish and reach your full potential in whatever you are inclusive with. I hope you listened to your heart and ditched architecture. There's many possibilities out there, don't limit yourself with one thing, specially not architecture . Because architecture is not;

1. a science

2. art

3. humanity

4. engineering

5. a profession

6. and so many more.

Facts - 

1. Most of my classmates do not work as architects, some many never completed the course (just like me). 

2. We started with a batch of 400 students at year one and by year 4 there was only 90 left. At my new uni there is around 150 students at year 4 because it is ranked among top 50 archi schools worldwide. 

3. Registering as an architect comes with liabilities.  

4. Architecture graduates earn the lowest salary in the country.

5. Not a secure job position because of the economy.

6. 90% archi firms according to the archi board in my country is made up of 2-3 people and run as partnership or sole trader. We know failure rates of small businesses.

7. This is a dying profession and is only glamourised. 99.999999999% of use are not starchitect and never will be.

8. You don't need a degree to practice architecture, anyone can become an architect by passing the registration exam.

9. I've confirmed archi is of no use and I will be dropping out again as I have a secure job that pays more than an architecture graduate, can't take more loans.  

10. Like Will Smith said, I find architecture is like sky diving, don't let fear rule you. Standing there is architecture and if you jump, you overcome it and you reach your destination! I hope you didn't stay on that plan and never took the leap, cause that plane will run out of fuel and eventually crash! 

Mar 24, 20 9:09 am  · 
3  · 
Vas_co

fact 11. working in an architecture or construction firm is fun! studying architecture at uni is not.

Mar 24, 20 9:18 am  · 
 · 
dreijinld

Currently switching to a BSIT course, will pursue programming for the practicality of our generation with technologies. Sure I don't have enough passion for this but let's face reality, wjat we nees is money and money will support our hobby. I still like architecture but the school system in my archi school sucks for now I'll switch, will check back if I wanna study architecture after I graduate or ai night be just a peraon appreciating architectural design than making it. Supposed to be on my 4th year in archi school but will switch for my needs not want. Also I am a sporty person with my hobbies to train in martial arts, architecture will take my time for it and it will lessen my physicality to keep up with people training with me. We might regret transfering but time will pass and we'll understand it all.

Jul 12, 20 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
John_Red

Hey everyone.

I do get messages from other people in my situation asking what decision I took and if I regret it or not. Allow me to update my situation.

After finishing my 2nd year of Architecture, I did an internship at a company. It was not up to my liking. I had two other interns working with me, and I could see their passion as they took notes and practiced on the office's architectural tools in the free office hour times, whereas I just diddle-daddled to pass the time.

Anyway, it was a very hot summer and eventually I snapped. I quit Architecture, my university, and got into a huge fight with my parents who kicked me out of the house and country. I spent my summer depressed in my home country, constantly thinking what I am good at and what I can do. I realized I was good at English and Teaching even when I never really tried, so I applied for English Language Teaching in a different, prestigious university.

I am currently halfway on my 3rd year in ELT, and I have to say, I have zero regrets other than wasting a ton of tuition money on Architecture.

I have excellent grades in ELT, became a High Honor student and have full scholarship, the tasks and homework are something I can do without dying inside, I have interest in the field and share it with my classmates, I've got free time for myself, and best of all, I am able to earn a lot of part-time money by teaching, so you can say the field is immediately redeeming. Not saying it is the best - I am only saying that it is right up my alley. Hell, I even got a loving girlfriend now. Your field really affects your life in all aspects. I am just truly happy to be alive now.

I do not look back at my Architecture years with regret. Any nostalgia I have for it are only due to my friends and the moments, as I remember the pain I went through. Even if English Language Teaching turned out to be bad, I would not go back to Architecture. I have zero regrets, and neither do I regret spending two years studying Architecture. It taught me a valuable lesson on doing what you want and are good at. Passion MATTERS people. Fight for it. I got kicked out by my parents just to put myself into the right path. Only you can decide your own fate. To note - after seeing how drastically my mood and grades improved after switching to the ELT department, and also with me financially helping them, my parents realized they made a mistake on being persistent with Architecture and are very proud of me. So yes, you CAN prove your parents wrong. No one knows you better than you, not even your parents.

Just make sure whatever you pick is something you have genuine interest in. Forget prestige and potential big bucks if you don't have interest and motivation for that field. A big bonus is if you also have hints that you are exceptionally good at something. It is hard to realize, but you may have things like people commenting and praising you on something you do. Try to watch out for those - reflect on your memories to try to find them. For example, I got praised by my Architecture teachers for giving great presentations. They said I would make a great teacher. I also loved my English classes in the university, and too got such comments from those teachers. Hence why I discovered I have an affinity towards the field.

On a side note, I have several old Architecture classmates who graduated recently. Only around a couple decided to continue pursuing Architecture. Many have switched to other professions, like IT and Software development, and even Event Organizer. One even switched in the middle into Medicine - goes to show you that switching is not about picking something "easier" (as your parents would undoubtedly say) but rather something you would like doing. If you made the right decision, then that field will come off as easier for you because you are good at it. Extremely few of my Architecture friends have jobs, and many respected my decision to leave. To note - these are the pandemic times, they are recent graduates, and it does depend on which country you are in, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Lastly, I would like to mention that my choice and its outcome are not universal. Perhaps I got lucky, or perhaps I knew myself enough to make the right decision. Either way, results may wary. I still haven't graduated yet to know if it was the right choice in the long term, but at least I know where I'm headed. Understand that I am not saying that Architecture is a bad field. Rather, I'm telling you that any field can be horrible if you don't like it. If you gave Architecture a chance (1 or 2 years), and you hate it and wish to switch - it is totally fine to do so. Just make sure you know what to switch to.

Good luck!

May 7, 21 7:09 pm  · 
8  · 
midlander

this is a wonderfully lucid account of your realization and a good outcome. i'm glad you returned with the update. good luck in your new career!

May 7, 21 7:56 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

your story reminds me of my own decision in high school to study architecture. i had requested a reference from my english literature teacher, a kind and thoughtful man. when i made the request he pulled me aside to warn against studying architecture - turns out he had studied architecture as an undergraduate before dropping out and transferring into english! he had a very poor view of architecture education and opportunities for the profession.

May 7, 21 7:59 pm  · 
3  · 
midlander

of course i totally ignored him, thanked him for the reference, and went on to be one of those students who struggled but refused to quit and have been largely pleased with my career choice as an architect. while the advice to "follow your passion" is cliched and puts too much pressure on finding a perfect job, the truth is you absolutely must find something you like doing to have a good life. for anyone who feels like what their doing is a slog, don't ignore that feeling - better opportunities exist.

May 7, 21 8:03 pm  · 
3  · 

Thanks for posting the update. Glad to hear things seem to be working out for you. Best of luck in your ELT program and future career.

May 7, 21 8:10 pm  · 
1  · 
daph

I feel like I'm looking at myself. Only difference is that I have already graduated. I have been jobless for the past 2 years, realizing that I don't have any skills that are considered significant enough to give me a job i.e. specifically modelling and visualization. Whatever interest I had for the subject and for research during my undergraduate studies has died down. I just convinced myself to apply for grad school this year so that I can revive whatever little passion I have left, only to come across this post and go through all that turmoil of doubts again.

May 9, 21 1:39 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

listen to your gut on this, it's obviously not working for you and another degree won't change that. study out of curiosity and enthusiasm not despair.

May 9, 21 2:40 am  · 
3  · 
dreijinld

I stopped Architecture after my 3rd year on it, I know I don't know all of it but I got the idea of what architecture and what it's like, I do love it but I'm not passionate enough about it, if you're not passionate enough about it, you better stop. I keep hearing that architects don't really get paid too high after all, if you chose that for money your better stop cause it's for those die hard passionate person, it's like one hobby lifestyle, if you like to do other hobbies, architecture will take a toll from you. I used to have a hard time managing my time to get to my hobbies whenever there is a plate so yeah. Instead I went into IT, after this academic freeze I did some self evaluation and got myself into some anxiety attacks that led me to this decision, although not very passionate about it at least I know this is a profession of this time plus there is a good chance and wages on it as I have observed to many people in this profession. But in some case I might just appreciate architecture as it is and know the struggles of those architects for the least. 

May 9, 21 6:17 am  · 
1  · 
architorture1

Hello, I am in the same situation. I started studying architecture almost one year ago when I decided I want to apply for the architecture university.I like art in general,and the process of creating something is incredible for me,I always wanted to try different materials,to feel them and experiment with them.So architecture was like an ultimate aspiration to me,because of the process creating of a building,I viewed it as creating a painting or a sculpture,but to the next level,where people can use it or admire it. For me I was thinking that I will leave behind my art through architecture.

I am at the moment preparing for the university exam,I am not admitted yet.When I started, I really enjoyed it, I wanted to learn new things and explore this new subject that I have never tried before. But slowly I lost all interest,to the point where I barely finish my homework, I leave it for the last moment/night and obviously I can't finish it,mostly I just do the sketch and never get to finish it properly...And that is because of how the professor treated me I belive,never told me when I was making any progress,never motivated me in any way,and just criticized me even though I was trying my best  and really tried. And I saw the difference of attidude with me or with couple other kids who didn't do very well  and with the kids that were good or kids from art school who of course are better and have a special talent for it. This behavior made me lose all my interest and from tuition to tuition I feel like I don't want to go anymore, and feel suffocated by the fact that i don't finish all my work,don't feel motivated to even do it and that I try to explain her that I can't do more as she expects but she's criticizing me.Last time she even got to say something very personal to me in front of the other kids,which was not even true,and had nothing to do with architecture and I felt like it wasn't needed.

Now,the architecture exam is coming soon and we also have to prepare a portofolio of a certain amount of works which we have to create now,but due to the other exams we'll have cause I'm in the 12th grade I find it extremely hard to do all 4(learning for the 3 exams for highschool and also working for the portofolio and preparing for the arch exam).And on top of that,she expect and actually suggested us to not learn that much for the highschool exams and just do the portofolio,which I don't agree and all this pressure she's constantly applying makes me have almost no progress.

Since I worked so hard and there are 2 more months til I finish with all the exams, I don't know if I should quit or not.Because I feel like I don;t want to do it anymore,but at the same time I'm telling myself that maybe I will like it in university,but maybe that's just a hope..I also can tell that Im definetely not as pasionate as my other coleagues which I can see that are driven by a crazy passion. I don't fully  blame the professor for my interest lost,but for sure she had a major role in this so..I don't know I'm  confused,and for the past months I constantly asked myself if I liked it or not and I was more into the no.

I always liked art and had artistic hobbies,but I never studied in an art school so I'm not sure if I have a real talent or I just enjoy doing art stuff.So I was thinking as an alternative,to go to the art university since I really enjoy this segment of art but the thing with it is that it's not a secure job as all the other "normal" ones and that makes me incline towards a normal university,even though I really really like everything about art(but repeat,I might not have suffiecient talent for it..but creativity yea). 

I searched this topic because I was in the same situation,and I'm looking forward to hear other opinions on it...it's really no more time(2 months) and I have to decide but the decision of a future job seems too hard when I don't have something solid.And also even though I don't like it anymore,I constantly live with the thought that if I will leave now I will lose the oportunity of actually liking it and becoming a great architect..but again this is probably just a hope,a left hope in me.

May 12, 21 7:30 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Sorry didn’t read all of it yet but you say you can’t do more but you leave it to the last minute to finish things...if you’d only started earlier, not the last minute you’d have something to show and discuss and the teacher would have something to critique or work with...you often get out of it what you put into it.

May 13, 21 2:42 am  · 
1  · 
architorture1

It's a degrading thing that I got into due to repetitive and constant critique and not seeing any motivation and evolution. Like I said, I used to finish my work but slowly I started avoiding it and it became something I almost run from,something that I don't even start in the first lla

May 13, 21 3:26 am  · 
1  · 
architorture1

place*

May 13, 21 3:27 am  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

​Sounds like you're experiencing burnout, it really does kill motivation to do anything :(... One thing I'd suggest regarding your aspirations - instead of pursuing architecture perhaps try something like sculpture or furniture design, where you can design something interesting and admired but will still be used. You can always transition back into architecture with a Master's of Architecture (plus you'll have a far better portfolio+experience, and be ready for architecture school's overwork & continual critiquing). Cheers, and good luck!

May 27, 21 5:38 pm  · 
2  · 
architorture1

Yea, I literally found out about the concept of burnout couple days ago, didn't know it's a thing but it totally matches my situation. It's kind of hard to get over it,since I tried to.motivate myself to push and continue through this but I see myself letting in the hands of fate.Also, in my country architecture studies take 6 years(including masters but it s not separate though,like if you don't finish all 6 years you won't get your architrcture degree/diploma whatever you call it)

May 28, 21 8:22 am  · 
3  · 
Archi.terature

Hi! I am almost in the middle of my third year in architecture as a student and man I felt every word that you said. I searched “I wanna quit architecture “, which was what I had in my mind and it led me here! I needed something, anything that would help my mind because at this point I felt the frustrations with myself getting to its highest peak. I have deadlines coming as the semester’s about to end and I knew I did not do well, it frustrates me to think that I might retake 1 or 2 major subjects just because I let my mind be eaten up by my regrets. And my audacity to write here even when there are still plates waiting for me, I mean who does that?! I know, a mentally ill one. On a serious note… I did chose this path on my own, I didn’t really knew why. Maybe because I look up too much to my dad, though he’s an engineer, and one thing led to another here I am taking up architecture. Sometimes I would laugh at myself and cry at the same time without tears for this. Ever since I was young, I knew I am into literature heck I would have become a teacher if I would have live with my grandma. Come on, no offence to literature or other fields but I would have been so chill if I have chose that path cause I knew I would enjoy it. Architecture? This path is hell! How much can we imply from studying in an actual field? I would often hear from others that when you’re in an actual work, you’ll feel that everything’s new and you’re gonna learn what you’re supposed to learn in there.

I was on an aviation college where I took my 2 year senior high school before getting on one of the known universities in my country. Anyway, my classmates and friends are really into aviation and you can see and feel their enthusiasm when one of our aviation subject were being thought. But even after being surrounded by these people and my brothers I knew that I was not gonna fall in love with aviation as they do. I just wish I have that same fixed feeling towards what I’ve chose. I know what I want now but don’t dare to quit this fresh hell because it meant giving up for me and that is something that would break my purpose. At least I felt that way. And many would think of me as foolish and “trying hard” but that’s the only thing I am holding onto. I mean my greatest and only enemy is myself, it always has been. I’ve fought with it many times before but we’re still here. 

I feel like there have been something wrong with me and I knew that, my mind always contradicts. If I thought negatively there would be an immediate response of possibilities and reasons as to why, and vice versa. Like what I am writing now. I am not pushing myself. I may have felt burn out, stresses, anxiety or even depression in my life but it’s just in me that I cannot get rid of, that’s why everyday I just learned to embrace it. You maybe done with your college or maybe you’ve chosen another path at this point but I wanna thank you for this. I know what I needed to do now. I know I am going to fail and I think that is something that I needed because I hate failing that would just make me wanna fight it. There are many chances along the way and I’m aware of it because I do know I do not deserve it. My insecurities towards myself and a high standard that I let myself into is all me. Not because you hear it from other people but because people tends to say what they see. It’s basic human characteristics, we do perceive other as how they want them to be perceived - we may or may not be aware of it. I used to blame others that’s why I have to be great in academics or on other things but it’s all me. 
I feel much better that I get to write my thoughts. Now, I just needed courage to go on. To anyone who for some weird reason read this whole thing up, I wish you all the courage that you needed. Look on a bright side and it’ll show something. Connect with your love ones too! Change is inevitable so whatever you’re going through with anything or anyone it would eventually pass and when that happens I hope we all choose without regrets~ Bye~

Dec 16, 21 12:15 pm  · 
Sunblader

Hey OP! Have just read your story in midnight and I am feeling inspired the first time in the week. I am kinda the same as you with the mentality "I want to quit", I have got the admission of a Master degree in UCL and I even pay part of the deposit, I decide to quit. Absolutely not a easy decision and the same pressure from my parents. I decide to go for UI/UX, I spent 3 months producing portfolios and now have submit some application to Human-Centered Interaction/CS master degrees. However, I regard if I receive offers I will use it as a stone to knock the doors. I still keep an open mind towards other fields like NLP, data science etc. Anyway, it is so great to see you doing well in ELT and comeback stronger, and you are not alone.

Dec 22, 21 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
ariadanica

I feel so happy reading these... I thought my feelings are unreasonable. I want to quit architecture so bad but I'm scared at the same time.

May 31, 22 4:31 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Here's a short thing and this is true for about any career. This is not a suggestion for having a job and picking up a job so you can feed yourself and your family and have a place to live but the key difference is a job is just one moment of employment. A career is a on--going engagement in a particular field for more than place of employment of across a significant part of your working life throughout your life as the significant defining occupation field that you partake.

With that said, if you are convinced that you do not have passion, do not make whatever occupation field that you have no passion for as a career. Passion for the work and field is important. Sure, you can dislike certain tasks or aspects of a profession and still have an overall passion for architecture and yet make a good career. You don't have to passionately love every aspect of a career.

Jun 2, 22 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Thesefourcorners

Hello from Australia! I graduated with a bachelor of architectural studies last year and then worked in a firm for a few months. I quit after finding the profession to be very business and corporate centred (long hours, little reward). I have since enrolled in a Master of Secondary Teaching (Design & Technology). I graduated with a distinction average and worked very very long hours on ideas/projects. I am now wondering whether I quit too soon and should have tried another job or if I should just move on…

Feb 1, 24 8:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: