Archinect
anchor

Caribbean Homes

auninja91

Does anyone have any experience designing a home that could potentially be built in the caribbean?

Jun 30, 17 8:53 am
randomised

Yes, I think Caribbean architects or architects based in the Caribbean would potentially have that experience.

Jun 30, 17 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The state of Oregon is close enough to the Caribbeans. Perhaps ask our resident Caribbean housing expert : Sir Dr. Richard Balkins. phd

Jun 30, 17 11:05 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I think he is currently on assignment, in Sweden. Something about King Gustaf

Jun 30, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Damn... a shame he's going to miss out on this sweet gig.

Jun 30, 17 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes.

Jun 30, 17 11:51 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Any specific place in the Caribbean? There are multiple countries/cities there, each with their own economies, urban needs, and of course unique building regulations. Maybe pick a specific island and research the market...then find an architect working there since you clearly need help.

Of course if you're wealthy and pompous enough you can built any sculptural piece anywhere...
Jun 30, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Well my grandparents are pretty old I want them to be able to move back to their native coutnry..Grenada so southern caribs..They have the land already

Jun 30, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Were you thinking of something like this?  

Jun 30, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

I was thinking more of a concrete and wood

Jun 30, 17 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
I love you guys. ❤️
Jun 30, 17 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Avoid softwood - only hardwood native to the area is resistant to humidity and termites

If using metal in any form, make sure your powder-coat is guaranteed

Most of construction is done in concrete and all its variations 

Finish materials are really expensive - all coming from "the continent"

construction time is about 3 times that in "the continent"

Last but not least, Hurricanes!

Jun 30, 17 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Think along these lines ...

Jun 30, 17 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

that definately looks hurricane proof

Jun 30, 17 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

I'm sure speaking to a local architect would be helpful, because I know the process is different than building in North America. I know there are a lot of "builders" that oversee construction especially if you're not located on the "main" land.

Jun 30, 17 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Granada has British and French influences in its past. You might even borrow some Bermudian attributes to ensure it stays in place.

Jun 30, 17 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

When Bermuda was discovered by the Europeans it was somewhat difficult to colonize the native people as the place was uninhabited.

Jul 2, 17 7:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: