Archinect
anchor

Haven't heard back after invited for interview

uuuuu

Hello fellow Archinect users,

I applied for a position to a small firm last wednesday and got a reply from the partner the next morning, asking me for a start date so they can start scheduling interviews next week. I replied a day later.

It's been 8 days and I haven't heard from their firm yet.. I understand that they might have a very busy schedule but I am very interested in working with the firm. Should I send a follow up email soon or should I wait until next week?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 17 6:32 pm
eeayeeayo

Assuming this is in the US I'd wait until next Wednesday, after the 4th of July holiday. 

Jun 29, 17 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Could be that, or you may have provided a start date which doesn't work for them. 

Jun 29, 17 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Keep applying for other positions.

Jun 29, 17 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
cemoore

Wait until after the holiday, but keep applying elsewhere. I applied to a firm in November, accepted a job elsewhere, and then received an interview offer two months later. They apologized & blamed the delay on the holiday season. 

Jun 29, 17 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Had a similar experience for my first position out of school. Applied to firm A about a month and a half before my current firm and had accepted a job and started working at current firm before Firm A emailed me for an interview. Don't expect hiring decisions to happen quickly in architecture unless a firm is super desperate.

Jun 30, 17 10:23 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Have you tried calling them?

Jun 30, 17 2:03 am  · 
 · 
archinine
I wouldn't recommend calling. This isn't the 70's. The modern equivalent is a professional email ideally in the same thread as the last one received. A phone call is just annoying and will probably be sent to voicemail and ignored. Most places explicitly state in the ad NO CALLS.
Jun 30, 17 9:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

After the partner him/herself asks you about your starting date, you're way past the NO CALLS stage of the initial ad in my opinion. I would call before they forget about you, especially if the partner is not in charge of the scheduling of interviews her/himself. But maybe that's just me, you can always send an email to the partner and hope for the best but if it's a job you really want and they really like your work no way that a phone call will hurt your chances.

Jun 30, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

imho, and experience when in this similar situation I did 3 of the 2, called, emailed, and I hand delivered a followup letter written in haiku! was hired 2 weeks later

Jul 3, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

A brief professional email or call on July 5th would not be out of line at this point.

A small firm without a dedicated HR person may take a little longer to get you onboard.  The government and other paperwork for a new hire can be a real time suck and can wind up on the back burner in a small office where everyone is engaged in projects.

Jun 30, 17 11:09 am  · 
 · 
archinine
@random/theta I feel pretty grateful I've never had to grovel so much for an offer...
Jul 3, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

... or maybe you're just not a talented groveler

Jul 3, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If you consider picking up the phone as to grovel...

Jul 4, 17 2:35 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

I realised some time ago that adverts for offers for Architecture firms were not necessarily for jobs that existed. They were instead for jobs that might exist, should a firm gain work on a particular project in excess of their current staffing. This would particularly be the case for smaller firms, who would gain and shed staff on a frequent basis, as they won / lost commissions. In replying to a job advert and even attending an interview, all you were doing was helping that firm bid for work.

That said, I had one where I applied, and was then informed I wasn't successful, and the cliched 'they would keep my CV on file'. A month later, they asked me to come in for an interview, and I started the week after  and was then there for over 4 years.

Jul 4, 17 6:32 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I hav heard of places that hire & fire, but thank god ive worked at 8 diff firms in my 10yr career path never worked for one as such. also, every firm i was blessed to be hired at were always swamped when I got there.

Jul 6, 17 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: