Archinect
anchor

Design Process

auninja91

As an architectural designer/technologist/draftsmen:

If someone is interested in a residential design of mine, or wants me to do up a set of plans for their own "dream home", what sort of liabilities would fall on me?

Seeing that I'm not licensed, would I be able to just do these drawings/model and then have them reviewed and stamped by a licensed archtiect?

or

Should they be reviewed by a structural engineer?

Jun 29, 17 1:13 pm
Non Sequitur

Still liable and since you're not licensed, I doubt you can even advertise your services for the intent of generating permit/construction docs... and it certainly needs a good sucker p.eng or arch to just review and stamp on the cheap.

Prop best to introduce the client to your office's boss. That way you could still do the work without any liability.  Your client will have to pay adult-size monies for these services thou.

Jun 29, 17 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Depends where the op is. In all but a couple states a residential designer can provide those services. Id say 9/10 homes are designed by non-registrants in my region. About 500k new homes are built wcery year, so unless each architect is desinimg an average of 5

Jul 2, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Homes a year...

Jul 2, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The occasional project won't pay for your insurance and the length of time you should keep your insurance.  It's really not worth your time, unless you go all out on pursuing work. And by it I mean little piddly ass projects. 

Jun 29, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Thanks everyone for your input...

If the services im offering are just design/drafting/rendering...

I wouldn't need insurance for that right?

If a client was going to use these drawings to obtain permits, this is when they would need to be stamped by s.eng or architect?

Jun 29, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You must be pretty new at this. You normally can provide, under most jurisdictions, typical design services as long as you don't sell them for construction or permit purposes. Most municipalities will at least ask for a structure p.eng stamp and it is likely that one can get that done for $1000 or so. It all depends on the city/building inspector, but it's hard to see anyone walking off the street with design drawings and getting a permit. Where are you working/designing?

Jun 29, 17 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Yes I'm very new, sorry about my lack of knowledge on the matter... I guess you can say this is my way of seeking more knowledge. Background: graduated with B.Arch from Michigan about 4 years ago and I'm now beginning to transition into working in Toronto (took a break after moving back to Canada) . 

Jun 29, 17 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
"Just have an architect stamp the drawings" baffles me how even those trained in the profession don't seem to understand the "stamp" is earned from real world experience, rigorous testing, and involves huge liability when used. No one is going to "just stamp" your design sketches. There's a reason Construction Documentation is its own phase and usually the longest one other than the actual construction - depends. Whoever your client is, they are clearly too cheap to hire an architect who knows what they are doing - all the more reason you ought not to bother with them. Spend your time working for/learning from someone experienced on how to put these documents (e.g. a building) together. You'll soon realize how much work and expertise there is after the 'design' and pretty renders.
Jun 29, 17 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
auninja91, what you propose won't fly in Ontario. Some places in the states have very loose laws but not here. Get yourself a steady office gig and work on getting your BCIN or certificate of practice OAA. Then you can produce and seal construction drawings.
Jun 29, 17 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Okay thanks I appreciate the advice

Jun 29, 17 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chuck71

I've had colleagues doing private work out of the office, usually small houses extensions to obtain planning permission (in England). Problem is, the clients then don't ask for a further commission for technical documents or building regulations approval, and proceed straight to getting quotes from contractors, who then use the drawings for constructon. The moment there is a problem though, they are straight at you, asking what the designer is going to do about it?

The answer is of course nothing. The drawings were very clearly annotated to state what the purpose was, and that they were not to be used for construction purposes. If the client and contractor both ignored that, that is their problem.

I'd suggest if you are going to do design work, that you consider doing the same, and annotate very clearly on the drawings both the purpose of their being created, along with a very broad and explicit disclaimer as to what they are not to be used for.

That will make it considerably more difficult for you to be sued, and make any claim of malpractice difficult to substantiate.

Of course, this advice needs to take into account local laws. It may be illegal to even do a cosmetic design for a fee if that is the sole preserve of licenced architects, and it may not be your client you have to worry about but complaints from other professionals.

Jul 2, 17 12:33 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Im surprised many architects dont realise that the majority of housing is designed by non-registrants in most places. Yes, in most states sfr can be designed by non-registrants including cds. I know of many residential designers/firms operating this way. Most suck, but some are doing work that makes the glossy magazines...

Jul 2, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Thanks for the link, it's a good read, very uselful. The clear note of their purpose and "not construction purposes" annotation is a good step to inlcude. I will research local laws on doing comestic design for a fee.

Jul 5, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: