Archinect
anchor

Siefried Giedion (space, time and architecture)

Mworld828

Hi

I'm trying to write my thesis about the following topic. Could somebody give me any advises, clarifications or help?

The work is a comparison between Siefried Giedion (space, time and architecture, and the references to Einstein's theory of relativity) as well as Shinoha's critique of a mathematics reference.

Honestely I'm reading Giedion's book about space, Time and Architecture, however it's definitely not an easy one.. I'm trying to get some easier or a digested text about Giedion and its connection with Einstein as well as the Shinoha's critique..

Many thanks for your help!

Jun 13, 17 5:57 pm
Non Sequitur
How about you try a subject you already understand?
Jun 13, 17 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Disagree. I think it's important to challenge yourself.

Jun 14, 17 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

I can't help you find a "digested text about Giedion and its connection with Einstein as well as the Shinoha's critique." I hear there is a archinect user that goes by the name of Mworld828 that is writing a thesis on this exact topic. Maybe try reaching out to them for some preliminary notes.

Jun 13, 17 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The process of digestion is what will create your thesis. Don't run from it.

Jun 13, 17 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Continuum

As you already may have noticed, at the architectural scale wherein we occupy as human beings, space and time are basically a classical (Newtonian) experience. Physically there are parametric 'non-Euclidean' geometry in architecture. But this is different than an intuitive experience of spacetime and all of its non-Euclidean characteristics. In theory, modern physics and architecture are inevitably disconnected.

Nevertheless, Giedion wrote about Cubism and Futurism as examples of how artists and architects responded to relativity in the early-mid 1900s. After all, relativity implies much more for humanity beyond just the realm of physics. Perhaps we can derive from all of our new understanding that the human intuition is limited to a form of consciousness that is unable to perceive space and time as one. So ironically, we are inextricably connected beyond our own understanding. Bringing this wisdom into architecture is a whole another question on its own that challenges the world's ethics, politics, and economics.

I suggest Bernard Tschumi's "The Architectural Paradox."

Jun 13, 17 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Mworld828

Many thanks Continuum, your comment was very useful. Will work on it and read my other books I bought.
Cheers

Jun 14, 17 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Do kids still read that!...it was written, in 1948...good luck with that one.

Jun 14, 17 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: