Archinect
anchor

How to Participate in Socially Conscious Design

Hello,

I have been working as an architectural designer in NYC for 3 years and would like to start working on more socially conscious architecture. I am inspired by MASS Design Group and have a bit of experience in their line of work.

I like the idea of using technology infused with design to empower local communities. An example that I saw was a design for an umbilical cord clamp that greatly prevented HIV/AIDS infections from spreading in developing countries. I do not want to participate in 3rd world colonialism or western savior-ism. However I do believe interventions on the smaller scale of design with the greatest number of humans impacted is valuable and something I would like to pursue.

I am currently working at a typical design firm doing mid-scale residential designs but am not planning on doing this for more than another 4 months. I would like to pivot my career towards a tighter niche. Does anybody have any insights onto how I can make this pivot? Does anybody know of any organizations,firms, or non-profits I can research? 

Thanks!

Jun 5, 17 4:21 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: