Archinect
anchor

Workstation Laptop for MArch ?

heesabby

Hello everyone,

I am starting school this coming September. I don't have architecture background, but I am aware that I will need a solid laptop!

Currently, I am using Macbook pro 15 retina from 2013, and I may need to upgrade my laptop for the program. The school recommended Dell Precision 5520 with upgraded processor, RAM, and SSD - which will cost over $4000 CAD.  

I want a laptop that is cost efficient, but still has a strong performance for the program. 

I have a couple of laptops in mind,

1) Lenovo Yoga 710 - about CAD 1900 (this laptop met the requirements, but not sure what's the difference among this and the other two below)

2) Lenovo Thinkpad P50 (with RAM & SSD upgrade) - about CAD 3000

3) Dell Precision 7710 - about CAD 3000

Preferably I want to spend around $3000 CAD. Please let me know if there is any other laptop. I will happily take any recommendation! :)

Regards, 

Apr 21, 17 11:38 am
Non Sequitur
3k for a laptop should be more than plenty. Probably too much. $4k is ridiculous.

Consider spending on a real tower pc ($2k) that will outlast and outperform the specs in your examples above and keep the Mac Pro for day to day tasks.
Apr 21, 17 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

We have had good results with HP Envy 17" laptops that we bought at prices well below those of similar Lenovo and Dell laptops.  We bought one in January that meets Autodesk's published system requirements for less than 1200 USD.

Apple will quit supporting your MacBook around 2018 or so.

Apr 23, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: