Archinect
anchor

Transferring to the US with a worthless diploma but a solid work experience, can I make it?

Archinull

Ok a little backstory, I was born in a poor country in Africa and did all my study there, not going to lie the Architecture school sucked and the diploma I got is not recognized in most countries, but my options were limited since I couldn’t afford going study abroad so that’s just the way it is.

Anyway after the architecture school I worked a little bit in my country and then found a job in France that sponsored me for the visa, since then I changed jobs a few times from medium sized office to big star architect (the like of Jean Nouvel and Piano...) and I also worked a little bit with some building Engineering company since I developed a good technical side. Apart from traditional Architecture and construction, I have a solid knowledge/experience with software development that transferred in the architecture world using Grasshopper/Dynamo.

So recently my girlfriend got some offer to go work in the US either NY or LA and I'd like to follow her since I always wanted to live in the US.I tried different kind of office and work (small, medium and big) and I found that I like the big star-architect office, not that they are the best, it's just a personal preference, so I'd rather join a big company in the US. 

But I really have zero knowledge about the recruitment process for Architecture firms in the US, so here are my questions:

- What is more important experience or the school you went to?

-Can my shitty school/diploma block me from accessing the job market in the US? (For some jobs in France if you didn't go to a specific school they won't even look at your resume)

- is it usual for American frim to recruit someone from abroad? Do you think with my background I have a chance to get a job offer?

- How long does the visa process take usually? 

- With 5 years of experience how much should I ask for salary in NY/LA?

If someone here has experience with the immigration process to the US I would be grateful if you'd share it.

Apr 10, 17 10:48 am
Non Sequitur

Work experience will always beat-out the name of the school but... keep in mind that you need accredited academic credentials to qualify for intern architect status in North-America. You might find a job as an entry-level draftsman, but without a real academic you won't met the minimum for most job applications.

Apr 10, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

First, get married. "boyfriend" doesn't qualify you for any visa adjacent to her working visa.

If that is not an option, you will have to get a job before applying for a visa, otherwise you have to leave after your tourist visa  and stay term expires.

Are you licensed in France? 

I came to work for a US company that had offices in my country, so it was a bit easier, but I moved companies during the recession of 2008. I would say experience is more important than credentials, but you have to prove your worth really quick. And, if you want to practice independently, go to ncarb and look at the (almost) impossible, and extremely expensive path for a foreign architect to get a license.

good luck

Apr 10, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Superfluous Squirrel

Why not get a Master's degree in the US? Then the visa issue is figured out and you'll have an accredited degree for an easy path to a license. 

Apr 11, 17 9:17 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it all comes down to $$$

Apr 11, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Archinull

Well thanks guys for the information, it's kind of reassuring to know that work experience is worth more than the name of the school in the US.

but still, it seems being accredited there would help a lot to find a job...

anyway to answer some question, no I'm not licensed in France as you can work here without a licence, the limit is just that you just can't sign documents or open your own office. 

And the idea of going back to school to do a master is not very appealing to me, because frankly I don't think I will learn something new and I don't want to spend money for the master and for living in the US without an income during my studies.

however I might consider doing a PhD, I have some subject I'd like to explore, but I have to start looking of the possibility to do a PhD in the US and the conditions.

otherwise I have to find another way. 

Apr 11, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

a PhD is not an accredited professional degree and will not count towards licensure in North America... it may very well not even help with employment either.

Apr 11, 17 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

but it could help with the visa.

Apr 11, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: