Archinect
anchor

r/place

johnszot

pretty captivating:

http://sudoscript.com/reddit-place/

just begging for a parallel 3-D experiment. anyone?

Apr 9, 17 3:34 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 7 Comments

johnszot

hrm. image is an animation (or should be). peep it here:

Apr 9, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

So I have seen this image but haven't caught the meaning, can you explain? 

Apr 10, 17 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Wood Guy

"Overview: /r/place was an interactive forum hosted on the social networking site Reddit that allowed its users to draw on a blank white canvas by placing a square tile, available in 16 available colors and dispensed every 5 minutes, on its surface. Launched as an April Fools Day event in 2017, the novelty subreddit quickly grew into a social experiment involving tens of thousands of members on the site over the course of its 72-hours run."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/rplace

Apr 10, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

this is fantastic, thanks for the background WG.

I would participate in a 3d version of this...

Apr 10, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I don't know that this is capital A Art. Perhaps as a performance piece. The gif is fairly fascinating along with that write up from OP about the social interactions at play. But the outcome feels trite. It's just a collection of memes. In such a scheme, if you are to try and expand this to society as a whole there is no room for originality, free thinking or experimentation. Emergent it is but that doesn't make it good. Much like all the emergent and parametric architectural troupes these days. Regurgitation = emergence 

Apr 10, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Reminds me of the Million Dollar Homepage

Apr 10, 17 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
think_again

sidenote, r/place was also a place for conflict between people and bots. Its interesting how the first confrontations between robots and humans are evolving online, oh and with trolls as well.

Apr 11, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

...the digital revolution emphasized an infinite terrain, but r/place showed that is a relentless struggle to define a virtual place.

Apr 11, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: