Archinect
anchor

What are the responsibilities of the civil grading engineer? What do they actually do?

Rem007

I have a new residential project located on a hill. I created some retaining walls on the property to indicate the design intent and use of the gardens in relation to the new house designs.

I sent the drawings to the civil engineer and asked him if there are any changes I need to make that I am not aware of. For example, I was particularly concerned about a retaining wall located close to the property line adjacent the neighboring property yet the need to prevent erosion. The most recent rains seem to indicate quite a bit of erosion of the dirt because the storm water channels there. 

Grading engineer's response was, "anything you want"

Months later after plan check the grading plans have continued to been kicked back as incomplete or not to code.

I ended up checking the codes myself and finding solutions to the retaining wall designs and location. Ultimately we determined with another civil engineer that the retaining wall next to the property line would not be possible because of the shoring required.

I would not have known about shoring or the like as I do not do the engineering for the retaining walls.

What exactly do the grading engineers do? Is it not their job to know retaining wall codes? If the design is not feasible, is it not their duty to advise the architect so that we arrive at a solution?

Mar 6, 17 10:23 am
Non Sequitur

Grading engineers deal with site

Structural engineers deal with structure

Retaining wall = structure.

I accept paypall

Mar 6, 17 10:25 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

some grading engineers will do retaining walls

Mar 6, 17 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

indeed, some do, but likely not the type the OP hired given his ignorance on the subject...

Mar 6, 17 11:27 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I typically accept all forms of payment and even encourage bartering

Mar 6, 17 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Grading engineers do grading and drainage plans, on-lot storm water retention, culverts, etc.  Often they do retaining walls as well from my experience.  Usually a good civil engineering office will be able to take care of all that stuff.  whats the mystery?

Mar 6, 17 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: