Archinect
anchor

What do project managers actually do?

manoverde84

Hi guys, I'll be starting a CM program soon and was wondering as to what exactly does a PM in the AEC world actually do? I am looking at some of the job descriptions online for openings and it seems as though that they're all over the map in terms of how different the requirements are for each opening. Some of the classes I'll be taking involve a lot of heavy stuff such as the Earned Value Method or other hard math and project management stuff. I mean do project managers for small firms use all of this? I just want to work for a small or mid size business that does construction, sub or general or even a small landscape design company. I am not looking to go work for Jacobs or AECOM. I figured it was mostly just estimating, bidding, scheduling, visiting the job site, etc. 

Are there any CMs or PMs for firms in here that could shed light? 

Mar 5, 17 5:06 pm
Non Sequitur
Questions like these is why we keep telling you in everyone of your posts that job experience is key for any management position.
Mar 5, 17 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Start working at a firm to get "real world" experience first, ask questions later.

Mar 5, 17 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

project managers manage projects... duh!

Mar 5, 17 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

as the job title suggest the goal is to manage projects. typically time, budget and scope. visit the PMI for more info (pmi.org)

Mar 5, 17 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Questions like these is why we keep telling you in everyone of your posts that job experience is key for any management position.

Agreed. And I am working on this. 

Start working at a firm to get "real world" experience first, ask questions later.

Where should I start? 

Mar 5, 17 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

start at the beginning.  work for someone who is a project manager, see what they do, and learn from them.

Mar 5, 17 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Very generally, almost every project of any size has "moving parts"-- tasks done by several folks (in-house labor, outside consultants, client input, public agency staff), whose various work depends upon others doing their own on time, on an ongoing basis.  This involves coordination, communication, correspondence, occasional meetings, etcetera, etcetera.  The PM manages this process, among other responsibilities.

Mar 6, 17 12:09 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

start at the beginning.  work for someone who is a project manager, see what they do, and learn from them.

I think the hardest part is finding someone who will hire at entry level. I mean do you just asking around and seeing if anyone needs an assistant? 

Mar 6, 17 12:56 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

asking around is your best bet.  you could also look at help wanted ads.  get a job at the place you want to work or the industry you want to work in, tell them you're happy to start at an entry level position when you interview, but let them know you want to be trained up and you want the opportunity to work into management.

Mar 6, 17 7:31 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I could literally ask around the job sites to see if they need any entry level help? As in administrative help, right?  I am assuming cus that is basically all I have to offer right now. 

Hopefully they'll need the help. 

Mar 6, 17 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

At construction companies, they pretend to work all day and stay late without being productive, meanwhile expecting high quality from their subordinates (who actually do the real work) until they get promoted to partner...

Mar 6, 17 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Mar 6, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

LOL. Yes, see that is the impression I am getting because the job descriptions for each job listing seem so varied and vague. I guess I should've just signed up for a certificate not a masters because I am just looking to do some basic estimating, bidding and scheduling. Do project managers use a lot of these advanced equations such as the earned value method? Will all this be applicable on the job? Creating work breakdown structures? 

I figured project managers used software for the majority of the work. 

Mar 6, 17 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: