Archinect
anchor

Can I get a job in San Francisco without an M.Arch (only a B.A.) as a foreigner?

What are the chances of finding a job in the US, specificcaly the San Francisco Bay Area without a M.Arch.

I have a B.Arch from a Mexican University, and 7-years work experience in Mexico in diverse fields including architecture, project management and interior design.

Thank you!

Mar 3, 17 11:54 am
Non Sequitur

Maybe, but not as an architect.

Have you applied and are you any good?

Mar 3, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Hurry up though, the RFP is closed already. But honestly of course you can find work with a bachelor degree in architecture, you're not allowed to call yourself an architect, but who cares when you do what you love.

Mar 3, 17 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

many of my co-workers have B.A,s from universities in Mexico and do quite well here in Bay Area

Mar 3, 17 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Trump may have something to say about more Mexicans coming in and HB1 visas. 

Mar 3, 17 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

The only obstacle is that not all firms would want to sponsor working visas these days. Look up Trump's H1B visa reforms. If you have other ways of staying and working, sure you can. 

Mar 4, 17 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I have read an article how someone working in the Bay area earning 160k/ year but making ends meet. Its interesting how architects would be able to survive this situation with much lower wages in that area.

Mar 6, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 

We have 88 mile commutes...each way .

Mar 6, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

There are more jobs than people to fill them right now- so I would say yes absolutely you can find one. Some of the best people I have worked with only have a BA, employers want to know you can do the job and be profitable. Education does not matter as much as the schools lead you to believe, it all sales fluff to get the 200k tuition.

However, figure 57-70K salary, while rents have eased some plan on about 1100-1500 for a roommate situation or about 2k min for a studio.

Mar 6, 17 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: