Archinect
anchor

Queries for M.arch in Canada after B.arch from India

smileandshine

Hello Everyone

I am Architect from India applying for Architectural graduate Programs in Canada. After completing graduate program and gaining a work experience of around 2 years in Canada i would eventually want to settle in India only.

I have applied to these five universities - U Waterloo, Mcgill, Carelton, Ryerson and U of Manitoba.

I have few questions related to these universities and programs.

1. U Waterloo and Mcgill are among the best but how would you rank other three?

2. Mcgill has a non thesis program for 3 terms(Fall, winter,Fall) will this program be considered as a valid M.arch program in India ?

3. Waterloo demands higher language proficiency score (7.5 IELTS) for Architecture graduate program though mine is 7. I have applied to M.arch Water which is a relatively new program. Will they even consider my application?

4.Can we compare Architectural School in India (CEPT, SPA) vs in Canada (Carelton,Manitoba,Ryerson) for a graduate program

5.Which university can provide me better opportunities to repay my education loan?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and answers!

Feb 20, 17 1:48 am
Non Sequitur
Why bother with s Canadian March when Indian licensing laws are non existent?

Waterloo is the top school in Canada but it will be very difficult to get in as a foreigner. They certainly require a full qualifying year where you will attend key undergrad classes. Have they offered you an interview yet?

Real advice: it is not likely that the international tuition costs will justify a Canadian March unless you're in Waterloo or McGill. Then again, check with the Indian licensing boards and see why they require to practice.
Feb 20, 17 9:06 am
shrutipoonia
1. University of Toronto and University of British Columbia are the options that you should not leave out. They are ranked the best in Canada.
2. CEPT can be compared to ryerson, Manitoba, carleton but does not get anywhere close to UofT, UBC or UofWaterloo
3. If you spending 2-3 years of your life and a huge amount of money for obtaining a masters, then I feel you should not worry about paying back your loans while you are doing your masters but rather on making the best use of resources, professors and time. When you will have a good set of skills after your masters, getting a job and paying back your loans will be very easy.

PS: forgot to mention McGill, its good too. But UofT has been for a long time and still is the best for graduate studies
Feb 20, 17 10:59 pm
Non Sequitur

UofT is no-where near the top.

Feb 20, 17 11:44 pm
smileandshine

Thanks for your suggestions !

Non Sequitur I am still waiting for all the results.Till when can i expect conformations?

Shruti do you have any idea about recognition of M.arch(Non Thesis Program) from Mcgill in India

I have already gone to AIU (Association of Indian Universities) and they have a collaboration with AUCC (Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada).  http://www.aiu.ac.in/International/International.asp

Mcgill is obviously a part of AUCC so will this program be recognised in India ?As far as i know in Indian M.arch is of 2 years and if international program is less than 2 years is not considered as Masters.

I forgot to mention I am planning to join a current architectural startup after coming back to India. Though I have bend towards being an academician along with that.

Any suggestions which university will suit me ? 

I am looking forward to you comments :)

Feb 21, 17 6:17 am
Non Sequitur

Early acceptances usually start rolling around in the month of march. Waterloo will require an interview... either in person or via Skype (if international).

I don't think you need to worry about a Canadian M.Arch being accepted in India. Even the lowest tier graduate schools should be enough. You need to verify with whatever architectural associations India uses.

Feb 21, 17 8:39 am
shrutipoonia
Not interested in getting involved in a discussion regarding "my university is better than yours" just to satisfy someone's egoistic needs. I was just trying to answer someone query, truthfully.
Feb 21, 17 12:19 pm
shrutipoonia
You are right when you said that masters program of a duration less than 2 years is not recognised in India. But I do not know how to deal with it or whom to contact. I just hope you are headed in the right direction.
Feb 21, 17 12:21 pm
sameolddoctor

Why is a master's with less than 2 years not recognized in India? I know many that have said master's degrees, and are thriving in both academics and practice in India...

shrutipoonia
As far as I know about Waterloo, they focus on technical aspects of architecture. UofT on the other hand focuses on radical ideas and innovations. In case you want to go back to India, (which would be an amazing thing to do) you shouldn't be much interested in learning about wood construction, or the building details according to Canadian climate (taught better at Waterloo) ..and rather focus on learning about innovation and entrepreneurship (taught better at UofT, also they have a lot of resources to support your entrepreneurship goals).
Feb 21, 17 12:27 pm
Ok.. but you haven't applied to UofT. Forgot about that!
Feb 21, 17 12:42 pm
Non Sequitur

Nope, the OP did not.

UofT radical ideas? please... every school encourages "radical" and creative thought. 

Feb 21, 17 12:47 pm
shrutipoonia
Told you.... NOT INTERESTED!!
Feb 21, 17 2:35 pm
Non Sequitur

Must be your first day on the internet then.

Feb 21, 17 2:55 pm
First day on the internet trying to avoid a worthless conversation?? Yea... it is!!
Feb 21, 17 2:59 pm
shrutipoonia
Signing off!
Feb 21, 17 3:03 pm
accesskb

Late but I recently saw a UofT Master's thesis project and wasn't impressed.  I've seen 3rd and 4th year undergrads from Waterloo do much better and thorough projects. If I'm not mistaken, UofT Master's thesis projects are also done by students in pairs so I was expecting to see a lot more work.  There are UofT students who produce exceptional work ofcourse, but they have undergrad degrees from other quality schools.

Jun 26, 17 11:20 am
Non Sequitur

Hit that nail square on the head.

sameolddoctor

What a fucking douche you are Non Sequitur? Boring day at work drawing flashing details?

Non Sequitur

Seriously? A little salty are we?

accesskb

Some need to learn how to appreciate truth to make it far in this industry. It is what it is. No need to sugar coat things to make anyone feel good. We all get too much of that already. :D

LightMyFire66

5. Which university can provide me better opportunities to repay my education loan?

To every person who asks this question...  Here's an answer for you.... Why don't you WORK and SAVE MONEY and pay for your education yourself, instead of getting a LOAN and making the BANKERS WEALTHY ???  

Think of it as Welfare, nobody wants to hire a person who got his degree using Welfare.  This is an extreme view to most of you, I know.  But you all wonder why the governments of the world are bankrupt, well, this is a small example why.  And in the process you might actually learn something valuable.  

Jun 26, 17 12:42 pm
Non Sequitur

So, as per your view.... all those silly Americans spending $200k on a degree should have that cash available before starting school? Hard to see how someone could save that much without a pre-existing stellar career. But this thread is about Canadian schools and unless you're a foreign student paying 3x, tuition is affordable while working part time and summer jobs.

vinothkumar

I’m Vinoth. I have completed my B.Arch degree (2012-2017) in India & I would like to study my masters in Canada & also I have 10 history of arrears in my B.Arch degree, so I’m having the doubt that will be eligible for doing masters in Canada.

Sep 23, 18 3:12 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: