Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review

Seetharamv

Hi, I am a final year undergraduate student studying at School of the Art Institute of Chicago and I am looking to apply for internships at offices in Europe, America and India. Can you please give me feedback on my portfolio. 

Portfolio (longer version) : https://indd.adobe.com/view/b1ae69d9-9106-4f4e-bfca-8ecfb2b6def2

Thank you for your time!

Jan 28, 17 12:33 pm
BulgarBlogger

horrible portfolio. you'll never get a job with this. sorry- that's the truth.

Jan 28, 17 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

While I'm not going to be as harsh as Bulgar, this portfolio currently doesn't reflect well on you. Here are the reasons why:

1) You have multiple styles throughout the portfolio. This shows a lack of editing and distilling down to core values. This also shows in the work as well.

2) You have way too much text. You need to grab someone in 30 seconds to a minute. You aren't doing that. You need to highlight essential portions of your projects and get rid of the rest.

3) This said, your text is way more successful in talking about your projects than your graphics. You need to reverse this. Like others I've known that have come from SAIC, your conceptual skills are your strong point. But I don't see response to context. I don't see application of building technologies or an understanding of how a building starts to come together. Yes, this comes more with age and practice, but you need to start your path to understanding how architecture works in school. 

4) Don't put essays into your portfolio. They will never be read.

As of right now your portfolio is working against you. I wish you would have come to the AIAS portfolio roundtable back in December. There were several Chicago professionals you could have received feedback from. Feel free to reach out if you want to do so.

P.S. The toned-down graphics on your website are more successful than the portfolio. I'd suggest using cues from your website.

Jan 28, 17 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Seetharamv

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, i will go back to the drawing board to work on the inconsistent styles across the portfolio. 

I was apprehensive about the amount of text as well, I am working on creating a shorter 3-4 page portfolio to use as introductory material and keep a longer version available parallel to that. What are your thoughts about such an approach?

Bulgar, i appreciate the brutally honest opinion. I will work on the portfolio further. 

Thank you!

Jan 28, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

I'll reply to your email when I have a bit more time, but to answer your question on the teaser portfolio - yes. Mine for example had 3 projects and was included in the PDF with my cover letter, resume, and recommendation letters when sending out to firms, unless the firm specifically asked for a full portfolio. You want to hook them to bring you in for an interview.

Jan 28, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Didn't have time to go into detail- hence my harsh criticism whole on vacation. I just wanted to tell you that as is- this portfolio is working against you at the moment. And honestly- it takes time to create something like this. Its not lime you created something good, but it is unfinished and hence bad. You took the time to create this portfolio and thought it was good. So I wanted to slap you in the face to realize that when you put in time and effort to make something, at least try to make quality- not shit. An imperfect sketch is much more interesting than a shit photorealistic rendering. Pardon my French...

Jan 28, 17 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Seetharamv

Thanks for taking the time to give me more detailed feedback, it was definitely helpful in having me think more critically about the portfolio.

Jan 29, 17 7:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: