Archinect
anchor

How do you link your portfolio when applying for a job through email?

bvilla

Do you attach a pdf copy of it? or do you post a link(issuu)/website address of it?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to keep the pdf down to a certain size and I'm not sure if it's even necessary given the probability that its common to just post an online link to it.....

Thanks

Jan 10, 17 12:52 am
randomised

I wouldn't staple it, looks too flimsy. Go for a beautiful yet elegant Nejire-kumi-tsugi when attaching is my advice, good luck!

Jan 10, 17 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Yelo Architects

Hello @bvilla,

It's worth checking out the website of the firms you are applying to as they often have specific instructions.

Often you will be asked to send your application in a PDF doc smaller than 5mb (some places are more generous with the file limit). Some of the reasons why: 

1. Large files can clog the email server and take longer to open. Often email servers have a limit of ~25mb per email.
  2. Files are often sent to other people/departments, larger files take longer to forward/transfer.
  3. We don't want a mass of miscellaneous work, restricting file size hopefully makes keep your portfolio short, focused and relevant.
  4. It shows you can follow basic instructions. If you send a 10mb+ portfolio then it does work against you. Some firms won't even bother opening your application at that point.

PDF is generally preferred as when there are multiple applications it makes it easier to sort and open them if they are all in one place.

If people are interested after viewing your initial application they will be more than happy to follow any links to an isuu portfolio or personal website to find out more.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Jan 10, 17 7:44 am  · 
 · 

I use a website but send one or two relevant examples if I have the room in the PDF file size. Never go over the file size. If you do send a file name the file with your name "Peter Normand" instead of resume.pdf or resume1 or something that would make it difficult to find your file. Also put your name  on each page if you do send it so when it is printed they can keep all of your work separate from someone else on their pile of people to review. Have a header that you use for each page with name contact and website.

Hope this helps

good luck

Peter N

Jan 10, 17 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: