Archinect
anchor

What about japanese /chinese/ korean architecture ?

Zeydess

Im a novice in architecture and I would like to improve my knowledge about asian fundamentals constructions, im just fascinated by these japanese or chinese temple that are still standing.. Have you any references or even documentaries about buildings in this part of the world ? Thanks

Nov 23, 16 8:05 pm
SneakyPete

You're taking about three different cultures. There is shared history, but any one will be a rabbit hole of learning. 

Nov 23, 16 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

heinrich engels book called the japanese house is a good one if you are into the wooden thing. Nobody lives that way (or builds that way) anymore unless rather old or in remote location. In Japan at least even most timber construction is undertaken in automated factories. The fundamentals are similar, but more earthquake resistant.

Other traditional Asian architecture is different as far as I know so you will need to look for similar books for each country. Best thing is just to visit asia and see for yourself. Can almost guarantee that context will radically change whatever you imagine Asian architecture is all about.

Nov 23, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Zeydess

Yeah I know we're talking about different culture but as an exterior view they look to have similar spirit. Thanks for the reference ! Ahh i would love to see all that directly by my eyes it would be better of course ! But just imagine im trying to plane a travel in this region, what buildings would you say I must see above others in each country?

Nov 24, 16 4:28 am  · 
 · 

if you want to see traditional buildings in japan, Kyoto is the best place. Google will tell you everything you need to know. Apart from that Kenrokuen park in kanazawa has a brilliant wooden villa, and i suppose most any city will have a wooden temple that you can find to see how things used to be built. Houses are harder to get access to, especially in Tokyo. Maybe try the tokyo edo house museum, or a visit to inujima where sejima has renovated a series of old houses in a cool way.

Could not say anything about china or korea. Google will probably take you further.

Nov 27, 16 3:50 am  · 
 · 
Zeydess

Thanks a lot.! I will continue my researchs

Nov 27, 16 9:05 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I took a few courses in college, so I know there are books out there.  Japanese architecture was a class by itself and the one that left the largest impression on me.

I'm sure there's a documentary somewhere on the rebuilding of the Shinto temples.  Can't remember how often they do it, but it seems like the last time was in the 90's (or at least I remember the complaint they had to go to the US for tree's large enough to do it and the lack of those craftsmen still around).  Just Google around.   It's sort of a perfectionist thing where even the nail locations are planned so the streaking over time forms a pattern.

Nov 28, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Contemporary Japanese architecture seems closely related to Scandinavian architecture, especially that from Finland. The same respect for wood and stone and obsession with quality construction is evident.  

Nov 29, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 
kamranzoughi

hi guys

Im looking for imformations about

Dec 16, 17 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
kamranzoughi

some works of kiko mozuna 

Yosue house

Is anybody to help me?

Dec 16, 17 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You've already asked in another thread, when's your homework due?

Dec 16, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

My guess is Monday.

Dec 16, 17 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
kamranzoughi

yes i have tried the google but unsuccessful. i hope there would be japanese here familiar to my question.

Dec 18, 17 7:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: