Archinect
anchor

Fulfilling IDP w/ new career

valerie_tc

Hi All,

I'm a young aspiring architectural designer. I was recently offered a position as an economic development coordinator. I applied to this position because throughout architecture school (both undergrad and graduate), I was extremely interested in the community relationship and impact that architecture embodied. However as i've spent time in professional practice (at a corporate firm), i'm coming to realize how little influence our day to day work relates to community relationships.  Hence i've been looking at economic and community development positions.

Anyways, i'm more than likely going to accept the new job offer. However i'm 600 hrs shy from fulfilling my IDP hours. I have 3 categories left to fulfill- project mgmt, practice mgmt, and construction and evaluation. I dont believe there will be a new architect at my new place to sign off, or really much architectural work for me to participate in - regarding the categories required in IDP. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some different ways i can fulfill these remaining hours as i continue forth with my new job in economic/community development. 

I'll probably never design a large scale building even as a license architect, but i want to keep my options open. furthermore, i've spent about 10 years working towards this license that it is really disappointing that i might not be able to achieve my goal. 

thanks ahead for your input. 

-Val

Nov 16, 16 1:35 pm
SneakyPete

Negotiate the new job to allow you to finalize your IDP at your current job. Don't tell your current employer you're leaving until you get the hours. You're likely SOL otherwise.

Nov 16, 16 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Check out page 16.

Nov 16, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: