Archinect
anchor

Room Efficiency

Is it ever good to design a residential room taller than it is long or wide?

Sep 21, 16 10:39 am
Wilma Buttfit

Depends. I lived in a place that had a tiny bathroom with a 15' ceiling. I wanted to loft it. 

Sep 21, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
midlander

my apt has a bathrrom like that. 7 ft long, 3 ft wide, 9 ft tall. toilet centered on the end opposite the door. love it, feel so powerful sitting there. like a Phoenician king.

Sep 21, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My old house had a washroom with a sloped ceiling. 9ish feet at the short end and at least 12' to14' at the other.

Loved it.

Sep 21, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Unless there is some old-style division in the wall surface (via finish, color, trim, etc.) it will feel very uncomfortable. But with proper treatment of walls and ceiling, it can work well.

Sep 21, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I can only imagine this working in re-use situations, where you're inheriting a ceiling height (for example, a school to apartment conversion). Otherwise I just don't see a reason to do it deliberately.

Canyonesque bathrooms can be fun sometimes though.

Sep 21, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Just don't do 8' ceilings in a large home. Nothing more strange than 8' high x 20' x 40' room .
Sep 25, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 

My 2 cents

The dimensions, scale, and shape of the space are determined by what you are trying to convey.

Sep 25, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

agree with z1111... but in the vein with gruen, creating those proportions with the height will make the width and length seem considerably smaller, something that may have worked in a lower ceiling space may not work or feel right here

Sep 25, 16 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: