Archinect
anchor

Business2Art switch

Susan.wg

Hi guys! I am a recent business school graduate and I am seeking full time employment. I plan to work for a year and doing my portfolio on the side, then enrol in design school (interior architecture or graphic design) the next year. I am applying for masters or associate degree. My question is, I've been suggested by someone who works as an art director in a magazine that I should use this year in between to do design-related work/internships. Problem is, I don't have enough skills to be actually taken by a design firm yet. Also, since art school is so $$$ I need to work to save up some money. I may be offered a job to work in a big corporation doing marketing research/strategic planning. I have no passion for the product that the company is producing at all. However, at least it must be paid better than design firms (sometimes unpaid right?). Another alternative is that I look for business jobs within design/architecture firms or creative agencies. However, the art director also told me that this is a bad idea as I do not want to be branded as the "business person"... Do you guys have some advice? Do you think the advice I received is good?

Jul 12, 16 2:16 am
Non Sequitur

Paragraph breaks would be a decent start. Next, consider why you want to throw yourself blindly into an more education debt for an industry you have little experience with.  You don't need any formal education/training for graphic work and most people can pull off interior design easily. Take some night classes in basic design at whatever cheap community college is closest to you and see what develops.

Building a graduate entrance portfolio from scratch without basic design skills is pretty damn hard... at least it should be for the top schools.

Jul 12, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I don't see the problem with you taking a business or marketing job with an architecture firm while you wait to return to school.  I think it would be good to spend some time in a design firm before you commit to returning to school, and it would improve your resume.

For interior design, an associates degree will not be sufficient for a meaningful position at a leading design firm.  Self-taught interior designers and people with 2 year degrees used to be more common, but not anymore.

The exceptions would be if you are very wealthy and can self-finance your business for a long time, or you have a spouse/partner/family member that is going to set you up with projects.

Jul 12, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Susan.wg

Hi thisisnotmyname, 

How about an associate degree in a renown school, such as Parsons? I thought that in design what matters the most is your portfolio and experience. I am not looking to start my own projects after design school, but to join a renown firm.

Jul 12, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: